Sign in to follow this  
Nahash5150

ATTENTION: SITE UPGRADE AND MIGRATION

All,

Many changes are coming in the next few weeks. Here is the plan:

- Move current site to a new host for better performance, tech support and ease of conversion. A2 Hosting will have higher yearly fees - but I can't take it anymore. Our current host, Arvixe, is a total nightmare. They are cheap, but also incompetent, slow and out of date. I will never deal with companies from India ever again.

- Convert existing database to new format for new Engine. $2000 fee for this - site donations covered - thank you!
- Stand up new Engine and connect to converted database. $550 fee for this - site donations covered - thank you!

- Conversion will not carry over everything, so much will need to be done manually -but don't worry - everyone will maintain their post count, thanks, rank, etc. Even your PMs will carry over - but don't count on the PMs!

- Verify membership structures
- Verify posting/category structure 
- Program new security masks, ranks, emotes, themes, etc
- Add pictures, Now Playing, Featured System
- Program new medal system
- Test new site
- Transfer domain
- Notify all members of new site
- Add plug-ins as needed (live chat, etc)

If you come across a problem, or if you have any questions, I'd appreciate it if you didn't complain - please contact me, B-man or Iamjohngalt. All of us are working very hard to bring this site into the 21st Century and it hasn't been easy - at all. These next coming weeks are going to be crazy, so please be patient - we are going full speed ahead and not looking back this time. I'm all in - this WILL happen, no matter what.

My email is Nahash5150@gmail.com - please contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you all for your support. I am confident you will all enjoy our new home. Until then, please continue to stay in touch on the forum in live chat or in Way Offscale - just keep it all at chitter-chatter and hold on to your DIY projects and other important stuff until we move into our new mansion on the beach.

Regards,

Hashy 
  • Thank You 19

Working with developers again! This is going so much more smoothly!!!!!

We have a NEW HOSTING company - A2 Hosting. They are fantastic! Privately owned and very responsive and helpful. Cost is about the same at $350 per year.

Here is a taste of what is coming!!!!!

20180122162557166.jpg 
Clockwise from top left:

1. Easy Quote box - you can also just hit a 'quote' button on a former post to quote it, just like here.
  2. Remove Format - get rid of color, underlines, bold, etc from pasted text - makes your selection plain text with one click.
  3. Undo, Redo, Copy, Paste & Cut - easy one-click.
  4. Preview
  5. Drag and Drop/Upload Pics - Simply drag and drop pictures or upload from here. You can also posts pics already in your own personal picture album. No more CuteEditor pop-up bullshit.
  6. Insert Media - Embed a picture or video from the internet. Just paste the link and it will automatically embed into post.

More features...
  • Auto-spell check (Google driven)
  • Auto-save as you type - never lose a post again!!!!!!!!!
  • Auto-merge posts if consecutive (no more double posts, they will just merge if you post after your own post).
  • Easy share - just click on a share button to link to a post from your own post.
More teasers to come! We're doing it!

Thank you members for your support! eusa_clap.gif

Regards,

Hashy 

• Thank You 8

Nice work Greg!  Thanks for all your work and time on this site.

New Profiles with custom Avatars and Background images...and some other things... emwink.gif

20180125101003549.jpg 
  • Thank You 5

carverbook?

tongue

Looks good Greg. Thank you for all you do for us. 

New Profiles with custom Avatars and Background images...and some other things... emwink.gif

20180125101003549.jpg 

carverbook?

tongue

Looks good Greg. Thank you for all you do for us. 

Not really. Besides, it's all optional.

It's a new, modern platform - what do you expect?

Last year I took suggestions for the new site and we are now working on a site that fulfills everything the members wanted. We'll have it all.
  • Thank You 2

20180125101003549.jpg 

Great job, Greg, we appreciate all of your efforts for the new site.
Is there a link or site  to get a look at the new avatars and backgrounds yet, or is it too soon ? 
  • Thank You 1

Great job, Greg, we appreciate all of your efforts for the new site.
Is there a link or site  to get a look at the new avatars and backgrounds yet, or is it too soon ? 

Yeah sorry, it is a little too soon. I don't want to cause confusion with an ever changing test environment that we have been playing with and then migrate again to the production site.

I can show/discuss anything you want to about the new site.

Your avatar can be any picture you want, and your profile background can be any pic too. You will have the option of uploading your own pics to your own gallery with the ability to write remarks about your photos and even open each photo up for comments and you will have a picture album for posting throughout the forum. So the next time you want to show someone your gear, just reply to a post and drag over your pic - no need to search for its link elsewhere on the forum or upload it again...and again...and again...
  • Thank You 3

20180126170123762.jpg

So my avatar will carry over or will I need to re-insert? 

Yes I believe they will carry over. If they don't, I can retrieve them. 

I successfully restored the database and engine to a new host. So if Arvixe gives us any more SH!T - we are sooo gone. I prefer to stay on Arvixe for now - I only want to transfer the Domain once.

Anyway, just a forewarning - if the site goes down and you find that posts are missing for a few days it's because I have changed the domain to a new server - which has an older database. I hope this won't happen, so that the only change will be into the NEW and UPGRADED site on the new server. eusa_clap.gif

For those of you who don't understand what I just said...

We are moving to a new house, but it's under construction so we have to stay put. The post office still delivers mail to this old house. However, the foundation could crumble at any time, so I have set up a temporary address to rent in the event we have to leave before the new house is ready. We could move into the temp house today, but we'll have to adjust again, and I will have to make the post office change addresses...then change it again once the new house is ready. And we all know what that could be like...
  • Thank You 9

.. I only want to transfer the Domain once.

Can members login to the new site using something other than  "http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/" , for example, "http://thecarversite.com/NotTheOldForum/"  ?

Can members login to the new site using something other than  "http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/" , for example, "http://thecarversite.com/NotTheOldForum/"  ?

I don't know why that would even matter...

But yes, it will likely change. All you will need to do is type 'thecarversite.com' and you'll reach the new site (just like now). 

I don't know why that would even matter...

But yes, it will likely change. All you will need to do is type 'thecarversite.com' and you'll reach the new site (just like now). 

This is for access preview while old site is the main site, so members can get a preview, before the migrated site goes online. 

Sign in to follow this