B-Man

Zumbini - It's Time Again...

Hey Dom, watching Zack grow up is really cool and I know many of us take pride and comfort seeing a generation including guys like him on the rise.

I'm curious and wonder what Zacks take is on climate change. Nothing political. Just Y/N is great.  Climate changed by human related emission of carbon?

P/M is great too, but a view from a young guy at a great school is interesting on this topic..
  • Thank You 1

Zack is preparing for finals at the moment but I'll ask him the next time he calls.

BTW: Zack has a couple of great offers for work this summer. A small start up operation about an hour from Boston (the owners are former MIT students) and a Northrop-Grumman facility in Huntsville, AL. Both jobs involve autonomous systems design and engineering, and both companies offered full-time employment after graduation as an incentive. We discussed the pros and cons of each during a long phone call last week.

He hasn't informed me of his final decision yet but I know they need an answer soon. (He was leaning towards Northrop-Grumman but had misgivings about finding a place to live, moving his stuff down from Boston, and spending the summer alone in the deep south.)
  • Thank You 1

Wow that is great news Dom! The kid is starting to fly already and he's still in school.. Must be proud times for you and mom.eusa_clap.gif

What a decision to make. On one hand Northrop- Grumman is stable and will likely keep him busy in defense all the way through Armageddon.
One good part of defense is that the products don't get subcontracted to other countries and is more stable than commercial aviation for contractors like Northrop.

The company I sold had a mix of both defense and commercial and as markets change the defense gave stability.

On the other hand, that start up of MIT guys doesn't have wage scales and set compensation levels. Could be more opportunity in the startup, at a time when Zack is young and can take risk on his own, without supporting a family.

Very interesting decision to make. Sounds like he can't loose either way. Looking forward to hearing which way he goes.. 

• Thank You 1

Awesome that he is receiving opportunities before he even graduates. He's obviously a smart guy who will land on his feet - whatever he decides to do !!!

Be sure to cover the ratio of income to cost of living. A $70,000 yearly salary in rural Alabama is probably equivalent to $150,000 or more in the Boston area, like living conditions considered.

Huntsville is home to other high-tech companies as well. NASA operates multiple facilities there too. Huntsville is close enough to Tennessee that it would be yet another way to reduce expenses. Tennessee has no state income tax and very low property taxes, as well as cheap insurance, cheap electricity, cheap gas, etc.

I moved from Tampa to Tennessee, keeping my same salary. Once I factored in the much lower property taxes and insurance rates, lower fuel costs, lower utilities, etc. it came out to almost a $10,000 per year savings for me.

Jim is right about the defense contractors - they typically offer great stability and decent benefits.

Congrats on the parenting job Dom - and thanks for continuing to share Zack's journey with us... 
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for the compliments gents. I will pass them on to Zack. 

FYI: I did 3 months AIT at the Army's Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville in 1972 but didn't spend much time off base.
I vaguely remember trips to the US Space and Rocket Center, the Von Braun Museum, and Constitution Village.
It struck me as a pretty but sleepy little Appalacian town but I suspect it's changed a bit in the intervening years.

Six years ago today Zack's band (Crossgate) played the Bricks & Mortar festival. party.gif 
20170826175921852.jpg 

Fast forward 6 years: Zack (far right) with his girlfriend Melissa and frat brother Luke.
20170605155253168.jpg
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for sharing Dom, he looks like a happy well adjusted adult msp_thumbup.gif good job

• Thank You 1

When I spoke with Zack last night he was excited (and a bit apprehensive) about starting his summer job. He choose to work at the MIT start-up NanoSemi, a young, forward-thinking group of mainly former MIT students with a solid presence in the field of communications and high speed data transmission. NanoSemi is located in Waltham, MA, about 20 minutes west of Cambridge.

UPDATE:

Zack is home for a few days in between his summer job at NanoSemi and SAE rush (he is chapter VP this year). He had a busy 3 months with 60 hour work weeks, visits from several friends, weekend trips to DC, Montreal, Maryland and Vegas, and a day trip to RI to see Snarky Puppy at the Newport Jazz Festival.

This morning he headed to Charlottesville to visit his high school best friend. I'll try to get a photo when he returns.
  • Thank You 2

Wow, Dom!

That's a lifetime in one summer.

Give him a big Phi Alpha from a former Eminent Archon of the Wisconsin Alpha chapter. It is from that basement during fall rush that I was given the name "Itch."

• Thank You 1

Will do Steve. I guess that makes Zack the Eminent Deputy Archon.

BTW: Zack is probably going to remain at MIT for his masters, and plans to put in a bid for the Cooke Foundation International Award ($85,000) to do graduate work at Oxford or Cambridge in the UK.
  • Thank You 1

I hope I can meet him when I pass through in early September.  If not, I am looking forward to our meetup.

That would be nice Dennis, but unfortunately Zack flies back to Boston tomorrow evening.

I look forward to catching up with you. Have a safe journey my friend.

Zack stayed in Boston for holiday. He and his frat mate Luke coordinated Thanksgiving dinner for about 20 of his SAE brothers and a few of their parents and siblings. All those days in the kitchen with him are paying off!

20171126135815584.jpg 

20171126135849875.jpg 
  • Thank You 4

Zack is finishing his senior year at MIT with graduation scheduled for June 8. Hard to believe it's been almost 4 years since we drove up to Cambridge for the first time.

461445487_2014-08-19ZackmovingintohisdormroomatMaseehHall.thumb.jpg.06838c9e8eb8c638336759b0fcf3d7a2.jpg

He'll be coming home for about a week starting May 23, then back to MIT for graduation (BS in Engineering and Computer Science, BA in Music), then a week off before he starts a job with a company that is going to pay him well and support him while he pursues his Masters degree. (I've already forgotten the company name but they are another data transmission/management/communication tech start up about 20 minutes northwest of Boston.)

On the music front, he recently started up a jazz/funk band with a few friends. They had only been together for a few weeks when they did this Herbie Hancock number for a live audience.

and here's a Pink Floyd cover:

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 3

Wow !! It seems like just the other day when you told us how much smarter Zack is than me...  :-)

Thanks for the update - you should be a proud poppa !!!

I hope to meet you both some day.

• Thank You 1

Thanks Brian. Yes, Zack is intelligent but, unlike most of his peers, he has many other skills too. Besides his ability to play and enjoy music of many genres, I'm especially proud of his project managment skills and how mechanically proficient (hands-on) he's becoming. I guess all of those father/son projects we worked on for school and scouting are paying dividends.

BTW, he's already talking about starting his own company. He just needs to come up with a line of products to sell. I suggested he start with something small like those mildly abrasive molded thermoplastic RCA cleaning tools that Signet used to sell.

ASIGTOOL.jpg

Great update Z;  it’s good to see your children do well!  I know your proud!

barry

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, zumbini said:

Thanks Brian. Yes, Zack is intelligent but, unlike most of his peers, he has many other skills too. Besides his ability to play and enjoy music of many genres, I'm especially proud of his project managment skills and how mechanically proficient (hands-on) he's becoming. I guess all of those father/son projects we worked on for school and scouting are paying dividends.

BTW, he's already talking about starting his own company. He just needs to come up with a line of products to sell. I suggested he start with something small like those mildly abrasive molded thermoplastic RCA cleaning tools that Signet used to sell.

ASIGTOOL.jpg

I would say that he is a perfect candidate for starting something involving a 3-D printer. It's unreal the products people are making and selling today because of that technology.

I forgot to include a recent photo of Zack in my last post. This one was taken by my sister when we were in Chicago right after the holidays. That's brother Matt (the graphic artist) and yours truly flanking Zack, with my youngest brother Joe (Zack's Godfather) down front.

1986330969_2018-01-14MattZackJoeandmeatMoms.jpg.2fe644f98dad0e5aef2fa834d64874d5.jpg

• Thank You 2

I am very proud to introduce Zachary Joseph Zumbo, MIT graduate! (BS Engineering and Computer Science)

746859473_2018-06Zackaftergettinghisdegree.jpg.06847beb214fb76fc0456d2757d788e1.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 4