david h

TFM-55 vs the TFM-55x, sound qualities and difference, if any?

Hello 
I 've been trying to find any information on the differences in the sound qualities between the TFM-55 and the TFM-55x.  I just purchased  a TFM-55 and was very curious on the difference and pros and cons, if any.  I have a TFM- 45 , and 3 of the m1.5t , and I'm trying to balance out the system as best as I can as I go and learn these Carver amps.   With all the great things Ive heard about the m500t, that would be my next addition when the right one comes along., if that would work with the system Im building now at this point.
If you could give me any info on the tfm-55 and 55x , I really would appreciate it.
David 

Hello 
I 've been trying to find any information on the differences in the sound qualities between the TFM-55 and the TFM-55x.  I just purchased  a TFM-55 and was very curious on the difference and pros and cons, if any.  I have a TFM- 45 , and 3 of the m1.5t , and I'm trying to balance out the system as best as I can as I go and learn these Carver amps.   With all the great things Ive heard about the m500t, that would be my next addition when the right one comes along., if that would work with the system Im building now at this point.
If you could give me any info on the tfm-55 and 55x , I really would appreciate it.
David 
I have had the TFM 55X. It had a less tube like sound and more of a solid state quality than some of the other Carver amps I have had. Just mho.

I have a 55 now but haven't listened to it yet.

I had read that the X models had some changes from the non X models. I had heard these changes were not under the direction of Bob. When seeing the changes, Bobs comment was said to be, "why would they do that?"

I have also heard opinions that the non X models are more desirable.

Anyone else hear the same story. Maybe it was RodertR who told it? I suspect the non X is the one to get. Maybe some others can explain the technical differences? 

• Thank You 1

As far as I know, there are no significant (if any) differences in the circuit topology (that would affect the sound signature). The TFM 55 already far surpassed the THX certification requirements, so they gave it a more modern look and slapped the THX badge on it and called it the TFM 55x. I would be surprised if you heard a noticeably different sound signature. In my opinion, the non “x” is more desirable, even though it’s older, because of the removable bottom plate. The “x” models are a bear to work on (I have 2). I find the 55(x) to have a somewhat similar sound signature to the M1.5T. Both are immensely powerful, and a touch bright or forward. You have quite a collection going -welcome to OCCD! Meetings are on tuesdays, in the basement of the church....

• Thank You 2

As far as I know, there are no significant (if any) differences in the circuit topology (that would affect the sound signature). The TFM 55 already far surpassed the THX certification requirements, so they gave it a more modern look and slapped the THX badge on it and called it the TFM 55x. I would be surprised if you heard a noticeably different sound signature. In my opinion, the non “x” is more desirable, even though it’s older, because of the removable bottom plate. The “x” models are a bear to work on (I have 2). I find the 55(x) to have a somewhat similar sound signature to the M1.5T. Both are immensely powerful, and a touch bright or forward. You have quite a collection going -welcome to OCCD! Meetings are on tuesdays, in the basement of the church....
It very well could have been TFM- 35 vs 35X that I'm thinking of. I'll ask Robert.

Imho the 55x is as Mark described (touch bright and forward). The closest amp I have had for comparison would be a big Adcom 555.. Not like the tubey sound of a TFM -45 transfer function. If your looking for the tube amp sounding transfer function with solid state convenience, a TFM -45 may be a better choice. If you like the big, powerful, solid state, kick your ass, and leave you laying on the side of the road authoritarian. Thats the 55x. Just my humble opinions. The mix with endless variations in speakers, makes huge differences in how amps perform. Plenty of variety in Carver amplifiers. They may test similar into a resistor, but they sure sound different into a loudspeaker. More opinion.

• Thank You 1

One factor you need to account for are the speakers that these amps will drive and the connection topology (bi-amping, horizontal vs vertical, etc.).  

The synergy between amps and speakers is much more critical for good sound, then the room, then the...

They may test similar into a resistor, but they sure sound different into a loudspeaker...

This sentence nails it.

• Thank You 1