• Announcements

• Nahash5150

Engine Upgrade   04/19/18

The website will be receiving a security and feature patch. But I didn't get to it yesterday, so stay tuned for reschedule.  
Chops

Chops' Modest System...

UncleMeat you’re correct that running a tube amp without a load is bad, but for most solid state amps it is no problem.  The channel with no load is putting out just enough power to run the meter.

Especially with a single sub, changing the location will change the standing waves in the room, so experimentation is the way to go.

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, BrianD said:

Especially with a single sub, changing the location will change the standing waves in the room, so experimentation is the way to go.

And the really nice thing about running the system through the dbx Venu 360 is that I have total control over phase for the sub (all channels actually). Not only do you have the option of keeping the phase "Normal" or "Inverted", you can also adjust it infinitely between 0 to 180 degrees. Since I've got the mains and sub crossed over at 62 Hz, I can (and did) run a test tone via the internal tone generator in the dbx at 62 Hz and gradually slid the phase back and forth between 0 and 180. With my eyes closed and listening carefully, I ended up at -100 degrees. I then checked with an SPL app on my phone and ended up at the same -100 degrees. All done in the listening seat via laptop control. 

• Thank You 1

It sounds like you got it dialed in good.  Another way you can try is to run your 62 Hz test tone, and invert the phase on the sub.  You can probably do that with the dbx, but you can also just swap the wires on the sub (if it is driven from an external amp).  Then move the phase to make the SPL minimum.  When you switch it back, it should be flat through the crossover.

• Thank You 1

32 minutes ago, owen said:

Just Beautiful! :) I bet is sounds beautiful as well!

Thank you Owen, and welcome!

It doesn't sound too bad. ;)

I am now the proud father of TWINS! 

Thanks to loner_t for sending it to me. His babies are once again together, the way they belong. Thank you LT!

After reconfiguring the dbx for true dual mono subwoofer output (instead of stereo), tweaking phase and gain multiple times, I've got things dialed in pretty good. According to the RTA on the dbx, I've got a pretty darn flat response across the board, solid all the way down to 20Hz. One sub I have the Phase switch at 0 and the phase knob around 90*. The other one the Phase switch is at 180* as well as the phase knob around 270*. 

I know it doesn't look like it, but the speakers and subs are 1/4 way out into the room. The room is small, roughly 12 x 13. 

p2818351457-5.jpg

p2818351494-5.jpg

p2818539140-5.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

10 hours ago, Chops said:

Thanks to loner_t for sending it to me. His babies are once again together, the way they belong. Thank you LT!

You are welcome.

Glad to see them put to good use in a loving home. If you decide to play Skyfall (James Bond) at night, just turn it down a wee-bit during the explosion and chopper scenes, otherwise your neighbors may object. =D=

• Thank You 1

Well, I wuz going to watch Skyfall tonight, but after doing some browsing around on HBO Now, I stumbled across Deepwater Horizon. I've been meaning to watch this movie for some time now, and read somewhere that it was a good one for some strong bass content. Long story short, it did not disappoint. With one of the first main explosions, these two subs were pressurizing the room like crazy. I played that part back a couple times, the last of which I watched the woofers... A solid inch an a half easily of excursion! Just a little more than half of what they are capable of (2.5" Xmax). I can't imagine ever reaching that as these little beasts are plenty loud enough in this room.

Very strong, very deep, very clean bass, and very impressed!

In other words.... DAMN! 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Here is a couple you probably already are familiar with, but if not: 

"Master and Commander" W/Russell Crowe, 

and "U-571" (WWII submarine movie)

Edited by Blues Pwr
  • Thank You 2

Hi Chops,

What kind of speaker  Cables are you running in the back of those speakers to the amp. Looks very thick and serious. I just rewired my with 12 gauge,  but I really like how  clean  it looks with the hook up.I'm not sure if I could afford what you have going there,

Looks very nice..

• Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Blues Pwr said:

"Master and Commander" W/Russell Crowe, and "U-571" (WWII submarine movie)

Some more to add to the list - Sting's Brand New Day (DVD/CD), Flight of the Phoenix (2004 Movie with Dennis Quaid) and The Fifth Element (opening scenes with the alien aircraft landing).

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, david h said:

Hi Chops,

What kind of speaker  Cables are you running in the back of those speakers to the amp. Looks very thick and serious. I just rewired my with 12 gauge,  but I really like how  clean  it looks with the hook up.I'm not sure if I could afford what you have going there,

Looks very nice..

Hello David,

Those cables are Audioquest CV-8 with 72 volt DBS battery packs. They are equivalent to 12 awg. They're a little bit on the stiff side, but not bad. This is a 10' pair that I bought off of Travis here on the forum for I think $220. You can typically find them online for around $300+/-. To me, they are definitely worth the money. 

Thank you sir for the kind words!

• Thank You 1