Let my Carver journey begin!

Hello Carver fans,

I'm glad I found you.  My Carver journey has just begun and this site has such a wealth of information.  I bought a Carver A400x Power Amplifier after waiting almost a year for one to come available in my price range.  I've been so blown away by it's performance that I just bid on and won a C-1.  I have started down the bunny hole.  Now, I have to decide if I'm going to leave it stock or perform one of the many mods.  I'm overwhelmed by the choices.  I'm leaning to some form of the BillD mod. I can't wait for it to arrive.

Glad to be part of the community of Carver fans
Phil Dent 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to CS, PhilDent! (Any relationship to Phil Dent, the Tennis player emwink.gif). 

A BillD C1 is the ultimate. To color-match, a C11 would go with the 400x as well.  

Anyone doing BillD mods in the Southern California area?

The C1 is fairly light and relatively cheap to ship. If you can find one of the techs from this site that has time and is willing to take on the billD mod, shipping all the way across the country would still be worth it.

• Thank You 1

You are in the right place, Phil, for your audio journey. I lucked-out years ago in finding this site, finding kind, generous, knowledgable members; making on-line friends later to become in-person friends. And then there is OCCD...it is inevitable. That's the story behind my own (not unique to me) C-1/BillD & M1.0t mk II. Looking forward to your updates & future posts.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Sorry Loner_T I didn't answer your question. No relation to Phil Dent the tennis teacher. In fact, that was the first time I had heard of him. "Phil Dent" is a nom de plume for me that, until your post, I thought I had cleverly made up. Oh well. Guess I'm unoriginal. I guess I can call myself "another Phil Dent"

• Thank You 1

Trav0810, Thanks for the advice. I think I could handle the mod myself, but it would be nice to have it done by someone with experience, if it isn't too expensive. I'm sure you know about the Wife Acceptance Factor about spending money on hi-fi gear.

-Phil Dent

Howdy PhilDent and welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board.

Please tell us more about yourself and your audio journey and post some photos so we don't have to beg you. emwink.gif

Greets from Iowa.

I can't help it, when I hear last name of Dent, I think of Arthur Dent. Do you know where your towel is? 

Welcome to CS, post often and randomly.

For sure, get that C-1 BD'd. 
  • Thank You 1

Thanks Dingman, I was a huge Douglas Adams fan, so yes, the name is derivative for sure. Thanks for the advice on the C1. I've been reading many of your posts about the process and want to become thoroughly familiar with it before I dive in. Or I might take the easy path and just let an experienced pro do it for me.

Zumbini, I will post more info about myself and my audio journey and figure out how to post pictures. I see how much you like them. Should I post that here or in another forum?

-Phil Dent

• Thank You 1

Zumbini, I will post more info about myself and my audio journey and figure out how to post pictures. I see how much you like them. Should I post that here or in another forum?

-Phil Dent

I'd say post details of all your equip and journey here, and let God sort it out! LOL.

Actually, I bet alot of us have tales of our audio journey(s) that are quite long... Crap, I've forgotten most of mine. 

• Community Admin
Super Welcome, PhilDent.  

Thinking of "Dent" I jump to Richard Dent, the Chicago Bears Hall of Famer... and 1985 Superbowl MVP...

This is the place, and PhilDent is a suitable nom de plume double entendre is that many "restored" carver units need a few dents-fill-ed (or gently pounded out).

Looking forward to your photo-story of Carver.

There is a good tech on this site that is NorCal (East Bay).  He might pop up.  He did my C-1 BillD mod.  Super guy, too - like all the techs here are.  his nom de plume is "wrf"  I don't know what his workload is, but just thinking out loud since you asked the question.   
  • Thank You 1

This thread is appropriate for introductions and a photo or 3, or start a new thread in the Member's Systems forum.

To embed photos in a post open the Insert Image applet from within the Post a reply box.
The image editor allows you to link to public photos, or upload your own files as large as 14 MB.
20141030074404420.jpg 

From there you can insert a public link or browse to a file on your hard drive.
20141030074556509.jpg 

Once the file has uploaded click OK, then click INSERT.
20141030074939422.jpg 

If you plan to post a lot of photos we suggest you upload them to a public file host and post links to them. 

Phil, welcome to the madness! You're gonna love it here. These guys quickly become family! 

And... The only "Dent" I can think of is the one from Gotham City...

1551556566-tws.jpg 

Guess I'm unoriginal. I guess I can call myself "another Phil Dent"

Dent reminds me, first and foremost, of Arthur Dent from Douglas Adams's HitchHiker's Guide.  

Welcome to the site PD, glad you decided to join in on all the fun.
Please tell us about the rest of the system you are putting together, source/ speaks/cd/ and or turntable.
Also what types of music do you enjoy listening to?
Bands/Artists etc.
Enjoy the site.
Blues Pwr..... 

I'm running an SMSL DAC to for my hi rez files.  I'm using the Yamaha DSP-A3090 (until my C-1 shows up) The Carver A-400x is handling the ampflication.
20170508232048848.jpg 

20170508231611286.jpg
This is my speaker setup.  Elac Uni-Fi B5s.  They are on custom stands that I built to the exact dimensions of the speaker.  The stands are filled with 80lbs of sand.
  • Thank You 4

A brief recount of my audio journey. After many years of focusing on the other aspects of life: job/family/remodeling a house etc. I took a look at the Yamaha receiver, CD player, and a Bose 2.1 speaker system that a bought in the early 90's for an astronomical amount of money for a poor college student like I was at the time. I decided, on a whim, to upgrade. I bought the Yamaha DSP-A3090 off ebay for a song. I was blown away by how good it sounded compared to my old receiver. Thus the journey to improve (on a budget) began. I bought the SMSL DAC as part of my quest to experience great sound. I bought some Elac Uni Fi B5's. Wow! how that was an eye opener to hear a full range speaker compared to the Bose speakers that I had been sold on as college student. Even though I thought the Yamaha at 80WPC were adequate to drive the power hungry Elac's, I thought I should try to improve. I decided on the Carver A-400x. I eventually scored one on Ebay and I turned the Yamaha into a preamp and I was impressed with the Carver. So I started researching preamps and decided on the C1. I won one on Ebay and am waiting for its arrival. I can't wait to hear it. Now my decision is whether to try and do the BillD mod myself or send it out to a seasoned tech. As for the music I listen to: since I started this upgrade journey I got hooked on Steely Dan and quickly bought their entire catalog and thoroughly tortured my wife by playing it incessantly. I also like Garbage, Fleetwood Mac, Cat Stevens, James Taylor. Currently I'm thoroughly enjoying Kaleo A_B and Hozier that I downloaded from HDTracks.

It feels great to be welcomed by all of you.

• Thank You 2