Warning when adjusting a Shure M97xE while in a external head shell!

stevenlevel

Just learned the hard way that a Shure M97xE is not a single part and comes with a die-cast aluminum mounting shell that's actually glued to the cartridge itself.Brick wall

I was simply trying to move the cartridge forward in a original Technics  aluminum head shell and it snapped off with very little force. The die cast mounting shell is actually glued to the cartridge and when pushed side to side to get the cartridge setup with the proper amount of overhang it just fell off.Yikes

Now I need to use crazy glue or a tiny amount of epoxy to glue the mounting shell to the metal cartridge body.

I was shocked because the force was so little and the cartridge comes with small mounting screws that get lodged in pretty tight to the head shell requiring you to move it side to side to get it to slide back or forth for proper adjustment.

The mounting screws  are just large enough to get lodged rather tightly into the standard head shell making movement rather touchy.

So be careful with your Shure M97xE since I was being careful and still seperated it from its mounting shell that I thought was part of the actual metal cartridge body.

While setting it up loosen the large mounting screws so you don't put any lateral force while moving it forward or backward in the mounting head shell of your choice.

No real big deal but I'm forced to buy some crazy glue now and make sure it's glued back on properly and straight while the glue is drying.  Totally surprised by this and am glad it's now my number 2 cartridgeBrick wall

I had one delivered to me in 2 pieces. Used: Loctite Instant Adhesive QuickTite, worked great.

Is the Loctite Instant Adhesive cheaper than your basic crazy glue? I'm used to using different viscosity's of Crazy Glue since I used to build Imported 1/72nd scale plastic models of the different military aircraft and Crazy Glue( not it's correct name and a brand name) was my go to glue for landing gear and any other very tiny parts. I know this has nothing to do with home audio or Caver equipment but here is a photo of my best models that were airbrushed by hand with a dual action (Control on air out and paint out) airbrush. 

5a8d9cc1aa3e8_1to72ndscalemodelphoto.jpg.a10a57ce3cea6150ecbf6c45a19278cf.jpg

• Thank You 2

No, The Loctite stuff is pricier.

I use it at work to repair industrial power control devices that I can't find suitable replacement parts for. It does a much better job on metal to metal bonds than run of the mill crazy glue, but you aren't looking to hold more than a few grams so use what you have on hand.  
  • Thank You 1

FYI: If your "crazy glue" is a typical cyanoacrylate adhesive it has a short shelf life, a year if unopened and only 30 days once the seal has been breached.

BTW: For metal to metal bonding I prefer a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld or Loctite Weld. 

This is the one I use these days. Been using this for the past few years now and the stuff never goes bad on you or dries up. You can come back to it after several months of it being opened, and just squeeze the sides and it comes out again. Great glue! Plus it isn't watery, so no worries getting it where you don't want it.

e1400240-516f-44b2-8803-ae64f4484e41_300 

I bought some Crazy glue in a 3 pack of $ 2.99 and it worked great.

Nice tight bond and perfectly straight like it was before. This way I can throw out the tube I used and not worry about the shelf life since the 3 tubes were all air tight and needed a  puncture to break the seal.

I don't have a car so getting to the Hardware store is a pain in the butt. However, there is a local CVS about a block away from my apartment that had the glue. Cool

• 1 month later...
I totally get using what works best on metal to metal contacts and in a perfect world that's what I would use as well. But on my limited income I had to use the cheaper stuff that was all of $3 for three separate tubes.Cool