Rod H

What do you do for a living?

Nothing brilliant... Asst store manager for Ace Hardware... Thrills...

• Thank You 1

It is, but it's retail. Retail means dealing with people. It's just blah work.

Industrial Engineer...We design, fabricate and install custom logistical systems for product movement. We also develop custom software solutions to support such systems...
  • Thank You 1

Underground Utility Contractor trenchless sewer and water main installs for the most part.

• Thank You 1

Facility / Design Engineer.  I am part of the team that design's new machine's for the plant (mechanical) and deal with various plant related needs. Currently, I have one large duplicate of a design I was part of 7 years ago currently in fabrication, plus several smaller machines under way.  We produce image transfer products for print.
Building expansion's, modifications to machines, dealing with outside contractors for work to this facility and the others.  I'm currently up to my ears in equipment coming in from a closed facility in Scotland and finding a home for it internally.

On top of that I am what I call a semi-pro photographer.  I have gallery space in downtown Asheville and sell enough to fund my mad money and then some.  That money buys my camera gear, stereo equipment, trail running and cycling goodies.  This feeds my soul and I do not have to rely on it to put food on the table which is why I call myself a semi-pro.

I am a very hands on person. 

• Thank You 1

Institutional Equity Trader (30 yrs)

What this means?

My Brokerage has four basic groups:

Research (analysts research public companies and issue recommendations)
Sales (this group calls on large money managers, hedge funds and provides our recommendations)
Investment Banking (facilitates IPO and secondary offerings of companies we follow)

Trading (my group) - is how our firm gets paid for our research. I buy and sell stocks for the customers
who use our research. I also provide execution only services for money managers (Five billion up under management.)

(I went to Wisconsin Madison Engineering School right to finance... go figure) 

Now please explain this to my wife Applause
  • Thank You 1

Mechanical Design Engineer for foundry.  Deal mostly with Hi-temp (1600F to 2150F) alloy (nickel-chrome) steels designing furnace fixtures for industry.  Some larger customers include John Deere, Caterpillar, Ford, Harley-Davidson, American Axle, and countless others.

• Thank You 1

Started as an O.D. grinder in an aerospace shop.. Then spent 6 years as a Tool & Die maker.. Then started my own aerospace shop in 1998 and then sold it about 6 mo. ago..   52 yrs old now and retired..  May start another business someday but maybe not.. 

• Thank You 2

Systems and Network Engineer. Cable and Telecommunications (since 1992). Software Engineering prior to this in late 80s (1984-1992). 

Used Car(ver)s Salesman, too. face20.gif (Thanks Chops!). 
  • Thank You 2

35+ years of Heavy Highway road and Bridge construction inspection and oversight for the Florida Dept of Transportation and Turnpike System. Currently working on the 2nd phase of Orlando's SunRail Commuter Rail.

• Thank You 1

I'm currently "semi-retired" working 20 or so hours a week as a handyman (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc.).
Before that I spent 30+ years as a pressman, shift super, prod mgr, plant mgr, and the last 10 as plant/process/project engineer.
Hobbies include music, guitar, photography, and theater (set design/construction, lighting, and occasionally acting/singing/dancing).
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Used Car(ver)s Salesman, too. face20.gif (Thanks Chops!). 

LOL! What possibly could you be referring to?...  Whistle
  • Thank You 1

I love threads like this!! To see all the diversity among all of you is awesome :)

I work here as a mechanic/ operator.

http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2016/12/fmpa-s-cane-island-power-park-important-to-florida.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/KUA-Cane-Island-Power-Plant/207406809272846

Next month it will make 19 years at the plant and I still love my job !!

Its a 742 megawatt combined cycle site .

Before this job I was at a 25 mw diesel plant in the Florida Keys for 13 years. That

was great also.

• Thank You 1

I love threads like this!! To see all the diversity among all of you is awesome :)

I work here as a mechanic/ operator.

http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2016/12/fmpa-s-cane-island-power-park-important-to-florida.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/KUA-Cane-Island-Power-Plant/207406809272846

Next month it will make 19 years at the plant and I still love my job !!
Its a 742 megawatt combined cycle site .
Before this job I was at a 25 mw diesel plant in the Florida Keys for 13 years. That
was great also.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY !  welcome to club 55

• Thank You 1