CD restoration, scratch removal..

Ar9Jim

I brought home a bunch of CDs from work that had been exposed to a machine shop environment for years. Many of them won't play and should likely be thrown away..
One time last summer I bought some used CDs at a second hand disc store. They had a heavy duty looking machine behind the counter, and the salesman looked at each CD as he rang up the total.. He noticed some scratches and ran a couple of the disc through his machine. It took about 5 minutes each so I looked around the store some more.. The disc looked like new when the machine was done with them.
I noticed a bunch of consumer type machines for this purpose. Anyone tried these and found one that works well? 
Thanks. 

Before you invest in a machine try buffing them out with Novus 1-2-3 plastic polish. I did a dozen or so for my sister by hand but if you have many a random orbital sander with a buffing wheel is recommended.

NOTE: Buffing will not restore playability if the scratches are so deep that they penetrate the data layer. 
  • Thank You 1

Dennis that cleaning machine looks very cool.
I've taken to searching goodwill/second hand stores for old releases.
They, for the most part, seem to sound better than most new releases. 
  • Thank You 1

I have had great results with a pencil butane torch. A few quick passes melts the surface scratches. It's amazing to see, actually. Try it on some 'don't care about' discs first. If scratches persist, don't overheat them, use a 'one year' car polish on them, it really does a great job. Buff out in radial lines, not circular. I've taken discs that don't read at all to playing superbly in  no time. A freshly fixed cd should be backed up on a computer right away as many of the fixes don't hold up for long periods. The torch trick holds up the longest in my experience.

• Thank You 3

I have had this machine for at least six years.  It works great for me.    

It looks like a multi-step sand/polish process like wet sanding a paint job?  The non-orbital sanding/polishing does not leave circular scratches, or are the sanding/CD discs offset? 
  • Thank You 1

I have found that if the surface is so severely scratched to require wet sanding it is probably a wasted effort.  So I no longer use the wet sanding step. 

On heavily scuffed disk I just use the three different polishing compounds and buffing pads.  On lightly scuffed disk the final polishing compound normally produces a perfect mirror finish. 

If I get a Netflix DVD that has problems playing I can usually get it to play with just a quick polish.  No disappointing lost movie night.  
  • Thank You 3

• Community Admin

I have had this machine for at least six years.  It works great for me.    

That looks like a very simple, easy-to-use and effective solution, Dennis.  Took a look at the website, and saw the pricing options - one option is "Push Nuts." ???  I didn't see anything about those, or their purpose, or ?  

Since you have one, what is that option?  I'm guessing it's the button that holds the CD in place?  

That looks like a very simple, easy-to-use and effective solution, Dennis.  Took a look at the website, and saw the pricing options - one option is "Push Nuts." ???  I didn't see anything about those, or their purpose, or ?  

Since you have one, what is that option?  I'm guessing it's the button that holds the CD in place?  

Was not an option when I bought mine.  Mine has a threaded nut.  It works great.  I am sure for home use a threaded nut is fine. 

The polishing compounds they offer are on the pricey side.  I tried cheaper automotive polishes for plastic.  They did not work as well.  NOVUS polishes work well but the cost is about the same.  I decided to stick with their polish.  It works and I use so little it last a long time. 

• Thank You 1