kve777

Pay attention to the signs of suicide.

I found out my brother's son, Luke, shot himself in the head at a gun range in Florida yesterday. His father, my only brother, did the same thing a few years ago in Alabama. Both had been depressed and gave signs of a problem days before. If you know anyone who might be susceptible, please get them help, even if you need to call 911. I wasn't in contact with either of them, but it still hurts to lose them this way, especially Luke, only 19. Sorry if I bum anyone out, but if it saves one life, it will be worth it.

MAN SHOOTS SELF AT PINELLAS PARK GUN RANGE

Pinellas Park Police | Police Car | Crime

The injury was self-inflicted, according to Pinellas Park police.

PINELLAS PARK – A man was taken to the hospital Wednesday (May 17) with life-threatening injuries after he shot himself while at a gun range, according to the Pinellas Park Police Department.

Luke Prendergast, 19, died at a local hospital of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police said Mr. Prendergast was homeless and had made suicidal statements the previous day over his current living conditions.

Police were called to the Shoot Straight Gun Range, 4594 Ulmerton Road, about 8:10 p.m. Police said Mr. Prendergast had met another man on Treasure Island beach earlier in the day. The two of them spent the earlier part of the day together targeting shooting at a gun range in St. Petersburg.

About 8 p.m.n they arrived at Shoot Straight to do some more target shooting. A video from Shoot Straight shows Mr. Prendergast fire a couple of rounds at targets and then turn the gun on himself, while the other man was shooting at targets down range.

For information about the Pinellas Park police, go to pinellas-park.com.

Pinellas Park | Shooting | Shoot Straight Gun Range | Tampa Bay News | TB Reporter

• Thank You 7
  • Sad 1

I am so sorry to hear this news!

We lost a dear friend to suicide and the remaining twelve of us came to an understanding. There is NOTHING that we can't talk about to each other. We have been friends for almost 50 years.

Prayers to your family.

• Thank You 1

Kevin.. condolences on your loss. Sad and tragic loss of a young life.

One my closest pals in college committed suicide on the last day of college. It took me 30 years to gather courage to step foot back in the campus (and I cried as I walked the campus). 

• Thank You 1

So sorry to hear that, Kevin. It's so hard to imagine how someone so young can convince themselves that suicide is the best choice... it really underscores the importance of doing everything we can, to possibly be "that one person" that someone feels they can talk to.

• Thank You 1

My sincere condolences Kevin. So sad to lose someone close to you when it's so preventable.

Two of my best friends were suicidal in their younger days and my brothers and I spent many hours talking with them.
They are both still around so apparently our efforts were successful.
  • Thank You 2

are[ ahr; unstressed er] 
verb
present indicative plural and 2nd person singular of be.
Sorry to hear of your family's tragic loss.  Depression sucks, and needs more attention. Thank you for posting.

I know personally the pain of losing a brother.  I can't imagine  your experience and know it must be even more challenging under the circumstances.

Prayers are aimed in your family's direction. 
  • Thank You 1

Thank you Kevin. Not an easy thing for you to talk about or bring up I'm sure. Thanks for shining a light on this hideous disease..

This disease runs heavy in my family as well. Left untreated the burden can be more than one can carry, like in the case of your nephew.

Thats real pain that causes this. In many ways no different than physical pain that can cause people to react the same way seeking relief.

Sorry for your loss to you and your family Kevin. Chances are that he was actually a very intelligent young man.. 
  • Thank You 1

I'm so sorry to hear this. I, like some of the others here, cannot imagine what a person must be going through to think that ending their life is their only option it's even more heartbreaking when it happens to someone this young.

• Thank You 1

Very hard news for anyone to hear, Kev. 

College age and middle age seem to me (no stats or studies I can site..) to be two potentially difficult times in people's lives when things can seem very bleak (sometimes for totally irrational yet real - depression fueled - reasons). 

When my youngest daughter tried this a number of years ago, other than just try an assure her that I 'had her back', I tried to give her reasons why she 'had a future' and that many folks cared deeply about her and would need her one day... Let her know that perhaps one of those folks would be her Dad and that one day "all this will one day be yours", etc. (just to give her some picture of a brighter future, etc.). Other than that, I have/had nothing to try and "cure" her or anyone else re these deeply complex issues...But thankfully, she seems to be over this hump (college age) and is now much better...

Prayers and condolences sent to you and your family for your loss. - Ed 
  • Thank You 1

Sorry to hear about this Kevin, deepest sympathy.

My brother committed suicide.
It was the hardest thing my family ever went through.
My parents aged a decade over night, he was only 20.

35 years ago......still hurts, I feel your pain. 
  • Thank You 1

Sorry to hear about this Kevin, deepest sympathy.

My brother committed suicide.
It was the hardest thing my family ever went through.
My parents aged a decade over night, he was only 20.

35 years ago......still hurts, I feel your pain. 

Buried my brother less than a year after my father. Tough on the whole family.

My prayers are with your family Kevin. I nearly lost my bi-polar daughter about 25 years ago! It is tough to go through! I am thankful she is getting help!

BarryG

• Thank You 1