maytag

First Ride

Though my first ride was a mere 1971 Buick LaSaber, the story behind it is one of my favorites. I originally wanted to buy a 1938 Pontiac that was in running condition. God I still want that thing. Upon asking my dad if he would co-sign the $1,700 loan for it, he replied, "Bring a car to the table that I will approve of, that you can get parts for, and I will co-sign a loan." Rats, there's a big fat NO. So, dad owned a 1969 Buick LaSaber that was maroon on the bottom with a white top and a Beige interior. OOOh sexy. Anyway, as it happened, there was a car lot with a Buick LaSaber. You guessed it, it had a maroon bottom, white top, and Black interior. Side by side, it was difficult to tell the two cars apart. Well there you go, I test drove the car to the house, parked the car right behind my fathers, and announced, "Hey dad, I think that I found a car that you will approve of." An offer he couldn't refuse.

1969 MG-B roadster w/ wire wheels.  I pretty much learned to drive a stick when I brought it home.  It was dusk, and the buddy that took me to get it started tailgating.  It turned out there was a cop behind him, and my taillights had gone out (and the plates were borrowed from another car). 
  • Thank You 1

20161009153658636.jpg

I only got to enjoy her for 8 months and then won the only lottery I ever won and was shipped out for basic training at Ft. Campbell    I had to sell it in order to pay for my finance's medical procedures.  One of my many blunders because she was having a great time with Jody while I was gone LOL.

• Thank You 3

Wish I could have been older to get a chance on some of those beasts.

As I am not as "old" as most of you guys (turning 30 this month)

My first was a barn find $500 1990 Toyota Camry that I bought back in 2004

• Thank You 1

Lol, my first ride was a western auto 3 speed bike! Thanks to my older brother I was not allowed to get my license until I could pay my own insurance, being a college student, I used my bike a long time! I got my license about the time I got married in 1979, we bought a ford courier pick up truck! While learning to drive it was a 1973 VW micro bus, pumpkin orange that my mom had!

BarryG

My brother and I used to pretend to drive this while we sneaked under the cover where it sat in the garage for years after my dad found it in a barn.  He bought it in 1965 for $500 as it used to be raced and had Sears bathroom carpeting in it.

When I turned 16, he said I could have it if I fixed it up.  

Not knowing anything about cars, I said ABSOLUTELY! -- if you teach me.  Thus began the long nights & weekends in the garage working on it with more than a few heated words exchanged at times.  In the end, I would not trade those moments for anything as my dad & I worked side by side.  Still got it in the garage to pass on some day.  

Thanks DAD for the opportunity & mechanical knowledge! Beer!

1960 AUSTIN HEALEY 3000:

20161010095504416.jpg 20161010095556134.jpg
20161010095640351.jpg 20161010095711717.jpg
20161010095838434.jpg 20161010095926832.jpg
 20161010100406531.jpg

• Thank You 3

I don't have any pics, but my first car was a 1970 Impala. It was about '79/80 at the time.

The car spent it's early years as a police car then it was 'auctioned off' for a dollar to my girlfriend's uncle. He was on the board of commissioners at the time. He bought it for his son to use while at college. It had a lot of miles on it but ran good and except for the his rattle-can black paint job it looked OK...for a dollar car.

His son got drunk and drove into a deep ditch while on holiday. Never drove it after that.

While the front clip was toast, the frame was still straight. It sat for years until I bought it and a parts car (missing engine/tranny) from him for $200 in about 79. I fixed it up by myself and drove it for about 2 years before I even had my license....that is until second gear on the auto tranny blow out. (I was beating the crap out of it)

I'd have to drop it in 'low' and drive until redline then put it in 'drive' and it would skip second and keep cruising. LOL

I eventually parted it out.