Computer guru's input requested

danowood

Had issues with PC suspected HD failure.  Installed new HD and installed win 7.  All working well until win 7 asks to name PC but when I go to type a name for pc the key board goes dead.  Key board is active before and up until that point.  Any suggestions as to issue?

The keyboard driver is not being loaded correctly by the installer. Is it possible that your PC came with W7 SP1?

If W7 was originally installed using OEM disk, and installed with a retail version, the retail version may not have correct drivers. If you have an external USB keyboard, try connecting it to get past the account creation issue. 

If you are using Bluetooth keyboard, the W7 installer does not have the correct driver available. 
  • Thank You 2

It is a usb keyboard.  Used usb ports on back of MB.  The istaller program is the one I used on the original HD that went bad.  THe installation disk is one that MS tech burned onto a dvd disk over the internet over a year ago. I purchsed it through them and paid for the key.  It was used to install on original HD on the computer I built.  When I replaced the hard drive this is the issue I am getting trying  to install on new HD  And yes it is win 7 sp1

The keyboard driver is not being loaded correctly by the installer. Is it possible that your PC came with W7 SP1?

If W7 was originally installed using OEM disk, and installed with a retail version, the retail version may not have correct drivers. If you have an external USB keyboard, try connecting it to get past the account creation issue. 

If you are using Bluetooth keyboard, the W7 installer does not have the correct driver available. 

Having an external usb keyboard, how do I connect to get past the account creation issue?  thanks 

Once you get to the screen where the keyboard stops responding, unplug it and plug it back in and test. It should force the Windows installer to re-detect the USB devices and test. 

If you have access to the MB's BIOS, check if USB support is enabled.  
  • Thank You 2

make sure the bios is set to USB keyboard and not 'legacy'...or in some bios' it will say "enabled" or "disabled" for legacy support in this case it must be "enabled" for USB support. confusing as shtit.

You can also try using a different USB port.

Certainly find the drivers for your keyboard online and load them during the install when asked about drivers.

that's all I have.

• Thank You 1

yes I can access bios and key board is active in that process I will try those suggestions and get back to you.  I did try already unplugging and pugging back in the kb also tried using a different kb but no luck with that.  will try these other suggestions and get back with you uns

ok, I'm in bios and the usb controller is set enabled  xhci hand-off enalbled ehci hand-off enabled and last legacy usb support enabled.  Didn't change the settings thats the way its set.
 Not sure which drivers to find on the net to download for key board.  The MB is MSI a88x-G41 PC Mate....   the keyboard is a kingston pro fit wired media kb

ok, I'm in bios and the usb controller is set enabled  xhci hand-off enalbled ehci hand-off enabled and last legacy usb support enabled.  Didn't change the settings thats the way its set.

xHCI is usually needed for USB3. As Compwaco says, the keyboards are typically USB2. The USB ports also have a color coding. Blue/Cyan is Superspeed (USB3), and the white is standard USB2. Try the the USB2 ports. 

PS: W7 (and SP1) have no native USB3 support, unless you build a special version DVD which includes USB3. 

• Thank You 2

That seemed to be the issue, it was in usb3 and I did have an empty usb2 pluged into that and started it back up and it's in the install process.... fingers crossed, thanks fellas !!!

• Thank You 1

OK next question, once I get it installed I backed up everything on an external HD off the other HD before it crashed, has all my files on it, is it possible to retrieve it on to this new installation?  When windows installed on this it didn't recoginze my dvd roms my sound card, graphis card, and all the other stuff.  SO not sure if all that driver information is on the back up HD.

If it were me I would install "slimdrivers" (free program) and it will hunt out the latest drivers and update/install them for you. When finished you can remove the program. Then you can copy over your backed-up files without worrying about outdated drivers.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for the tip, in process now.  Only thing worse than haveing to resetup your computer is going through a divorce, and they both are an equal PITA

I know its a bit late, but there is a program called Acronis that does a complete HD backup.
I have used it successfully to replace dead/dying HDs in some Imaging systems. 
  • Thank You 1

OK next question, once I get it installed I backed up everything on an external HD off the other HD before it crashed, has all my files on it, is it possible to retrieve it on to this new installation?  

Drivers are not just files alone, but there are a myriad set of Registry keys/values that are necessary for a driver to work. If the external HD was not a Windows Image or a Windows Backup Catalog, retrieving individual files and adding them to /System /Windows ... etc., is fraught with issues. CW's suggestion is a better path forward.

Each driver has a VID/PID (Vendor ID/Product ID) and sometimes a Subsystem ID (and quite bit of other stuff like a Driver Store etc.).  

When windows installed on this it didn't recoginze my dvd roms my sound card, graphis card, and all the other stuff.  SO not sure if all that driver information is on the back up HD.

If your MB came with a driver CD, it is usually from the MoBo manufacturer and is certified for various Windows incarnations and is the most reliable source for GPU, Audio, Network, Wireless, etc.

Keyboard/Mice/Optical drives will work with generic drivers supplied by Windows Updates. Once you have all drivers installed, create a Windows System Restore point, which also allows a fallback to a stable state, if a driver update causes BSoDs. 
  • Thank You 2