Chops

Chops' Modest System...

Congrats on your new acquisition Chops. I assume a recap is imminent. Perhaps an MKII mod as well?

The M-500(t) is my favorite Carver amp. I bought my 1st in 1982 and now run 4 of them in my 2 channel system.

Thanks! And actually, it has been recapped, AND modded already... By DaddyJT. It has also been running mono for the past few months as a center channel amp.  Big Grin

Nice system, Chops!   
And it's nice to see another ESL guy here too.
Welcome to the CarverSite  

Thank you, and likewise!

Yes, ESL's are great aren't they? 

So let's talk about the C-9 - a.k.a. - Sonic Holography...

I was watching a short video that Jazzman53 posted a while back demo-ing his beautiful home brew ESL's. He was playing a song from Elizabeth Shepherd, "Open Your Eyes". I liked the song so much I went to Tidal and started listening to some of her other albums as this particular one isn't on there. 

ANYWAY... As I'm sitting here listening to her album "Rewind". Track 3 named "Pourquoi Tu Vis" comes on and I'm welcomed by an acoustic upright bass (which I used to play), Elizabeth's wonderful voice, extremely true to life, fleshy finger snaps, and a Fender Rhodes piano. 

Her voice and the bass stay localized between the speakers, her dead center and about 4 feet in front of the speakers, the bass just off center to the right and about 2 feet behind the speakers. The FR piano kind of randomly floats around the stage with only a few notes come from along side my head or behind me, but the biggest thing are those finger snaps. They're literally in the room, moving side to side, forwards and backwards, up and down, frighteningly real!

I don't even have my speakers set up to the manual's recommendations. I simply can't. My family complains already about the speakers being in the way of the TV. If I were to put them where they "should" be (about 5 feet apart), the couch on the side of the room would be rendered useless and many family members pissed, leaving me to watch movies and such on my own. Hmm... That's not such a bad thing...  Think  LOL

At any rate, I still have my Martin Logan SL3's in their optimal locations for my room/listening position. All I did was toe them in a little bit more than recommended by ML just to help out the C-9 some. I must admit, it seems to have worked! 

Also, I opened up the C-9 before installing it. Just like outside, it looks like brand new inside as well. I honestly don't think this unit was ever hooked up to anything and used. No marks at all on the RCA jacks or power plug prongs. I'll still recap it of course, but the caps in there show zero signs of any kind.

A few pics as usual...

p2195280347-5.jpg
  p2195280344-5.jpg

• Thank You 4

That's a gorgeous C-9 Chops. CONGRATS!

FYI: Last year I was gifted a very clean, rarely used C-9 by a guy my youngest brother went to school with.
I sent it to a Carver Site member (4krow) who has been refurbing and upgrading C-9's for several years.
Besides replacing the electrolytics he installed a "better" transformer, gold RCA sockets, and a new AC cord.
After playing with it for a while I decided to keep using the SH in my BillD-modified C-11 so I Karma'd it HERE.

Some before and after photos: 
20161214210838260.jpg
20161214210930567.jpg

20161214211027352.jpg
20161214211138249.jpg

20161214210349826.jpg
20161214210605787.jpg

• Thank You 3

That's a gorgeous C-9 Chops. CONGRATS!

FYI: Last year I was gifted a very clean, rarely used C-9 by a guy my youngest brother went to school with.
I sent it to a Carver Site member (4krow) who has been refurbing and upgrading C-9's for several years.
Besides replacing the electrolytics he installed a "better" transformer, gold RCA sockets, and a new AC cord.
After playing with it for a while I decided to keep using the SH in my BillD-modified C-11 so I Karma'd it HERE.

Thanks! I'll definitely have to look into doing that with mine. It sounds great as is, so I can only imagine what it would sound like all hot-rodded up!

Also, took the past couple of hours to do some rearranging.

p2195417336-5.jpg

p2195417343-5.jpg

thanks Chops, and Jazzman53 for the heads up on Elizabeth Shepherd I'm listening to her now on youtube and and she has some really great sounding stuff

• Thank You 1

Just thought I'd add some daytime pics from this morning...

p2200558176-5.jpg

p2200558230-5.jpg

p2199753657-5.jpg

p2200558232-5.jpg
  • Thank You 3

That C9 looks good in there, Chops.  How's it sound?

Aesthetically, would you not want the tuner below the Yammy w/ the 19" handles on it?  For some reason, I always like bigger items on the bottom and build up vs the upside down cake look.  My guess is you want the tuner more accessible being 4 inches higher.

Thanks for posting and enjoy the music!  Phones
  • Thank You 1

That C9 looks good in there, Chops.  How's it sound?

Aesthetically, would you not want the tuner below the Yammy w/ the 19" handles on it?  For some reason, I always like bigger items on the bottom and build up vs the upside down cake look.  My guess is you want the tuner more accessible being 4 inches higher.

Thanks for posting and enjoy the music!  Phones

The C-9 sounds decent. It's old, so it needs to be recapped, not to mention modded as well. What I don't understand is, why do they upgrade the power cord on the C-9 but not on the amps? To me, it would make a lot more sense on the amps. Anywho... It sounds alright, only because I don't have the speakers and listening location in the right spots. I really can't. It's not practical in our multipurpose living room. Sometimes it really sounds great though. Depends on the recording.

I have the Carver on top of the Yammy because the Carver is spotless all the way around, and I don't want little round foot marks on the cover from something sitting on it. The Yammy has a few very light scratches on the cover, so it doesn't matter as much. 
  • Thank You 2

So this happened today... Signed by Bob Carver himself!
p2194732829-5.jpg
p2194732830-5.jpg
p2194732832-5.jpg
p2194732932-5.jpg

That amp must have some miles on it! Pretty sure it was signed by Bob after I mkII'd it - I don't remember ever having a signed amp on my bench, but that would be pretty cool!! Glad it's in good hands;-)

• Thank You 1

So this happened today... Signed by Bob Carver himself!

That amp must have some miles on it! Pretty sure it was signed by Bob after I mkII'd it - I don't remember ever having a signed amp on my bench, but that would be pretty cool!! Glad it's in good hands;-)

I had it signed at CF2016 in Cabin 5. emwink.gif 

• Thank You 1

Well I can tell you it's been in good hands for the past few years at least from you and loner_t.  I'm very glad and honored to call this amp mine now! To have an amp that has been handled by you, loner_t, and Bob himself! How could I go wrong? Big Grin
  • Thank You 1

Really nice stack in that really nice rack.

I never thought I would say this..., as I prefer rack-handles but...

Looking at your stack, for aesthetic parity..., how would it look without handles on the TX?

Keep the pics coming.... 
  • Thank You 1

Really nice stack in that really nice rack.

I never thought I would say this..., as I prefer rack-handles but...

Looking at your stack, for aesthetic parity..., how would it look without handles on the TX?

Keep the pics coming.... 

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, it would look more uniform to have rack handles removed from the TX, but I don't want to. I think Carver gear looks incomplete and/or odd without the handles. In fact, I'm on the hunt for rack handles for the M-500t now. Looks like that's going to be a challenge all on its own.  
  • Thank You 1

[...] I think Carver gear looks incomplete and/or odd without the handles.
My sentiments, exactly.  Totally agree. I'd even call it naked, or armless, w/o the rack handles. 

In fact, I'm on the hunt for rack handles for the M-500t now. Looks like that's going to be a challenge all on its own.

Rare as hen's teeth!  My 500t is armless too. Brick wall

[...] I think Carver gear looks incomplete and/or odd without the handles.

My sentiments, exactly.  Totally agree. I'd even call it naked, or armless, w/o the rack handles.

I prefer them sans rack ears myself, mainly because it's almost impossible to get a decent color match.

In fact the handles I bought from the dealer with my 1st M-500t didn't match each other OR the faceplate.

Neither did the dozens of pairs of rack ears that I tracked down over the course of the next 30 years.

Eventually I gave up and sold or gave them away to folks who were still pursuing their dream.

The last 2 pairs I had went to Bill Dibble the year I joined CS!. They didn't match his amps either...

Note the differences in color and handle height on these 2 sets I purchased from Stereo Studio in the late 80's:  

20151214214812391.jpg 

20151214215046385.jpg20151214215149880.jpg

• Thank You 2

In fact, I'm on the hunt for rack handles for the M-500t now. Looks like that's going to be a challenge all on its own.  

My moral responsibility to find you the matching rack handles. As Z says, it is indeed painful. 

I'll eventually fine some rack handles. It's no huge rush or anything. I remember my brother's TX-11 didn't come with handles, and when he moved to Florida, he purchased some here. They pretty much matched up colorwise, but the handles were taller and more rounded, much like the ones shown above.

But now, I think I have to focus on my TX-11a. As far as I know, it's all original, and here lately, it seems to be weaker and weaker at pulling in stations once you get up at and past 98 MHz. Most of those stations are 8 to 30 miles away, and it's having a hard time picking them up, much less locking onto them. Yet, 97.1, which is over 70 miles away right on the west coast, it picks up almost crystal clear. And that station is only 11.5 kW. The closer ones are 25 kW and higher!

Wattage from a commercial radio transmitter is only one factor. The antenna array will determine where the power is directed. Some of them are quite directional. 

Wattage from a commercial radio transmitter is only one factor. The antenna array will determine where the power is directed. Some of them are quite directional. 

Yes, I realize that. But like I said, all of these stations came in crystal clear a couple weeks ago, but in the last two weeks, they have all been getting weaker and not being able to lock onto them. However, the Yamaha below it is doing just fine.

And just as a reference, the Carver is using the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna and the Yamaha using the C.Crane FM Reflect antenna.  

But now, I think I have to focus on my TX-11a.  

Have you seen THIS and THIS ? I know you have a very good antenna, but is the Cactus an option to try?

But now, I think I have to focus on my TX-11a.  

Have you seen THIS and THIS ? I know you have a very good antenna, but is the Cactus an option to try?

Yes, those are just J-Pole antennas. I've even considered a modified cubical quad antenna. But since these have to be indoors, I didn't want copper pipes stuck all over the walls. 

Again, it's not an issue of the stations or the antennas. It's the tuner itself. It's 30+ years old and all original.  

Again, it's not an issue of the stations or the antennas. It's the tuner itself. It's 30+ years old and all original.  

THIS may help. Send Retriever a PM and see if he can assist.  

• Thank You 1