loner_t

Internet Privacy gone?

US internet service providers will soon no longer need consent from users to share browsing history with marketers and other third parties.

The law, passed last October days before President Trump was elected, and due to take effect by the end of this year, would have forced ISPs to get clear permission from users to share personal data such as "precise geo-location, financial information, health information, children’s information, social security numbers, web browsing history, app usage history and the content of communications”. 
Furthermore, ISPs would have been ordered to allow their customers the ability to opt out of the sharing of less sensitive information, like an email address.

Typical of the new administration

Uhh... This was put into motion BEFORE the new administration.

On another note, how in the hell can this sort of crap be even remotely legal?! It's total BS!!
  • Thank You 1

I've always operated on the assumption that anything involving the internet has never been truly private. 

• Thank You 4

NOTE:
If this thread turns into a political debate it will disappear.  
  • Thank You 2

Why are ISPs being allowed to remove the Opt-In/Opt-out? It at least provides consumers control over what they are willing to share. For example, location information can be used (e911) or abused (divorce cases).  Consumers should be aware of what they are sharing,  otherwise identity theft is a significant issue.

• Thank You 1

I've always operated on the assumption that anything involving the internet has never been truly private. 

Only safe assumption... 

Back to the privacy thing! When I was teaching intro to Computer Science at ETSU! I stressed to my students that the internet is not private, also email through the university system could very well be monitored! Then to really inflict fear in them, hehe I stressed files on the public university may be found through the "freedom of information act!"

This was back on 1996

!

Barry

I've unlocked the thread as the topic is relevant.

If it goes off into a political opinion again the entire thread will be deleted.
There are no lack of places on the internet for political debates, this is an audio site.

Please respect that.  

Thank you. 
  • Thank You 6

It seems to me for a techie it would be possible to come up with a program to mask you or your identity and or block pertinent information or tag it with a fake identity to steer the culprits away from your browsing history no?

Everything you do online comes to you through your home or cel provider ISP. They have records of what you did and where you are regardless of any masking you use. 

Only via free/public wifi can you be anonymous.  

The funniest thing about the outrage over this, and especially the way the media is reporting it, is this. The "law" that this repeals was a ruling from the FCC in October 2016. People are acting like there has been a change to some long-standing privacy protection. When, in fact, we are just going back to the law as it was written up until last year.

It seems to me for a techie it would be possible to come up with a program to mask you or your identity and or block pertinent information or tag it with a fake identity to steer the culprits away from your browsing history no?

There's software as well as hardware to do that, but only within a network. However, with nothing between the modem and IPS, they still see everything you're doing.

I'm sure there's hardware out there that installs between the wall and modem that still "shows" the IPS your modem and IP address, but diverts everything else through a jumping IP generator. The key is, whatever it is, it needs to be BEFORE the modem.
  • Thank You 1

Only via free/public wifi can you be anonymous.  

There is IEEE MAC address information left on public wifi. Unless spoofing or anonymizing is used, there is personally identifiable information.

There is an entire US CALEA/LI aspect to any access, wireless or wired that comes into play. 

Over-the-top encryption built in to WhatsApp, Snapchat, and similar apps can still hide personal information.   

No device is anonymous. But buy a used tablet on CL, use it sparingly only on public wifi.....emwink.gif

The funniest thing about the outrage over this, and especially the way the media is reporting it, is this. The "law" that this repeals was a ruling from the FCC in October 2016. People are acting like there has been a change to some long-standing privacy protection. When, in fact, we are just going back to the law as it was written up until last year.

The law, redacted, and due to take effect by the end of this year, would have forced ISPs to get clear permission from users to share personal data such as "precise geo-location, financial information, health information, children’s information, social security numbers, web browsing history, app usage history and the content of communications”. Furthermore, ISPs would have been ordered to allow their customers the ability to opt out of the sharing of less sensitive information, like an email address.

Do you want the ability to opt-in/opt-out from this information being in the public domain?

I would like to avoid ISPs sending me SPAM. Today, DNS redirects are used by ISPs to create a 'walled garden'.  

@PDR.. your approach is interesting.  

It's not that I'm  interested in becoming an ISIS member or some clandestine activity BS just wanting to eliminate BS adds etc. when your address info whether email or physical is exposed.  I hate advertisement and it's unwanted intrusion into my space.

This is an interesting topic - please keep politics out of it so we can continue to discuss.