• Announcements

• Nahash5150

Engine Upgrade   04/19/18

The website will be receiving a security and feature patch. Downtime expected tonight after 10pm.
Rockster2U

United Sensitivities ?

I'm not trying to stir things up but am wondering if we are getting a little overly sensitive as evidenced in the closing of LT's thread re:the United Airlines overbooking fiasco. Maybe I've become an anachronism in today's "Politically Correct" environment but admittedly, I am having some real trouble with this one.

Despite my disdain for the modern mantra of "Safe Spaces", I will respect the moderator's opinion.

• Thank You 7

For those of us who travel via air frequently it was an interesting, if not disturbing, thread / conversation.

Closed because of "politics" ?? In that thread ?? 

I guess I have fallen out of touch with yet another group of people.... 
  • Thank You 2

Thanks, Rockster. As B-Man says, frequent air travelers need to be aware of rules and their possible implications. United Airlines will pay for their faux-pas, but fellow passengers could have suggested alternatives and avoided this mess.

The stigma of the employer's name will be borne by all employees of United. 

Flying out of Dulles, I missed my flight (on United to Atlanta), because I was helping a lady whose husband was sick. They were also flying United, going to NY. I gave them my business card, the lady wrote a very nice letter to my then-employer. I went back to the United desk, and knowing what was going on with the older couple, the United gate agent helped me out and got me home, albeit at 230am. 

There may be no way to compensate the passenger in this specific incident, for the loss of dignity, but some financial arrangement can act as an emollient and alleviate the grief a bit.  

For those of us who travel via air frequently it was an interesting, if not disturbing, thread / conversation.

Closed because of "politics" ?? In that thread ?? 

I guess I have fallen out of touch with yet another group of people.... 
I felt the same way recently Brian, feeling like I wasn't fitting in like I once did, and had become worthy of censorship.

Some of my best friends on this site have politics that are totally different than what I believe, and we talk about it sometimes privately.. We are grown men and enjoy each others view and the chance to interact, and consider other views, different from our own.. This is the only social medial site I have visited ever.. I have enjoyed it very much..

In the "What do you do for a living" post, it was interesting to hear the wide variety of ways people make a living.. We are all real people living in a real world facing the same issues..

Its completely understandable to keep the politics out, especially with people like myself that will let his views fly with little though for politics.. Not because I wish to offend others.. I'm ignorant, and assume that no one is anymore offended by my remarks, than I am offended by theirs.. 

Management, please be careful not to overreact and make real people and current events not allowed.. The social part of Carversite is also enjoyable and would be a great loss to the site if people are not comfortable to a degree..

I have learned a lot from B-man and his post over the years.. He is a good man and should not feel like he is out of touch with his friends here.. Brian you have a lot of friends here and people that respect you, that is not subject to change. 

• Thank You 6

Member Z hasn't joined yet, but whatever I do I always try to consider member Z
look at this chart:

community_membership_lifecycle.jpg

In MY mind (and I'm a habitual sorter) there's no judgement there; one status isn't superior to the next (well, maybe the 'VETERAN' one)

In MY mind, the chart represents ONE experts opinion (hindcliffe) on what happens within a community

In MY  mind, it all boils down to orientation, familiarity and comfort

A new registrant is GIVEN orientation (this place has quirks, peculiarities, flaws; it's different)

A novice BECOMES familiar (according to the chart, the ACTIVITY he uses to become familiar is called ENGAGEMENT)

An insider SEEKS comfort (he's orientated and familiar, now he SEEKS to enjoy)

whether I'm right or wrong doesn't matter, what matters (to me) is member Z

Member Z has his OWN radio; I try to provide different STATIONS for HIM to tune into

On each station, I try to provide as much SIGNAL with as little NOISE as possible

If member Z tunes HIS radio to a station labelled Rock, he EXPECTS rock (that's the signal)
Opera and Country are noise on channel ROCK

If member Z tunes HIS radio to a station labelled 'CARVERfest' he EXPECTS signal
What is it, who goes there, how can I be involved?; THAT's the signal

finger pointing an accusation and condemnation is NOISE

If member Z tunes HIS radio to a station labelled 'FIGHT CLUB' or 'RANDOM DECOMPRESSIONS' he EXPECTS bickering and accusation and condemnation

NOW, those SAME words are the SIGNAL

Likewise, if member Z tunes to a station that is trying to express a subtle nuance between two different concepts, he's not EXPECTING 'whatever dude, I know what I know"

It's all a matter of what's APPROPRIATE to each STATION

It's NOT a matter of 'my voice is more important than yours'

It's ALL important, but some of it can be expressed on a more appropriate station

Give member Z a chance 
  • Thank You 6

I personally have no problem if you guys want to discuss this.  Have at it.  I have some personal opinions myself that i would like to express.  

• Thank You 1

From a major airline (not United) pilot's perspective, it was handled incredibly poorly.

I don't think it should be legal for Airlines to overbook.  When you buy a seat for a movie, sporting event, or a theater show, they are not allowed to oversell.  Why should it be any different for airlines.  The big 12 bumped 40,600 of 659.7M passengers in 2016.

United could have upped the monetary incentives (only $650-800 was offered) until someone finally volunteered.  Everyone has a price.  It certainly cheaper than the lawsuit payout that will most likely be in the millions.  However, since this was actually Republic Airways (a subsidiary of United), they may be capped on their offer.

OR

Take the crew off, call out reserves, reschedule the down-line flight due to late crew arrival, etc.

This was not an unruly passenger.  If he (or she) were unruly, this would be a totally different situation--and even then, there are protocols in place that would keep the situation contained....which in this instance, was not.  This gentleman should have never been humiliated like that.

(just my 2 cents based upon 28 years of flying)

On a lighter note: Big Grin

20170411074536847.png 

• Thank You 2

I don't think it should be legal for Airlines to overbook.  When you buy a seat for a movie or a theater show, they are not allowed to oversell.  Why should it be any different for airlines.

Overbooking would be known before the plane started boarding. This should have been discussed prior to anyone stepping inside the plane.  I understand overbooking is used to offset missed connections, no-shows, etc.. It is understandable that an expensive resource like a plane should be used as efficiently as possible.

Take the crew off, call out reserves, reschedule the down-line flight due to late crew arrival, etc. 

Absolutely.  A 5+ hour Limo ride for the crew was an option to further explore, or offer it to the passengers, as another alternative.

"Overbooking would be known before the plane started boarding. This should have been discussed prior to anyone stepping inside the plane."

There are situations when last minute crew rerouting will occur.  Pilot scheduling will call the gate agent and mention the change.  Crews are notified and taken off their "scheduled" trip to accommodate the change. --Rerouted crew shows up to the gate which has completely boarded (bc gate agent was notified after boarding complete & she is told to hold the flight for rerouted crew).  This may have occurred on United flight 3411 to position them for a last minute change.  Still not an excuse for how this was handled.

"A 5+ hour Limo ride for the crew was an option to further explore"

Current FAA duty day limits as well as contractual obligations will not allow this option. 

offer it to the passengers, as another alternative."

certainly an option L_t 
  • Thank You 1

As if getting broke off the flight wasn't bad enough, this doctor's Newfound Fame has brought to light parts of his past that I'm sure he would rather not be known.

nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/amp/

As if getting broke off the flight wasn't bad enough, this doctor's Newfound Fame has brought to light parts of his past that I'm sure he would rather not be known.

nypost.com/2017/04/11/doctor-dragged-off-flight-convicted-of-trading-drugs-for-sex/amp/

"let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" JC

there, now I got the religion part started....:--- :--- :--D

yeah, I'm a smart as s.... LOL

• Thank You 2

We are so lucky that no matter what happens, no matter how obscure, no matter how remote, there will always be at least one asshole standing there video recording it with his/her phone.  

And now its all this. 
  • Thank You 1

"let he who has not sinned cast the first stone" JC

there, now I got the religion part started....Whistle Whistle Big Grin

yeah, I'm a smart as s.... LOL

No stone casting here, just noting that once you are in the public eye, everything in your past gets dragged out of the closet.

Every time I'm searching flights and United is an option, I remember that 
 and nope out.

Oh yes. This happened to one of my favorite clients.

We are so lucky that no matter what happens, no matter how obscure, no matter how remote, there will always be at least one asshole standing there video recording it with his/her phone.  

And now its all this. 

Thats because honesty has become a scarce commodity in our society and because of fake media, if it's not documented and preserved on video it didn't happen.

Which is exactly why I don't like posts responding to the increasingly prevalent "news" reports that are all about first to react and never mind checking any facts. Those reports are only interested in generating clicks, not conveying the truth in any story.

That is the realm once relegated to the likes of the National Enquirer.

• Thank You 2

It is interesting to consider the changes and accountability that has came with cell phone tech.. Not so many years ago, we would have likely never heard of this incident, unless you were there.

Many times the people that seek jobs with authority are the worst type for the job.. Those types tend to make news that reflects badly, unfairly, on the true professionals that deserve respect..

Consider the caught on tape issues of recent years.. These things still happen today when they know people are likely  filming..

How was the conduct back in the day before this tech, at a time when the cameras were not watching?? 

• Thank You 1