trav0810

Anyone here have any minidiscs?

I picked up a Sony Minidisc player/recorder today at goodwill for a whopping $5.99. I have never even heard one of these things, let alone owned one. I don't even know if it works, since I don't have a minidisc to try out on it. I have ZERO need for this thing, but I thought hell, for less than $10...why not. So, if anyone has any of these laying around that they aren't using, I'd like to buy a cheap disc to test the unit, or borrow one to see if it works.

Thanks guys!

I have one.  It's a Yamaha MDX-793.  I like mine.  I just bought it because I never owned one either, but thought they were neat.  You got yours cheap.  Mine was $150.00 from Ebay and had the manual and remote with it and was in excellent shape.  I also have a minidisc portable player, a Sony.  You can get some discs from Ebay, also thrift stores and flea markets.  IF it powers up, you are halfway there......Big Grin.

I have one.  It's a Yamaha MDX-793.  I like mine.  I just bought it because I never owned one either, but thought they were neat.  You got yours cheap.  Mine was $150.00 from Ebay and had the manual and remote with it and was in excellent shape.  I also have a minidisc portable player, a Sony.  You can get some discs from Ebay, also thrift stores and flea markets.  IF it powers up, you are halfway there......Big Grin.

It powers up, but I don't know anything beyond that. I looked at some discs on eBay...some of them are SALTY. The Wall...$200!

None here, either, but I do have a Sony DAC machine, with tapes, in case you get bored with the minidisc.

Can't you just cut down a CD? Most of the info is in the middle anyway...

Or- Buy a pile of used discs HERE

s-l500.jpg
  • Thank You 1

I never bought an mini disc that already had music, to me the whole point of mini discs was that I could record them, so I always used them to record my CDs and take the mini discs with me. I had a home Mini Disc recorder, a Sony disc man (like a Walk Man) and a 4-MiniDisc changer in my car. To me they sounded very similar to CDs. I still have them but I haven't used them in more than a decade. What kind of music do you like, if I have a CD you like I can burn it on mini disc and send it to you.

If your mini disc is a recorder, you can buy a blank mini disc and record it yourself, it's really simple!

I never bought an mini disc that already had music, to me the whole point of mini discs was that I could record them, so I always used them to record my CDs and take the mini discs with me. I had a home Mini Disc recorder, a Sony disc man (like a Walk Man) and a 4-MiniDisc changer in my car. To me they sounded very similar to CDs. I still have them but I haven't used them in more than a decade. What kind of music do you like, if I have a CD you like I can burn it on mini disc and send it to you.

If your mini disc is a recorder, you can buy a blank mini disc and record it yourself, it's really simple!

Mine is a Sony player/recorder. I'm a big Donald Fagen/Steely Dan fan. If the unit works, I will probably buy some blank discs to record directly from Pandora

that's a good deck... some of the Sony's have loading (disc loading) issues and other physical switch problems. I don't think that one has any of those issues.

Dammm, remember the Sony  'EL-CASETTE?"

Wow.. never heard of El-Casette... just googled it.. Looks like an interesting format..... 

....most CD players will play a mini disc. The tray accepts them right in the middle.
Sony mini-discs with their integral, floppy disc-like cases are NOT compatible with standard CD players.
Minidisc.jpeg
I believe you are thinking of the mini-CD:
20160420174424617.jpg

Yep, that's what I was thinking about. Lol