Rod H

What do you do for a living?

I am a retired criminal....no wait, um, I worked for Bell System in many different positions. My favorites were line repair, and central office equipment installation. really, this career was just the one that was best for me, but some of you other guys have jobs that I would really liked too (no, no not crack whore). Machining parts, and design , the old way, no computers. Those would be great. Engineer or is it train drivers as I call them. Man just to have that horn in traffic.

Owner small auto recycling yard, enjoy dealing with people (most of the time)

Whoa dude, that right up my alley. Been wheeling a 4Runner for about 10 years now. I bet you got all cool great gear, with a salvage yard, you'd have your pick.

But alas, I'm getting out of the hobby and selling all the gear. Sad Face.
20170406143356287.jpg

20170406143811915.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

I'll play Party!

Building Automation technician. (title is "engineering assistant") I play both roles. As well as managing small projects and accounts. Designing and implementing solutions.

We generally handle most of the large facilities - hospitals, large schools, airports, gov't, datacenters, ect. Mostly HVAC.

I do everything from troubleshoot HVAC to writing code for labs.

Currently 26 years flying big gas stations that pass gas to other planes -- yes, I'm a gas passer. Big Grin

Since one picture is worth a thousand words, here are 5,000 words worth:

20170406151532134.jpg

20170406152141198.jpg 

20170406151650742.jpg 

20170406151846522.png 

Also fly for a major airline:

Image result for southwest 737 cockpit night

...and yes, I consider myself very blessed as I love my job....which allows me to enjoy my hobbies--of which this is one  Thumb up
  • Thank You 14
  • That Rocks 2

Some great stuff guys.  I am a TIG welder fabricator. I have done other welding jobs including MIG, stick sheet metal fabrication but have spent the last 20 years putting bronze statues together like this. 

P1010436_zps64bc6136.jpg 

P1010423_zps97b3799f.jpg 

This is about 20 feet tall and installed at the Denver museum of nature and science. It also has a stainless steel sub structure to support the bronze statue.  

here it is done

P1010482_zpseb499354.jpg 
  • Thank You 10
  • That Rocks 1

Worked as a farm hand through high-school. Went to a Vocational Technology high school and studied to be a machinist.  Had to take electronics and auto-shop along with STEM subjects for the "well-rounded" education.  Worked in a rural machine shop as a machinist for 2 years, everything from rebuilding engines and transmissions to fabrication welding..., then went to college and took a welding program, but ended up getting a degree in Geology and Geophysics- got out in 3 years.  Worked for a mining company for 2 years doing exploration for PbZn ore deposits. Environmentalism shut our project down, so I got married, and moved to Seattle (her parents thought she was crazy, I was unemployed.)  Lived in an apartment right across from some newfangled company called Microsoft - but only knew people that worked there. Got into PCs, and realized I could code. Moved to Silicon Valley, and developed world-class Computer Aided Design software, did that for 16 years. Got to travel all over the world meeting with customers and making design-automation solutions work for manufacturing, building & construction, and GIS industries. Ended up in executive roles, leading M&A, spent hundreds of millions of other people's money. Left California (I'm an idiot) and moved to IL (really proves that I'm an idiot!), Did several start-ups doing capture-based (laser scanning) 3D modeling technology, both macro and micro scale. Commuted from O'Hare back to Silicon Valley for 2 years, then to Research Triangle Park for 2 years doing 3D printing.  Got drawn into statistical modeling, and built technology that could predict where people/things were located or were going to be located in the probable future (invented the concept of position-and-movement-analytics). Didn't like what some were using that technology to do to others..., so I quit. Was recruited by a big-5 to get back into geoscience as part of a turn-around for the #3 O&G E&P technology company in Houston. Lived in two states for two years 'til the IPO died. Got nuts, and went back to school, got a top-25 ranked MBA which turned out to be worthless. Got into recruiting, and helping companies develop and deliver on labor strategies.  Call it Human Resources.  That's what I do now.  Tomorrow? Who knows.  ...can't make this story up.
  • Thank You 7

I currently work as a Systems Engineer for a company that specializes in doing the impossible - we do everything from Alarms Systems to Enterprise level Access Control and Automation, HVAC and IP camera systems and integrations. So basically I manage projects, consult for sales and of course, technical support for clients and fellows in the field.
  • Thank You 2

Fairly condensed… I owned a used stereo and record shop (in Vermont) from early 1970’s-1990. Sold out and opened a Seafood Restaurant in Maine. I closed when the building I was in was sold in 1994. I moved to Texas and went to Law School. (Midlife change of direction?) The law was fun as a theoretical exercise but practicing sucked so I closed up shop and opened another restaurant. After a few years I sold out as part of a divorce (She proceeded to take a very profitable business and run it into the ground so I never did get paid most of my share) I opened a small Record/CD store that I ran for a few years and then developed health issues so I retired and moved back to Vermont.

• Thank You 3

Man, after reading through this thread, I have the most boring (among other things) job in existence.

I would love to have any one of the other jobs mentioned in this thread. 
  • Thank You 1

Retired after almost 28 years as a firefighter/ paramedic for the same department. 

Still do some heli-rescue and helicopter crew training 
Edited by maytag
update
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Not a single prostitute or stripper....

Enjoying this thread!

Chops everyone's job is all part of a bigger job and then even a bigger job and so on.   What you may consider boring is vital to creating bigger things, and helping others create.
  • Thank You 1

Man, after reading through this thread, I have the most boring (among other things) job in existence.

I would love to have any one of the other jobs mentioned in this thread. 

The grass (not weed) always seems greener on the other side. Don't sweat it man. If you're able to provide the basics for your family (if any), then after that, it's all fluff.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna give up my "cool" job (and indeed, it is pretty neat) soon for the sole purpose of having more free time for me and mine. I'm not rich, so finances will have to be managed, but the job simply isn't the end all. 
  • Thank You 3

Not a single prostitute or stripper....
[...]

Sometimes feel like a "pimp."  Does that count?

tongue

Close enough!

I've been telling people I am janitorial staff, seems I'm cleaning up others mess  recently

• Thank You 1

After the department at the chemical plant closed where we made agent orange, I transferred over to the DDT department.. After that closed, took a job sweeping the floor at the asbestos factory..

After the department at the chemical plant closed where we made agent orange, I transferred over to the DDT department.. After that closed, took a job sweeping the floor at the asbestos factory..

Glad to see it didn't impact your cognitive functions!
  • Thank You 1

Glad to see it didn't impact your cognitive functions!
What dat cog nee toe.. We had no mask..
  • Thank You 1

Well, I started this thread so I should probably weigh in. 

Went to engineering school a zillion years ago. Worked as a millwright (industrial mechanic) on night shift to pay for it at a municipal water treatment plant. Managed to get 3 trade certifications in that time. 

Graduated and jobs were scarce. Commercial diver taking concrete core samples from docks and piers for a structural engineering firm.  Next worked for a company that built atmosphere generators - carbonizing gasses and annealing ovens for manufacturing and surface treatment of metal parts.

Next a few years for an electric motor manufacturer as maintenance supervisor. Then on to be a project manager for a machinery builder.

A couple more years building printing presses. 

Then started my own company designing & building production machinery for the automotive and food processing industries. Sold out to my partners and went to be VP for a company that built medical equipment.

Next went on to be VP engineering for an outfit that built plastics recovery and reprocessing machinery.
When that got stale, started another company to make equipment to produce gear to make carbon fiber/kevlar sporting goods, snowboards and skateboards in particular.

Then a short stint machining components for military vehicles. Then a short time running maintenance for a large poultry processor. Yuck.

10 years as plant engineer at a packaging company. That got ugly. Felt burnt out and went to work as a designer/field service tech for an electrical/automation company. That was not ideal, left them and went independent with the former employer being my main customer. Dark days.

Newest job, COO. for a biotech company.

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2