Best anti-static record sleeves? (MoFi vs Diskeeper vs others)

stevenlevel

What are the best record sleeves to use? Music Fidelity sleeves or just any non paper sleeves like those from Diskeeper that are quite a bit cheaper?

I suppose that $25 for 50 high quality sleeves is not that expensive but the Diskeeper sleeves are $15 for 50 sleeves and are see through.

I still don't get why some new records come with great internal sleeves and some come with the standard paper sleeves that I hate? I need to invest in new inner sleeves and the external sleeves that protect the albums artwork.

Example: "The Wall" came with very thick internal sleeves and "Moving Pictures" at 200 gram weight also came with a inner sleeve that has the lyrics on it but not a good sleeve for anti-static.

I've tried Diskeeper, MoFi, Nagota and lots of other brands with virtually identical results.
My last purchase (about 5 years ago) was 500 Japanese rice paper sleeves for $99 shipped.
Yes, I'm a cheap b@st@rd! emsmilep.gif 
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
Why are paper sleeves bad?  What am I missing?  To date, I've avoided the extra expense... always thought they were snake-oil.

I trust you guys - educate me. 

I rather like the rice-paper ones.

They are garbage. The plastic ones are garbage as well. Everyone knows that you should only use record sleeves made from sun-bleached alpaca skin. They usually stock them right next to MIT cables!

• Thank You 2

The standard paper sleeves are not bad but the rice paper lined Mobile Fidelity 50 pack for $25 are considered the best to use. They keep paper fibers from getting on the vinyl(Takes many years for this to occur) but the main reason is that they limit static.

I have some new LP's with the standard paper sleeves, but most of my new vinyl arrives with poly based see thru sleeves that limit static buildup and seem easier to use as far as slipping the record in and out of the sleeve.

I was having huge static issues with my vinyl and my Shure M97xE MM cartridge. It was picking up lots of tiny pops from static and nothing seemed to work to get rid of it.

When I switched to the Denon DL-103 MC cartridge it limited static in a big way and also limited how loud some pops actually were during playback. I also discovered that some of my new LP's had some type of gunk(Probably silicon left over from the pressing) that needed to be deep cleaned off the vinyl. I use 99% alcohol and it works well at cleaning off gunk that your stylus will pick up causing small pops. I have also read lots of forums and online reviews that state "Using Isopropyl alcohol" "WILL NOT DAMAGE VINYL IN ANY WAY"

Paper sleeves are not going to damage your vinyl but they do have static buildup issues that I have witnessed first hand. It's basically "To Each Their Own"

I rather like the rice-paper ones. 

They are garbage. The plastic ones are garbage as well. Everyone knows that you should only use record sleeves made from sun-bleached alpaca skin. They usually stock them right next to MIT cables!

What about Unubtainium sleeves? Being friends with Mr. Stark has some advantages Yikes

I use 99% alcohol and it works well at cleaning off gunk that your stylus will pick up causing small pops. 

Is the percentage (99) correct? Static buildup can be due to other reasons as well - friction, typically. 

Yeah I bought some almost pure alcohol at a Chemical Supply Company after reading the thread on cleaning vinyl.

Do you mean the friction from the stylus riding the grove of a record?

If that's what you mean I had the cartridge set up to track as light as possible. The Shure M97xE was set at 1 to 1.25 Grams and I weighed it with a new digital scale.

All I know is the Denon DL-103 tracking at 2 Grams gives me the best sound I have ever heard with all my vinyl.

I had a few new records that I sort of gave up on due to static and pop issues and when I gave them a good deep cleaning, let them dry properly and played them back with my DL-103 they sounded like the new vinyl records I bought

Do you mean the friction from the stylus riding the grove of a record?

This cannot be avoided, but the sleeve in which the record is stored. It would be better to 'move' the static charge from the vinyl to an outer sleeve, made of a suitable material.  Paper or plastic have challenges with such movement. 

Why not put the the vinyl in an aluminum foil and remove static off the vinyl surface?

Or discharge before it is played, avoiding the whole 'sleeve' debate? 

• Community Admin
For me, I could be inviting more risk, I don't know. But, I'm cheap.

My rationale:I try to comprehend the static charge introduced by walking across the carpet to get a record off the shelf and touching the record.  Add the static introduced by the dryness of the air, and the wool sweater I have on as I move my arms, and any number of factors that can introduce a charge on the LP.  How much does the sleeve impact that?  How is the sleeve impacting the charge on the vinyl, sitting on the shelf, in the jacket - when all these other factors exist?   I don't know, but I just don't see a sleeve zeroing out all the static charge that is introduced in the process.

I use these from Sleeve City.  Link HERE.   They are 22 cents a peice (10.95 for 50).  I like the round corners for getting in and out of the jacket.  They seem to be the closest (and reasonably priced) to the original.  

And, like Z, I typically spend between $2 and $5 an LP.  When I go to an LP event on a weekend, I pick up a few that invariably need to have their inner sleeve replaced - and these are close to the original.

20170507064432402.jpg 

I use a Zerostat gun all the time. I also have a antistatic mat that I use on the platter. I can't tell if it works or not but I do know the Zerostat works very well.

+1 

Lol static is a problem in the photographic darkroom as well! I used to used staticmaster brushes on my negatives! It had a polonium 210 cartridge to zap the charge! I am not saying it's suitable for audio as I think it's probably not safe! I miss old school photography! It's A lot different now!

Zero stat gun works well! I have also used dryer sheets under the mat, not sure if it helps a lot, it can't hurt though!

BarryG

I have always found the Musuc Fidelity sleeves to be excellent.

+1

Mofo... Urr, I mean... Mofi is my choice of sleeves as well. 

• Community Admin
Got this in my email today.

Sale Code at Sleeve City - good through May 12th.  They have more than just my cheap "paper" sleeves.

Promo Code is "MAYDAY2017"   Link HERE

20170508191144251.jpg