Chops

Chops' Modest System...

So here's what I've got going on at the moment. 

Analog: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB DC w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze | Carver TX-11a | Yamaha TX-1000U
Digital: AURALiC Aries LE w/ Linear Power Supply | Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB Reclocker w/ iFi iPower | Oppo BDP-105D | Roku Ultra | Synology DS215J 6TB 
Preamplification: Parasound Halo P5 | Lounge Audio LCR MK III
Amplification: Wyred 4 Sound ST-250
Loudspeakers: Martin Logan SL3 
Remote: Apple iPad 2 Mini w/ Lightning DS
Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio PLC Puck x 2 & Yalo Bulala | APC H15 
Power/Signal/Speaker Cabling: Wireworld Oasis 7 | Aurora 7 | Ultraviolet 7 | Nova

Right now, I only have a single piece of Carver gear, the TX-11a. However, coming in this Friday is a C-9. And... There just might be an M-500t MkII in the works. 

p1988044252-5.jpg
  p1945642442-5.jpg

p1927550918-5.jpg 
p2078826237-5.jpg 
p1887064395-5.jpg

p2080604331-5.jpg 

p2180441633-5.jpg

p2180441728-5.jpg 
p2180441635-5.jpg

• Thank You 10

Hardly looks to be a modest system to me.   The APC balanced power conditioner is a great  product, and the rest of the system is in line quality wise. I'm thinking that it would take fistfuls of cash to improve it.  

• Thank You 1

Hardly looks to be a modest system to me.   The APC balanced power conditioner is a great  product, and the rest of the system is in line quality wise. I'm thinking that it would take fistfuls of cash to improve it.  

I agree; well put together and definitely high-end. Congrats on an excellent system! 
  • Thank You 1

Excellent! Nice system! Thanks for posting photos, and welcome to the carver site! I think you will fit in here!

BarryG

• Thank You 2

The cat(s) respecting the MLs? Big Grin Very nice system you have, thank you for sharing.Thumb up
  • Thank You 1

That could be on the cover of a magazine, Chops!  Simply marvelous.

Also, a very cool shelving unit holding your vinyl displaying Phil Collins. 

The Sonic Holography offered by the C9 will be a welcome addition, speaking from experience. 

Love the attention to detail too.  

Image result for very nice

• Thank You 1

Wow! Thank you, guys! Such gracious comments.

It's taken a lot of research, trial and error, time and money to get to this point. But as you all now, a system is never truly done. As Asian7 said above, the C9 is on its way. in fact, it will be here this Friday. Also, to continue the festivities, I now (as of this morning by a very awesome member here) have an M-500t MkII on its way as well!

Fun times ahead!!

• Thank You 1

VERY NICE! Good luck with your new Carver components, I'm certain you are gonna love both the C-9 and the 500t-MKII! The C-9 will make those ML's reveal sounds you never thought were there, and image will just explode!

Wow! Thank you, guys! Such gracious comments.

It's taken a lot of research, trial and error, time and money to get to this point. But as you all now, a system is never truly done. As Asian7 said above, the C9 is on its way. in fact, it will be here this Friday. Also, to continue the festivities, I now (as of this morning by a very awesome member here) have an M-500t MkII on its way as well!

Fun times ahead!!

I can understand the time and money spent to get to where you like it. Outstanding!! Now it's time to enjoy the music. Thanks for sharing.

20170201144326433.jpg 

• Thank You 1

Sweet system Chops! A buddy of mine is the original owner of a pair of ML Aerius and they sing.

I see you are using a BAC PLC Puck. How long have you had it and how has it performed?
I ask because I'm considering a custom dual circuit BAC puck to replace my 35 y/o Discwasher surge protectors.
This duplex outlet contains 2 dedicated 20A circuits which feed 4 M-500(t) power amps via a 2-stage DIY sequencer.
(My preamp and sources are fed by a 15A dedicated circuit via a Furman PS-8R III PLC and 4-stage sequencer.)

20131029143225871.jpg
  • Thank You 2

I have been looking for a black P5!

How do you like it? 

The P5 is excellent! Robust, detailed, refined and a great sounding built-in DAC. I tried a couple other preamps before, but this one clearly blew the other two way out of the water. 

After going through several high-end AV receivers and amps, and not wanting to deal with multi-channel stuff anymore, I decided to go back to basics and go back to a 2-channel setup.

First I tried a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr. It was a good sounding pre, but the blue LED's on it were blinding and the volume control via the remote jumped way too much. Plus it was a touch too lean/forward sounding.  

p1415556663-5.jpg

Next up was a McIntosh C-15. It was alright. It sounded pretty good, but again, the volume was too touchy. It would go from quiet to loud way too quickly, and there was a channel imbalance. 

p1554561159-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

Nice system. Always wanted to hear a pair of MLs. What do they sound like? Revealing? Soundstage?

Thanks and Welcome!

The ML's are great. Natural, uncolored sound. The bass reaches amazingly low, well into the mid 20's and extremely detailed. I have a pair of NHT 2.9's, and these ML SL3's extend just about as deep. But of course, the real treat with these speakers is the midrange and top end. It all just sounds so natural and effortless. They produce an excellent center image for dialog when watching movies and such. Any information that's in the recording, you're going to hear with these speakers, but they are in no way hyper detailed or analytical. They just tell it how it is. The sound stage changes with the recording. Sometimes it stays right in between the speakers, then other times, the sound is well beyond the speakers, so very recording dependent. 
  • Thank You 1

Sweet system Chops! A buddy of mine is the original owner of a pair of ML Aerius and they sing.

I see you are using a BAC PLC Puck. How long have you had it and how has it performed?
I ask because I'm considering a custom dual circuit BAC puck to replace my 35 y/o Discwasher surge protectors.
This duplex outlet contains 2 dedicated 20A circuits which feed 4 M-500(t) power amps via a 2-stage DIY sequencer.
(My preamp and sources are fed by a 15A dedicated circuit via a Furman PS-8R III PLC and 4-stage sequencer.)

I've had these Pucks for about 8 months now. The first thing I noticed was absolute dead silence in the system. Better detail, more space and air between instruments and vocals. As an added bonus, picture quality on the TV is also better. Blacker blacks, smoother, cleaner transitions in shading and less grain.

The one that I have behind the left speaker, I have that speaker and the APC plugged into it. The one behind the right speaker has that speaker and the amp plugged into it. The rest of the system is plugged into the APC.  
  • Thank You 1

I am curious about your Audio rack/stand. Is it a DIY or a commercial product?

Hey there!

The rack is actually something I bought off of eBay years ago. I want to say I got it back in '01 or '02. It was some guy who was starting his own business. He offered the natural aluminum as well as black anodized aluminum. All of the shelves are real, solid wood, not ply or particle board. If I remember correctly, he offered four or five different types of wood. It's very well made and has served me well over the years.

I saw his racks on eBay for about a year or so, then it all disappeared. 
  • Thank You 1

I am curious about your Audio rack/stand. Is it a DIY or a commercial product?

Hey there!

The rack is actually something I bought off of eBay years ago. I want to say I got it back in '01 or '02. It was some guy who was starting his own business. He offered the natural aluminum as well as black anodized aluminum. All of the shelves are real, solid wood, not ply or particle board. If I remember correctly, he offered four or five different types of wood. It's very well made and has served me well over the years.

I saw his racks on eBay for about a year or so, then it all disappeared. 

Extruded aluminum channel is widely available in various profiles and sizes with an assortment of connectors.

When I worked for Carlos Sound and Cases we used something very similar to make road cases for guitars.
More recently I used it at work to frame machine panels and build small platforms and structures.  
They even sell it at Walmart (search on "framing extrusion").

• Thank You 1

Extruded aluminum channel is widely available in various profiles and sizes with an assortment of connectors.

When I worked for Carlos Sound and Cases we used something very similar to make road cases for guitars.
More recently I used it at work to frame machine panels and build small platforms and structures.  
They even sell it at Walmart (search on "framing extrusion").

I never knew that extruded aluminum was so readily available. I've been contemplating the idea of building a new, bigger, heavier duty rack, and this sheds new light on the subject. Thanks for that post and link!

Hmm...  Think

Very nice system there Mr. Chops.

Which tuner do you like the best, Carver or Yamaha?  I always thought that the Yamaha tuners were excellent for AM radio.  (Not that we listen to AM anymore.) 

That's a good question, because they both sound great. The Carver pulls in stations a little better, but the Yamaha has more tuning options. The Yamaha has a little more bass and a fuller midrange, but the Carver actually seems more natural in the midrange and has a more open, wider sound stage.

And this is why I have both. Both are in great shape, both sound great, both perform great, and both were top notch units back in the day. I couldn't bring myself to choose between one or the other, so I kept both. LOL

On the Carver, I have a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna. With the Yamaha, I have a C.Crane FM Reflect.  
  • Thank You 1

So this happened today... Signed by Bob Carver himself!

p2194732829-5.jpg

p2194732830-5.jpg

p2194732832-5.jpg

p2194732932-5.jpg
  • Thank You 2

Congrats on your new acquisition Chops. I assume a recap is imminent. Perhaps an MKII mod as well?

The M-500(t) is my favorite Carver amp. I bought my 1st in 1982 and now run 4 of them in my 2 channel system.
20160728120517463.jpg

• Thank You 1