American Made Audio!

Hello,
I am new to the forum, finding my way here along my journey to rotate all (well almost all) my equipment to quality, while still affordable and likely vintage American made components.  My first Carver was a C-1 Preamp and I recently traded it for a clean C-19.  Digging deep I've just revised a thread about this preamp from 2008!

I'll update my signature with my systems?  Or is there a more discreet place for this info?

Thanks for being here!
-John

welcome John,

We love photos as well.

You have a beautiful pre-amp, many of us would love to have one.

I am not an expert here on the tubes, but I think they are both used for output from all sources! I think both tubes work on both of the phono inputs.

Welcome to the site, you have a good start on OCCD!

Did I mention we love photos!

BarryG

Could the foam be repaired with Maxell tape??
Iconic speakers, probably the first ever on my teenage wish list. 
Edit: remembering the classic commercial with the JBLs.

Welcome to the forum John, glad you found us and decided to join in on the fun/obsession of all things Carver.

Very pristeen looking vintage system, thanks for the pictures.
What is the model of your Harman Kardon linear tracking turntable and what is the cartridge on it.
How do you like it and how long have you had it, any problems with it ?  

What types of music and or bands /artists do you like to listen to ? 
I like classic rock such as Led Zepplin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Rainbow, Johnny Winter, Tommy Bolin, you get the idea.
As far as newer stuff Joe Bonamassa, Robin Trower (old and new), WalterTrout, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Craig Chaquico to name a few.

Enjoy the site lots of cool info to see and read............... 
  • Thank You 1

The original foam does rot and get messy. These are replacement reproduction walnut frames and quadrex foam from a seller on the 'bay. They take forever to get (though he takes your money quick enough), but the quality is excellent. I think he is the only game in town now for these grills.

The speaker stands are custom, sealed and sand filled, by another 'bayer though he does have a separate website. He is reasonable, quick and a joy to do business with; I've ordered custom stands for my JSE's, these Century's (as well as an adjustable mid-frame to stack an inverted second pair on top) and for some ADS L730s that I sold last Spring.

Thanks Blues Pwr, We have similar record collections and you've reminded me of some music I need to go find!  My girlfriend is really in to Ryan Adams so I've been listening to his music a bunch.  I audition gear with Dire Straits because the recordings are so good and enjoy anything from Brubeck to A.Kraus and Emmy Lou, Terry Allen, Hank and J.Prine on the lighter side to Bob Mould, Stiff Little Fingers, Metallica, Fu Manchu, Kyuss and QOSA on the harder side…just to name a… several.

The HK is an ST-8.  I have been using an Audio Technica ATN-31e MC cart, a Shure V15iii on a second tone arm and am awaiting a NOS stylus for a Sonic Gold cart.  The ST is too complicated and I am too much of a tinkerer but it plays quite well and is American made.  The metal body and frame are noisy, and flimsy. Ive tried various levels of sound deadening materials and if I commit may have to replace some of the metal with hard wood... I continue to work with it hoping it will best my Dual CS5000 with OM30 (a tall order).