Rod H

What do you do for a living?

Just started a new gig as a district manager for Fanzz - it's a mall-based sports apparel chain. I have 12 stores in Utah and southern Idaho.

It's quite a change of pace for me (I used to manage stores for Lowe's and Cabela's), but I really feel like I make a difference here, and I haven't felt that way in quite some time.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Damn Mark, you take on all that and time for electronic mods. I feel fortunate  to get mine BillD past your real job. 

Congrats on the move and position  

I second that. Mark knocked out my BillD in no time. Didn't realize he was holding down a full time job as well.

A while back I enjoyed reading with interest the diverse occupations (past and present) of other CS members, prompting me to throw mine into the hat.

As mentioned in my recent post I am currently overseas as part of this occupation, drilling under a bay in Japan installing pipelines for a new gas fired power plant, pretty routine.

That being said, early next week I will visiting a much more interesting and challenging project that I thought some members may find interesting as well, a continuation of the “What do you do for a living” post.

I will be going to the island photo’d below to evaluate the feasibility of a new project which involves drilling two pipelines from the top plateau of a volcanic island, under the cliffs, terminating at a point about one mile offshore on the sea floor.  

Whereas I have completed over 25 of these shore landings (ocean bores), this one possesses some interesting challenges.  

Fortunately for me it does not involve electronics. At least on my part…lol  

All the best and i look forward to the continued read of others,

Will 

20170708214821795.jpg 
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Hey Dennis, the island pipelines will be used for fiber-optic, likely defense. Currently we're installing 24" gas pipe. 

Keeping the peace in a BIG slammer. Basically I'm a referee. "Stop fighting" "No you can't have that knife" "No you can't stick that in his neck" "No skipping! Your a grown man for crying out loud" "Please pull your pants up I don't want to see your butt". "No kissing!" Definitely a red flag on that last offense. I move them. Lol.

That kind of thing. It has it's humorous moments.

• Thank You 2

Dustmites Anyone?

I own a Rainbow Vacuum Distributoriship, been doing that for the past 10 years before that gave some time to uncle sam in the Army and had a gig at Walgreens doing the 1 hour photo lab.

• Thank You 1

Wdc, Looks like a cool job that takes you around the world. Best of luck to a successful and satisfying project.

PhilDent

• Thank You 1

Rxonmymind, I'm guessing you're a prison guard? If not, I'd love to know what your occupation might be.

Ctseven "had a gig at Walgreens doing the 1 hour photo lab." You're bringing back memories of pre digital days, when you actually had to develop film. In fact, I think I have a few rolls of exposed film in a drawer that I have no idea what's on them.

• Thank You 1

Teacher, aka Corporate Facilitator.  I work for a market-leading outsourcing company that provides managed training services, curriculum design, etc. all over the world but I mainly stay busy with large US Banks here in the states. I teach classes in Mortgage and Credit Card industry, and also do curriculum design, assist with setting up call centers, blah blah....lol.

Dream Job:
Roadie for the Stones 
  • Thank You 2

I work for a company that provides services to people with Developmental Disabilities. I supervise our Employment Campus, residential settings and transportation. We provide service in 5 counties in Ohio and are currently expanding our base. My daughter Vosh and I own Weebee Transit, our shuttle bus company focusing on un-conventional transportation solutions. I do some motorcycle repair and tuning when time permits that pays the freight for my audio and motorcycle fixations.

ray 
  • Thank You 2

Rxonmymind, I'm guessing you're a prison guard? If not, I'd love to know what your occupation might be.

Yes. Pretty much a referee trying to help these guys with anger management issues and communication. Keeping the vibes positive and being fair and consistent goes a long way with these guys. So far so good!

I just retired from my company and will lay out a year or two then go back to work for a few years until 62.  Working on my house and soon hopefully on my Carver gear that needs refreshed.......grin

John

John, good luck working on your house. Speaking from experience that can become a huge money pit.

It is still new enough that we are finishing moving in and fixing the minor things that need repaired. Hasn't been too expensive yet.......grin 

Unfortunately for me and my massive remodel, the money ran out before we got to the electronics. At least I've been able to piece together a nice Carver HiFi.

• Thank You 1

Here is a surprise:

Chiropractor: 34 years
Chiropractic Consultant: 20 years

Quite a run in the industry!  Have you heard of/know of Arno Burnier?

I'm a structural engineer in SW Colorado.  We do a little bit of everything......residential, commercial, institutional, bridges, remodels, repairs, etc.  Some of the most interesting stuff we've done are the multi-million dollar custom homes for the big-wigs that like to have fancy vacation homes in the mountains.  Jon Pomeroy is a good friend of the family and used to be my parents' neighbor.......we've done about 90% of his projects (located in the SW).  You can see pictures of his projects HERE

Pretty vanilla compared to what a lot of you other guys have on your resume happy0009.gif
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

I'm a structural engineer in SW Colorado.  We do a little bit of everything......residential, commercial, institutional, bridges, remodels, repairs, etc... 

A very impressive portfolio and body of work 00cbirdw. Applause

And may I stress, there are no “vanilla” and/or unimportant jobs here. Occupations are like cogs on a gear, without one, the others fail. It takes a lot of interacting cogs to make a gear turn, making all of us a part of a bigger picture.

• Thank You 1

Wdc, Looks like a cool job that takes you around the world. Best of luck to a successful and satisfying project.PhilDent

Thanks Phildent, it’s been an interesting career but one I’m trying to wind down. After forty plus years of contracting to install these pipelines, I now provide technical support to a select number of companies.

That being said I just wrapped up three grueling days island hopping, inspecting a number of potential pipeline landing locations while assessing risk and feasibility for my client.

It can look exotic from afar, but in reality it’s just another day at the salt mine. I would rather be home with my wife, dog and trying to figure out where I went wrong with that Carver M1.5t repair and how to get back up and going. Now that’s a challenge for me, and child’s play for others here in CS. Hence my comments to 00cbirdw, were we are all cogs on a gear with different skill sets. Mine is not electronics but the CS group has proven to be very helpful.

20170713163339198.jpg 20170713163846541.jpg
20170713173821848.jpg

All the best
  • Thank You 1