Nahash5150

Please welcome B-man as Administrator

B-man has bravely accepted the position of Administrator. Brian is a long standing member, and although he doesn't gab much on the forum, he is a very strong supporter of the community. He is fair, honest, and a truly wise and intelligent person.

I look forward to all the good he will bring the community - so please join me on congratulating him.

Thank you Brian! It means a lot to all of us.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Congrats and Thanks Brian, for stepping up to the Admin. position (probably the most thankless job on any forum)
I think you'll be a natural fit, good luck.

Blues Pwr/Curtis 

PS: There's a new Sheriff in town boys  emwink.gif  
  • Thank You 1

Hey everyone - thanks for the congrats !!

This place is quite special to me. I am a member of a few other forums. They too have members that interact often, schedule events together, etc. - just like here. However, I have noticed that this place has a twist I don't see nearly as often on the other sites. That twist is the ready acceptance of new members into "the click".

We all have experienced it - you're new to the site, you see all the banter between members, often addressing each other by name, referencing get togethers, events, etc. You probably posted a question and almost certainly received a response that went something like this: "Hi. You should try using the SEARCH button. That question has been asked and answered 1000's of times !! Why are you asking that without searching first ? I am one of the superior beings here - I logged on for the 1st time when we still used Hayes-compatible modems !!! Isn't that right everyone ? Man, these newbies - I tell ya !!!"

Immediately you are made to feel like an outsider. If you are lucky, another member may post in your defense and actually give you a link or two in an attempt to answer your question. There will probably be a few other "long-timers" that pile on and extoll the virtues of using the all mighty "Search Button". It makes me smile every time I see it because it is an interesting bit of human nature, more prevalent in some folks than others. I always wonder why they think asking the group of probable subject matter experts a good question is not already like using the "Search Button" ?

All of that is to say that this place welcomes new folks in, pushes them gently (or not so gently sometimes) to be active and share and then invites the newbie to sit at the "dinner table" with everyone, new and not-so-new. If the person is cut from the same cloth as we all apparently are, they quickly feel settled and we often pick up a new friend with fresh ideas, stories, skillsets, etc. Everyone benefits and it's important, as a site member and as a human being. If you allow yourself to, you can learn a great deal about people by participating in a forum like this.

I'll share something about my journey and how I ended up here. I bought my first piece of Carver gear (a M1.0t, surprised ?? emteeth.gif) in 1986. I had a McIntosh C-26 pre-amp, a Kenwood CD player and a pair of Advent Legacy speakers. My system was awesome !! Fast forward to 2012. I now have two M1.0t's, each in mono, driving a pair of AL-III Plus speakers. Everyone that comes to my home is impressed with the physical format of the system, as well as the sound. My buddy Mike (for you long-timers he has the red 1993 RX-7 with the LS-7 based engine in it I posted pictures of) is an audiophile like no other I have known. He has ZERO brand loyalty to anything in life. He simply seeks out the finest in whatever he decides to do and then chases that rabbit DEEP into it's hole. That said he is one of the brightest people I know and I appreciate his ear. He was listening to my system once and asked if I had re-capped my amps or done any work to refresh them ? Since I do all of his electronic work and computer work, he knows I play in this arena. I replied I hadn't and he mentioned reading on Audio-Karma that members there were stating the real benefits of refreshing old amps. That got me to thinking and a Google search brought me to Rich's MKII page.

I was traveling heavily for work and didn't want to get into a full amp tear-down. I sent Rich an email asking about the upgrade process. In what I know now as typical Rich banter, I received a very curt reply (which I mistakenly took as sarcastic at the time) stating I had to get on his waiting list. I asked a few more questions and received short, cold replies. I thought "This guy is an a-hole ! I'm not going to spend any money with him !!" Intent on figuring out if he was a scam or the real deal, I Googled Rich and found this forum.

I read with interest every thread I could find on the MKII process for the M1.0t. I ordered all of the parts to do both amps. I took the dining room table hostage and performed the upgrade / refresh to the first victim. Got it all back together two days later and guess what ? It didn't work !! So my first post on the forum was something like "Hi. I upgraded my amp and it doesn't work. Suggestions ??" The first response I received came from a guy named Wayne (wrf) who gave me a gentle kick to the behind by saying "Hmmm. As they say, sh** happens. It looks like you have gone with the "big bang" approach. Installed all the mods and hoped for the best."

Ouch !! Boy, he sure put me in my place !! But here is where the difference in this forum and others I participate in lies. He immediately followed up with a couple of suggestions of common mistakes to look for. Russ Kall posted suggestions for things to look for too. After I looked the amp over for obvious stuff and didn't find anything wrong, Wayne suggested that the small signal transistors have a different pin out and I should look at them. I downloaded the cut sheets and discovered that I installed all of them backwards !! I swapped them all around and the amp worked. I then posted that wrf was right and that I had been stupid and installed the transistors backwards. I also included I still had a problem in that I couldn't adjust the bias but the amp was working so progress had been made.

Wayne responded "Not stupid. Nobody who tries this is stupid. Everybody learns. There are may ways these mods can go bad and only one way they can go right. As they say, the journey is the reward. Keep us posted. This WILL go right." Of course, I figured out the issue with the bias and was able to upgrade the 2nd M1.0t in about 18 hours, as opposed to the 48 hours the first one took.

All of that was to say this - do you realize how powerful the message was, to a true newbie (my 1st post was a plea for help) that long-time members were ready and willing to jump in and help someone who should have probably not been so ambitious in their 1st upgrade attempt ? Not just for me but for other members and potential new members - you can come here and not be treated like a leper. Priceless in an increasingly remote interaction kind of world. That first act of kindness and graciousness made me want to be part of the community. Dennis Miller then sealed my fate when he generously offered up a C-1 to me for an awesome price and then started conversing with me as I started down the C-1 modification journey. As some of you know that poor C-1 was used as an extreme learning tool - it was the test bed for all things B-Man and yet somehow it has survived - I am listening to it right now. :-)

Anyway, the point of all this rambling is that what YOU do, and how YOU treat people, might and can have a profound effect on someone, whether they are a new member or an old-time member. Being part of this community is important to me. I have been in a state of flux at work, with a relocation looming over my head, for the past 2 years. I recently received word that I don't have to relocate so I am working on getting my bench set up and getting in the groove again. I will be more active here as things return to a state of normalcy for me.

To Greg - thanks for the kind words and for taking on keeping this asylum open. I don't think the world would survive unleashing this many inmates all at once, should you close the doors... happy0009.gif

To the mods - thanks for what you do. Thankless jobs for sure but important to keeping the house tidy, so to speak.

I look forward to helping Greg in any way I can. This is a new journey for me so all I can say is please be patient with me and I promise to do my best.

• Thank You 14

Stickers

Very well said Brian! The residents here are very helpful and friendly to new members! Congrats on your new status! I hope you make it to CF this year, It was pleasure meeting you 2 years ago at CF!

BarryG

• Thank You 1

Thanks for sharing your story, and taking on Admin responsibilities. As a new member here I definitely felt welcomed from the get go, and was surprised by how senior members responded to my questions. This does not happen in all forums.

• Thank You 1

One of the other cool things, that Brian's story emphasizes, is all the many unique ways that folks here have found Carver to be the exceptional delivery mechanism for music and more to their ears.

Each new person that joins with a tech support query or even just simply gets up the nerve to post after lurking for months, is of course, not only met with hearty welcome - but the forum membership's unquenchable thirst for stories to answer the question "how did YOU get started and where has your Carver journey taken you to eventually get here to TheCarverSite! ?" Bob Carver's legacy in his technical expertise, and his super friendly, helpful, and interesting character - truly lives on here.

Thanks for the story, Brian.  (and I remember the 1993 Mazda story... - hit home with me, I had a '91 targa-top) 
  • Thank You 2

Stickers

Congratulations Brian and thanks for all of your contributions to making this site and the community what it is. Yours is a treasured journey and we are all very fortunate that guys like you are the backbone of the Carversite. I'm sure that Greg welcomes your help and we are all looking forward to your leadership. Thanks for taking on this responsibility.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Congratulations Brian, Thank You. I'm sure you'll do an outstanding job. Good write up, Glad to see your not relocating....When you get setup and have some free time, I would like to be schedule a remote volume install...eusa_dance.gif
  • Thank You 1

Congrats Brian! I truly understand the "thankless job" designation. I was a mod on AudioKarma for quite a few years.
Thanks for all you do and best of luck to you. 
  • Thank You 1

Congrats, and thanks for your earlier post. Certainly a great forum here, with welcoming people. I think that it is partially due to the Carver designs. Unpretentious design with innovation where it matters at great value. That filters out the audio d1ck heads of the world I think.

And anyone named Brian has to be great guy in my experience!

• Thank You 1