Chops

Chops' Modest System...

What's the benefit you derive from the ceramic cable risers?

Chops will have his own answer - but my understanding is that cable wizards believe having cables off the floor ensures a more pure transmission of signal, unaffected by any potential field affects that might be introduced by touching carpet flooring, or building materials (nails) in the floor and baseboard.  On the risers (insulators) potential signal interference now distant with cables up on those ceramic risers.

... Me, I think they look cool, and let the dust bunnies fend for themselves....
I grew up in west central Illinois where one of the biggest employers was McGraw Edison.  (we had a Haeger Pottery there too) both now gone.  McGraw Edison made those ceramic components that sat on top of a post or knob on telephone poles. Now, people sell these on Ebay for whacked prices.  If I had $5 for every one of these that I shot with my .22 back in the day as a bored teenager, I'd be rich!  People really get into these LINK.

20170412175456323.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Looks... And a little bit easier to vacuum around. They do nothing for sound.

Anybody who claims they make a difference in sound is a little  Loco
  • Thank You 3

Chops will have his own answer - but my understanding is that cable wizards believe having cables off the floor ensures a more pure transmission of signal, unaffected by any potential field affects that might be introduced by touching carpet flooring, or building materials (nails) in the floor and baseboard.  On the risers (insulators) potential signal interference now distant with cables up on those ceramic risers.

... Me, I think they look cool, and let the dust bunnies fend for themselves....
I grew up in west central Illinois where one of the biggest employers was McGraw Edison.  (we had a Haeger Pottery there too) both now gone.  McGraw Edison made those ceramic components that sat on top of a post or knob on telephone poles. Now, people sell these on Ebay for whacked prices.  If I had $5 for every one of these that I shot with my .22 back in the day as a bored teenager, I'd be rich!  People really get into these LINK.

20170412175456323.jpg 

You're absolutely correct, except for the part about people selling them on eBay for "whack" prices. IIRC, I have 12 or 16 of them. I bought them all from the same seller, and it only cost me $45 shipped to my door! And he hand picked them for me. He asked what kind of colors and style I preferred, and he went through his collection and picked them out for me. 

If you look in the hifi catalogs and online stores, they sell 3 (THREE) of them for $60, then they add shipping on top of that.  
  • Thank You 1

Looks very nice Chops.. Bet that 500T and those MLs make some sweet music.. Would love to hear that setup!  Thanks for sharing..

Thanks Jim!

Come on down sometime. I'll let you listen to it anytime you want.  Big Grin Thumb up

Again, meters are not far enough to the right chops. ;-)

Yeah, well...  watch this!

Got another addition to the system today... An M-500t MkII by Nahash5150! Another beautiful Carver amp. I only wish it had matching gold plated RCA jacks on it like my other one. Maybe I'll bring it to Carver Fest and ask someone to install some. Other than that, I love it, and it looks great sitting along side it's twin! Dancing

First off, my lil' helper for the evening...

p2316759209-5.jpg

p2316759211-5.jpg

Up and running! Vertically bi-amped, and will eventually get an active crossover with DSP, which in turn I will be physically bypassing the internal passive crossover networks in the Martin Logan SL3's.

p2316759212-5.jpg

p2316759361-5.jpg

p2316759456-5.jpg

p2316759490-5.jpg

• Thank You 4

John-Williams-Steven-Spielberg-The-Ultimate-Collection-un-imprescindible-para-mitomanos_reference.jpg

As I'm sitting here listening to this album with my SL3's bi-amped, I can't believe the kind of bass I'm getting out of them. They sound better and are extending just as deep as the little JL e110 subwoofer. I haven't even bypassed the internal crossovers yet for the woofers! Everyone says the SL3's get much better in the bass region when the internal crossovers are bypassed and you use an active crossover.

Man, if simply doing vertical bi-amping with these two M-500t MkII's improve the SL3's this much, I'm going to be in for a real treat when I go active with the setup.

Also, I have easily noticed a great increase in stereo imaging and stage width and depth. For the first time ever, while listening to Diana Krall's new album "Turn Up The Quiet", it felt as if she was physically in my family room singing.

• Thank You 2

Your meters are slowly gettin' up there chops. 

....but we want to see your volume knob go to "11"Big Grin

I had it cranking pretty good with John Williams, peaking 50+ watts. 

With the Diana Krall album, not so much. It's a bit edgy sounding at times. If you listen closely, you can hear "Trouble" meowing in the hallway. LOL
  • Thank You 1

Sounds great chops!---well at least on my iPad ??

Yeah, I bet. LOL 

Nothing huge, but since adding the dbx Driverack Venu360, I was getting some hum in the system, which I ultimately tracked down to the stupid cable box which we never use. Disconnecting the coax cable from the wall eliminated the hum, but then the clock wouldn't update on the cable box, so disconnected it completely, even though it's still sitting in the system.

What I added was an old Technics SH-4060 timer that my oldest brother bought brand new back in 1983 or so, in the German PX. Shortly after coming back home in 1986, he traded it to my other brother for his Sansui AT-20 timer. The Sansui is long gone but the Technics is still here and it's still in perfectly mint shape. It looks brand new.  

Nothing is connected to it. It's only there for a clock, and it's plugged into one of the many outlets on the C-1. Just another nice mint piece of vintage gear in my system.  Thumb up

p2409035085-5.jpg 

p2409035087-5.jpg

p2409035088-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 3

Hi Chops, 

You have a marvelous rig there, my friend!  

I was just wondering if you have the Drive Rack setup to run the system as 2-way (a single crossover frequency-- panels fed highs, mains' woofers fed full bass spectrum, sub overlapping mains woofers) or 3-way (two crossover frequencies, -- highs to panels, mid-bass to mains woofers, low bass left/right channels summed feeding sub).  

My own system evolved from a 2-way with one sub overlapping the mains woofers to a 3-way with two subs crossing in at 60Hz via a 48db/octave LR filter slope.   With the mains woofers now unloading to the subs below 60Hz the system sounds cleaner and rocks like you wouldn't believe--- just suggesting what's possible if you haven't already gone 3-way.     
  • Thank You 1

Hi Chops, 

You have a marvelous rig there, my friend!  

I was just wondering if you have the Drive Rack setup to run the system as 2-way (a single crossover frequency-- panels fed highs, mains' woofers fed full bass spectrum, sub overlapping mains woofers) or 3-way (two crossover frequencies, -- highs to panels, mid-bass to mains woofers, low bass left/right channels summed feeding sub).  

My own system evolved from a 2-way with one sub overlapping the mains woofers to a 3-way with two subs crossing in at 60Hz via a 48db/octave LR filter slope.   With the mains woofers now unloading to the subs below 60Hz the system sounds cleaner and rocks like you wouldn't believe--- just suggesting what's possible if you haven't already gone 3-way.     

Thank you sir! It's certainly come a long way since joining here. I have loner_t to thank for a good part of that! Thumb up

I have the Driverack running in a 3-way, though there is a lot of overlap. I have the SL3 woofers crossed over at 16 Hz @ 48 dB LR, and the JL sub crossed over at 50 Hz @ 42 dB BW. 

Playing around with crossover points and slopes for several weeks and running room correction, this combo gives a perfectly smooth, seemless response.  You literally can't tell there's a sub in the room. All of the bass seems to emit from the mains all the time.

I understand what you say about relieving the SL3 woofers from the low end, but honestly, I don't play my system loud enough to stress them at all. I'm lucky if I ever see these M-500t amps swing up near 50 watts peak. Remember, living on the 3rd floor of an apartment with a deputy sheriff living below me limits my volume knob from turning up past the 10 o'clock position.  

Chops,

I've enjoyed watching this work in progress.  Looks (and I'm sure sounds) awesome.  Sorry you have the 5-0 and neighbors within earshot to limit you from optimal listening volume. For critically listening, I typically listen at 80dB - 83dB.

PhilDent 

Since I came home sick today (only at work 18 minutes this morning), I couldn't lay down and fall asleep at all. So I got back up and decided to install the new M-500t covers that were signed by Bob Carver at CF2017, thanks to our friend, loner_t!

Anyway, on with the pics. I decided to rearrange the system since I didn't want anything on top of the amps, so I had to remove the Technics timer.

p2542488980-5.jpg

p2542488994-5.jpg

p2542489004-5.jpg

p2542489100-5.jpg

p2542489105-5.jpg

p2542489143-5.jpg

p2542489147-5.jpg

p2542489150-5.jpg

p2542489201-5.jpg

p2542489240-5.jpg

p2542488869-5.jpg

p2542488871-5.jpg

p2542488876-5.jpg

Unfortunately, the writing isn't very noticeable in the rack with that shiny finish.

p2542488973-5.jpg

p2542488971-5.jpg

• Thank You 4

Chops,

Love the new setup.  I think it highlights the amps well and allows them to breathe.  Maybe you could try some lighting that would make the Bob Carver signature fluoresce. Big Grin

I'm curious what kind of 5 string bass that is behind your speaker.  It kind of looks like an Ibanez SoundGear. 
  • Thank You 1