Proper way to playback a mono vinyl record with a C-1 preamp?

stevenlevel

Hi everyone. I just received my new vinyl version of Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" from England. I didn't realize it was a mono recording when I bought it.

When I play it back should I set the C-1 in mono mode using it's mono/stereo button or do I simply leave it in stereo mode for the mono playback?

Common sense dictates that I should place the preamp in mono mode but I'm not sure since this is my first mono recording in 180 gram weight blue colored vinyl. 

Also is this record available in both stereo and mono or just mono?d'oh!

Thanks everyone. 

The mono switch sums the channels together, so if your source is playing music on only one channel, then you hit the mono button to hear the music on both speakers. If music is playing on both speakers and the source is 'mono', then the 'bridge' is already performed by the source and you don't need to use the mono switch.

Make sense? 
  • Thank You 2

Hi everyone. I just received my new vinyl version of Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" from England. I didn't realize it was a mono recording when I bought it. When I play it back should I set the C-1 in mono mode using it's mono/stereo button or do I simply leave it in stereo mode for the mono playback?
I don't switch to mono when I play mine but it will work either way and should sound the same. Try it and see for yourself.

....is this record available in both stereo and mono or just mono?
Yes, the original pressings were available in mono and stereo. I have both and like the mono version best. 

• Thank You 2

While it's true that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" seems to me you were being overly cautious.
For me (and I suspect for many of our members) a great deal of the fun of this "hobby" is experimenting.
  • Thank You 1

Being a modern mono pressing there shouldn't be compatibility issues but you should be aware if you start collecting older original pressings that the RIAA equalization curve has changed many times and even was different from one manufacturer to another prior to the mid 1950's. You may end up needing an adjustable phono pre-amp to achieve optimal compatibility.

While it's true that "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" seems to me you were being overly cautious.
For me (and I suspect for many of our members) a great deal of the fun of this "hobby" is experimenting.

Your correct as usual. I was board and thought I would read the site for a while and figured I could ask about the stereo vs mono versions being available. The mono question about what to set my preamp at could have easily been tried on my own.

Sorry feel free to delete this thread as it's not really important to anyone in my opinion as well. 

Being a modern mono pressing there shouldn't be compatibility issues but you should be aware if you start collecting older original pressings that the RIAA equalization curve has changed many times and even was different from one manufacturer to another prior to the mid 1950's. You may end up needing an adjustable phono pre-amp to achieve optimal compatibility.

So I can't just use the mono button on my C-1 preamp to get these older records to play correctly?

If not I highly doubt I'll be buying any vinyl that is that old that has not been re-mastered like the version I of Kind Of Blue" I like Jazz and some classical but mainly classic rock. 

I just bought a Direct to Disk vinyl record of Vidal "The Four Seasons" that should be delivered by Friday.

I think it's odd that a record ordered from England arrived 7 days before the record I ordered from Sound Stage Direct.

Equalization (of one sort or another) has been applied to vinyl since as early as the 1920's, however, it wasn't "standardized" until the mid to late 50's. It applies to mono AND stereo recordings.

If I was so inclined to collect some used old records which I'm really not going to do as the older the record, even used the more people charge for them. I have seen some unreal prices for records on Ebay.

So how would someone go about getting a phono stage that has that EQ knob option to change the settings?

For the love of vinyl I just want to know since I have never seen a preamp with any type of knob to control the output of a vinyl record. 

I was even looking for a old Gramaphone type of turntable and horn type speaker but the real one's cost a lot even when it's not working and for parts.

....So how would someone go about getting a phono stage that has that EQ knob option to change the settings?....

A unit like this will do the trick: 

O.K.so this is mainly used for 78's correct? All the records I'm buying are new enough to never need one of these components correct?

Also what does a unit like this cost?

Thanks 

....so this is mainly used for 78's correct?....
Come on Steve. Try reading the entire description. It works equally well with 33's, 45's and 78's.

As for cost, the current exchange rate makes it about $2,500. It's used by radio stations, studios, and the Library of Congress.