• Announcements

• Nahash5150

Member Map   04/08/18

To all users: I will be updating the Member Map, so please update your Location on your profile. Please see THIS POST for details (Click on the Member Map announcement title to get link to show up). Thank you!
Chops

Chops' Modest System...

Again, it's not an issue of the stations or the antennas. It's the tuner itself. It's 30+ years old and all original.  

THIS may help. Send Retriever a PM and see if he can assist.  

Thanks LT!

I seem to remember seeing this thread a while back, before I was a member here and before I even bought the TX-11a. It was back when I was researching tuners still.

I'll send Retriever a message soon and see what he has to say.

I need to get a move on selling some gear first though. Things are starting to pile up and need to make room for more Carver gear... Oh crap, did I just say that?!  Shhh Whistle
  • Thank You 2

[...] ...and need to make room for more Carver gear... Oh crap, did I just say that?!  Shhh Whistle
And CarverSite wives everywhere react...20170212074841679.gif

• Thank You 1

[...] ...and need to make room for more Carver gear... Oh crap, did I just say that?!  Shhh Whistle
And CarverSite wives everywhere react...20170212074841679.gif

I don't know how I missed this post!... 

Haha. True! My girlfriend just rolls her eyes and asks me not to tell her how much things cost. She knows I'm going to get something regardless. All she says is "It's your money".  tongue
  • Thank You 2

Well, it arrived! The BillD C-1 preamp! 

p2227411398-5.jpg

p2227411396-5.jpg

p2227411400-5.jpg

p2227411574-5.jpg
  • Thank You 6

Nice Chops.

Although sound is the top priority, I do like a system that looks aesthetically pleasing.... IMHO, yours is more symmetrical now with that addition.  Nice job! 
  • Thank You 2

Nice Chops.

Although sound is the top priority, I do like a system that looks aesthetically pleasing.... IMHO, yours is more symmetrical now with that addition.  Nice job! 

Thanks!

And yes, sound is top priority. I was told this C-1 only has about 13 hours on it, so it's got a ways to go to be fully broken in. It already sounds darn good, dare I say better than the Halo P5! The only thing it's really lacking in is the extreme low bass. It's a bit light in that area, but maybe, hopefully that will fill in with time.  

As far as the rest of the sound, it's pretty amazing right out of the box. The C-1 does look pretty good sitting there in the rack though, doesn't it?!  Party!

...I was told this C-1 only has about 13 hours on it, so it's got a ways to go to be fully broken in...
I seriously doubt that any of the components in your C-1 have a "break in period". That's the realm of mechanical systems like speakers and drum heads.

...It already sounds darn good, dare I say better than the Halo P5! The only thing it's really lacking in is the extreme low bass. It's a bit light in that area, but maybe, hopefully that will fill in with time.
The C-1/C-11 is extremely neutral and it's frequency response curve is ruler flat. It's more likely that your P5 is tuned to be a bit bass heavy. If you prefer more bass I suggest placing the speakers closer to the walls or using the tone controls.

• Thank You 1

I meant burned in, not broke in. Sorry. You know what I mean though.

The C-1 may be neutral, but compared to several other preamps I've used (Parasound, McIntosh, Musical Fidelity, Accuphase), the C-1 is a bit light on the extreme low end.

Again, that might fill in as time builds up on the new components.

Glad that the unit made it safely to you. You just never know what waits in the truck lurking for a package attack. When LT sent this to me, he used a really good box. Then when I shipped it to you, I used another really good box for that double box feeling. Anyway, these units are worth keeping up to speed.

• Thank You 2

Glad that the unit made it safely to you. You just never know what waits in the truck lurking for a package attack. When LT sent this to me, he used a really good box. Then when I shipped it to you, I used another really good box for that double box feeling. Anyway, these units are worth keeping up to speed.

I was extremely glad to see that the C-1 arrived safely. In fact, so did the boxes that it was shipped in.

Initial listening shows much promise on the BillD modded C-1, by your skilled hands I might add.  Thumb up

Since everyone loves nudie pictures, I pulled the C-1 out this morning and shot some pics under the hood, both top and bottom. 

p2227799281-5.jpg

p2227799680-5.jpg

p2227799576-5.jpg

p2227799746-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 4

Since everyone loves nudie pictures, I pulled the C-1 out this morning and shot some pics under the hood, both top and bottom.

Beautiful.  That's a lot of work on those RCA's. 
  • Thank You 1

It is. I certainly don't think I'd have the patience for that kind of work on a daily basis.

Very nice system ChopsThumb up

Thanks for the pics.....

MCP :-) 

Thank you, and you're welcome!  Party!

A few extra tweaks done to the BillD C-1, one of which was swapping out the black rack handles for the proper anthracite ones, and going back to the original red LED like it should be. 

As for the system, reinstated the trusty old Technics SL-1700 MK2 (still need to fit my Ortofon 2M Bronze to it) and pulled out my Mr Speakers Mad Dog magnetic planar headphones.  

p2259461944-5.jpg

p2259461947-5.jpg

p2259462288-5.jpg 

Also, the addition of these two little guys...

p2259461951-5.jpg

p2259462168-5.jpg

p2259461949-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

YES!!!!! The red LED!!!!!eusa_dance.gif

Yes, no more blue laser beam shooting across the room, aimed directly at my retinas. Thumb up

Ahh... Calm, soothing LED's. Well, except for the APC on the bottom left. 

p2259684744-5.jpg 

So when are you going to mod that?emsmiled.gif

LOL! Don't think I haven't thought about it. It would look great with amber LED's in there. 

Some more night time pics. This time with some vinyl spinning on the ole' SL-1700 MK2. And I'm about to swap out my brother's 2M Blue for my 2M Bronze. Only then will I see how I feel about the built-in phono pre in the C-1. 

p2260991824-5.jpg 

p2260991825-5.jpg 

p2260991823-5.jpg 

p2260991987-5.jpg 

p2260991951-5.jpg 

p2260991982-5.jpg 

• Thank You 3

The Ortofon 2M Bronze is mounted and aligned, quickly and accurately, thanks to the MoFi Geo-Disc and digital stylus scale. Thumb up

Playing the same Level 42 World Machine album, instant improvements are realized!  

p2261063231-5.jpg 

p2261063228-5.jpg 

p2261061481-5.jpg 

p2261061483-5.jpg 

p2261061486-5.jpg 

p2261061610-5.jpg 

• Thank You 2

Playing the same Level 42 World Machine album, instant improvements are realized!  

Yeah well, those "instant improvements" were only realized for the first two tracks. After that, there was so much nasty inner groove distortion, it made my ears bleed. It was horrible. Apparently, that MoFi Geo-Disc alignment isn't a match with the Technics. I dug out the Ortofon protractor, and after about 10 minutes of tweaking, now there's no distortion of any kind anywhere on the record. I've listened to 3 different albums and all play crystal clear all the way through.

And to finish off a late night of listening before bed, what better vinyl to spin that some Genesis?! Cool

p2261141213-5.jpg 

And so this happened today... Sorry for the "sub" - par picture quality. Been a long day and I was in a hurry.

p2278088995-5.jpg

p2278088996-5.jpg

p2278089000-5.jpg

p2278088998-5.jpg

p2278089158-5.jpg

• Thank You 2