Dire Straits CD issue??

stevenlevel

I have had the Dire Straits "Money For Nothing" CD since way back in 1985 or 86.

It was the very first "Full Digital Recorded" CD that I ever bought or was even released for classic rock back then to the best of my knowledge.

The disk actually has 2 tiny pin size dots that actually are caused from the back coating of the CD somehow getting damaged or factory issues with the CDs back paint or what ever they do to create CDs.

I noticed this when I had it up against the light and I noticed I could see right thu these 2 pin size spots. One is in located at the 4th track and the second is far enough on he outer part of the disk it's not messing with music at all.

However, the small pin sized dot does effect playback on the 4th track with a very slight drop out. I'm fairly certain that CDs have error correction that's supposed to account for this type of pin sized data missing or maybe that's only with bad scratches?

Anyway should I take a black marker and put a dot on the back of the CD to see if that will help it and fool the laser into thinking its a pit as opposed to a mirror?

Of course to understand this question you need to understand how CDs work with the series of reflective mirror like spots and the non reflective pits that don't shine the laser back up in a series that end up becoming 1's and 0's in a string that the player understands and thus you have digital music that needs a DAC to change the 1's and 0's into actual music.

Anyone that's a CD expert please HELP........... I don't know if this black mark placed over the pin sized break thru dot will help or hurt the disks playback and this is one of my all time favorite CDs.

I'll buy the vinyl version of this CD in May as it's supposed to be excellent.

Thanks everyone. Sincerely, Steve

It sounds like Laser Rot to me. While fairly common with early LD's it also sometimes happens with CD's.

Basically, it is a quality control issue where the reflective metal layer is not adequately isolated and over time it corrodes, oxidizes or similarly deteriorates.

• Thank You 1

" this is one of my all time favorite CDs"

Great album Steve. I just bought the SACD for $20 (new) and will probably pick up the vinyl version too.

I say try the black dot AND buy another one new for 5 bucks (since it is your fav). Or if u have a SACD player, purchase that format as it sounds amazing.

• Thank You 1

It sounds like Laser Rot to me. While fairly common with early LD's it also sometimes happens with CD's.
Basically' date=' it is a quality control issue where the reflective metal layer is not adequately isolated and over time it corrodes, oxidizes or similarly deteriorates.
[/quote']

Definitely a possibility...

...I say try the black dot AND buy another one new for 5 bucks (since it is your fav)...

Sounds like some good advice... 

I just bought the SACD for $20 (new) and will probably pick up the vinyl version too.
Where? Amazon (here) is $32 Brick wall .

Bought mine at Barnes&Noble down the road. They had MFS in clearance bin for$24.98. Used 20% in store coupon and with tax it was $21.

I also picked up Boston sacd.

Coloring the disc will do nothing to solve the dropout issue. But if it makes you feel better, go ahead and put a Sharpie to it !!

Great album Steve. I just bought the SACD for $20 (new) and will probably pick up the vinyl version too.

I say try the black dot AND buy another one new for 5 bucks (since it is your fav). Or if u have a SACD player, purchase that format as it sounds amazing.

Let us know how the vinyl version sounds 14.gifparty.gif
  • Thank You 1

Let us know how the vinyl version sounds 14.gifparty.gif

The original Vinyl of Brothers in Arms is spectacular, glad I bought it way back when it was new. It's probably one of the last new vinyl albums I bought before switching to CD'S

• Thank You 1

I hear you but this was a very old CD from 1985. It has two very tiny pin tipped size missing data that's causing a single song to drop out for about 1/2 a second.

I can burn it to a CD-R in .flac that should equal the sound of the original Fully Digital Recording that sound mind blowing good :)

I just think it got old and developed these tiny pin hole sized dots on the top surface that only effects one song and used to play thu anyway with the built in error correction that all CDs have.

My Onkyo CD players laser is dying and I'm buying a new one from Kevin or a online store that sells them for $30 but I'll be waiting for about 30 days to get it.

I'll probably just pay Kevin for his and if it costs a bit more it's worth not having to wait and knowing it came from Kevin means it works for sure as well.

Can you play SACDs on a regular CD player? If so it's just the standard playback without any benefit from the SACD as the player does not support SACDs, correct?

Do SACDs playback in surround sound Neo6 or 5.1 or can you select stereo or PCM playback and still get some extra Dynamic range?

With my C-1 at 96 DB S.T.N.R. until I have it up-graded there is no going above 96 DB no matter what type of CD it is.

Can you play SACDs on a regular CD player? If so it's just the standard playback without any benefit from the SACD as the player does not support SACDs, correct?

No. Some SACD can also have a redbook layer. Read the label.

Do SACDs playback in surround sound Neo6 or 5.1 or can you select stereo or PCM playback and still get some extra Dynamic range?

Yes, depending on your preamp.

O.K. my C-1 will not support SA CDs that's for sure. I can playback the disk in my Denon and it plays over the pin hole dot's without the music dropping out.

Kevin and I decided it has to be the laser in my player.

We have a fix in mind so hopefully it will be up and working before too long.

I guess the Onkyo was simply dropping out on the Dire Straits CD as it's laser is so sensitive.

So that's why I never noticed the pin holes on the CD before.

But thanks for the feed back everyone.

The CD will play fine on the Denon so this is another issue with my Onkyo CD player and nothing more.

The pin holes have been there a very long time and I just never noticed them.

Since I was having issues with drop outs I was inspecting everything

The CD was released in 1985 Kev. It was the first completely digital recording that I had bought on a CD.

It even says "Full Digital Recording" right on the CD cover.

The newer disks say "Digitally Re-mastered" which in this case might be the same thing.

I recall paying like $30 for that CD and at the time a CD was about $18 to $20 in 1986

The records I have been buying a re-mastered from the original master tapes and then pressed out. Saying Re-mastered from the original master tapes.

I was also able to get some re-mastered versions of that recording in two different times in .flac files burned to CD-Rs

One was from 1985 and the other from 1992 and they are two different re-mastered versions from two different sets of people that re-master music.

Couldn't tell the difference between the original and the .flac at all.

I don't buy CDs anymore. I simply download the loss-less .flac versions that are the same as a real CD.

The key is finding a CD player that does not cost over $1,000 to play back your .flac recordings.

The Onkyo C-7030 does playback .flac and the Denon 910 does as well.

I'm still dumbfounded that Onkyo does not advertise that ability anywhere I have looked. The manual says nothing about .flac support and even the web site says nothing about it. Odd to say the least..........