• Announcements

• Nahash5150

Engine Upgrade   04/19/18

The website will be receiving a security and feature patch. But I didn't get to it yesterday, so stay tuned for reschedule.  
Sign in to follow this  
loner_t

Flying Cars

As long as a 'flying car' requires a pilot's license and costs much more than the average upper middle class family can afford, then it's not really a 'car' at all (and is not going anywhere nor have any significant impact on personal transportation)....just another airplane (that maybe the pilot can drive to the airport...big deal!).

A true 'flying car' must have vertical takeoff, must be 'driver-less', must cost at most the same as a luxury auto, and must be storeable  in your garage and able to takeoff from your driveway. The Moller Skycar(s) embrace a lot of these characteristics, but alas, have never 'taken off'. With mass production they could in time meet the price point, and driver-less and computer controlled corridors in the sky are relatively easy and driver-less flying cars will be much easier to realize than driver-less cars (which are well on the way to reality right now..), so that's not an issue...
  • Thank You 1

I am happy that I am old enough that by the time something like these is feasible and selling, I will be long dead and gone. I shudder to think of the idiots I see daily NOT properly operating an automobile trying to operate any type of aircraft.

I am happy that I am old enough that by the time something like these is feasible and selling, I will be long dead and gone. I shudder to think of the idiots I see daily NOT properly operating an automobile trying to operate any type of aircraft.
. Road rage and drive by shootings are good enough.... Sky rage and fly by shootings involving plane crashes falling on the innocent can wait till I'm gone..

AR9 wrote "Road rage and drive by shootings are good enough.... Sky rage and fly by shootings involving plane crashes falling on the innocent can wait till I'm gone..

That's why they will be 'self driving' and why you will just punch in your destination and everything totally automated including the corridor that you fly in to your destination to assure no mid air collisions with other commuters or planes/copters. And no opening "windows" during the flight to drop anything on those below or taking pot shots at others.. Can not be any other way as the liabilities would be way too big to allow the average road rage inclined idiot to have that much fire power and expect him to 'stay in his proper lane' when faced with unlimited and unmarked roads (now in 3D). But with GPS and sensors in all such automated flying cars, computers can easily keep everything sorted out and safe (even fail safe..).

• Thank You 1

The Computer/GPS controlled model is also applicable to cars-with-wheels. Is it Robert Heinlein who proposed intelligent roads? 

The security issues with flying objects is a much tougher problem to solve. Geo-Fencing is a possible solution. 

There is a store-and-drive (or -fly) model, or a real-time wireless connectivity model, which needs to be worked out, for all such objects.

Elon Musk's Hyperloop is a different direction, to solve the same problem.  

Fun times.  
  • Thank You 3