Nahash5150

The quietest Room in the world

Perhaps it won't come too much as a surprise, but I know of one place locally (outdoors, Mind you) that there are NO sounds to be heard. My friend and I stood for about 20 minutes in this place just waiting for even the slightest noise to emerge. After a short time, I heard my own heartbeat, and awhile later, there was something that I couldn't readily identify. It was the pocket watch inside of my jeans pocket! I was much younger then and hearing was very acute.

Perhaps it won't come too much as a surprise, but I know of one place locally (outdoors, Mind you) that there are NO sounds to be heard. My friend and I stood for about 20 minutes in this place just waiting for even the slightest noise to emerge. After a short time, I heard my own heartbeat, and awhile later, there was something that I couldn't readily identify. It was the pocket watch inside of my jeans pocket! I was much younger then and gearing was very acute.

I, too, found such a place 25 years ago while on a motorcycle trip out west. Leaving Devil's Tower National Monument riding north into Montana there was a point where the paved road stopped and became dirt. I was on my way to Missoula and fearing I'd really screwed up my directions I stopped to take another gander at my map and that's when I noticed there was nothing to be heard. Not even any wind. Just nothing, a very enjoyable nothing. You can see this place here. It's the point just north of the Wyoming-Montana state line and south of Hwy 212. It didn't drive me crazy but it did have an impact.

Love that story. There are many roads out here that look to be a mistake. While working for the phone company, and traveling to a ranch in the middle of nowhere to fix a phone line, I use the power lines to help guide me to the right dirt road. Where you were traveling was just a few miles from where my mother was born. A logging camp by the name of Moskee. It has not existed for many years. My father used to play dance jobs at the little town of Sundance. Anyway,there are probably more than a few places of silence along the paths in Wyoming.

• Thank You 1

One of my hobbies since jr. high has been designing parabolic microphones.  Every few years I would get an idea, and improve it.  About 20 years ago I decided to buy the most sensitive microphone of every type and design the lowest noise front end for each then choose the best one.  The final product was so sensitive you could hear every sigh , exhalation, and air moving in the room.  In the parabolic dish, my friend 60' away would rub his finger to his face, and it would sound like sandpaper.

• Thank You 1

When I was a teenager my uncle was the foreman of a coal mine near Ebensburg, Pennsylvania. One Saturday he took my dad, another uncle and a group of my cousins down in the mine a little over 1,200 feet. I walked to the end of one of the tunnels. I could hear my heart beat and little else. It was amazing. I'm an avid rock hound and he was always finding things in there for me.

My mother was planning mayhem with a rolling pin when she found out where he took us. Never saw my dad run SO fast. Ah, family

ray   

• Thank You 1

On 2/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, RichP714 said:

Your area may have 'float spa' services available; not extremely expensive, and sensory deprivation can be a lot of fun

image.jpeg.c00e4b6148edaf3e55d73ea0bc212ab8.jpeg

Tried this last year and really enjoyed it.