A dreaded Scintilla Owner!

Old time Apogee fan, looking for old Apogee dudes.

I still have my Rich Murry / Graz Scintillas. Packed away, moving soon to a new home with a room to set them up in. Need amps. Been researching older Sunfire amps. Talk about confusing. 300x2, 600x2, signed, not signed, signature, blah blah. Are the guts all the same?!

I remember as a kid (early 80's - sorry geezers) going to Fedco in Ontario, CA to their "AV Demo room" where they had carver gear and Ohm Walsh speakers! 

Hello narkotic and welcome to thecarversite.com. Enjoy your stay. 

Personally, I've not listened to anything finer than a BillD modified C-1 and a M500t MKII. There are several folks here fully capable of doing both modifications.

Sk1Bum

Howdy @narkotic and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board.

Bob designed a mod for Sunfire amps specifically for the Scintilla:

On 3/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, Atom666 said:
Below is an email conversation I had with Bob last year on the (Scintilla) mod

1/ Change protection resistor R49 from a 2.7 k resistor to a 1.8 k resistor.
    Change protection resistor R50 from a 2.7 k to a 1.8 k as well.
    Since there are two channels, that requires four resistors.
2/ Change inductor .01mH to .0025mH.
There is a big output inductor at the output of each channel. It's hand-wound and big and ugly - you can't miss it. On the main amp board.Remove it and wind a new one by hand with wire that's approximately twice as thick, use half the turns. That makes it 1/4 th the inductance and 1/8 th the resistance which is needed for the one ohm Apogee load. You will need to unravel the original one to find out how many turns it has
Bob

Here is what I did on my Sunfire 300
1/ For the resistors I put a 5.4K resistor in parallel with the 2.7K to give me 1800ohms
2/ What I found easier to do was wind a .005mH coil 16 gauge and put it in parallel, on the back side of the board, with the existing .01mH to give me the .0033mH and the increase in gauge
Andrew

The complete thread is HERE.

• Thank You 2

You ROCK for posting that. I remember forever ago finding that thread and thinking - man I better bookmark that sucker. Every time I find one of these amps for sale it looks like it was run over by a car.

9 hours ago, loner_t said:

Look for a 600x2 Sunfire Signature or a 625x2 Sunfire Signature II.

How exactly? Is there a master thread to identifying these amps? So far from what I've gathered, some have a signature in the upper-left corner (ironically there is one for sale now that seems to have a "fake" signature on it), some have plastic some have metal binding posts (I believe plastic to be more recent) and some have verbiage in the lower-left front corner with the wattage spelled out.

Recently I've only seen ones with the "Bob Carver" signature in the upper-left corner.

Le Sigh.

You can use the serial number to identify the models. 

625x2 has a serial number of 01 0 854 00024  - Year (20)01, Month - 0, Model - 854 - Sequence - 00024

600x2 has a serial number of 99 1 205 00517 - Year (19)99, Month - 1, Model 205 - sequence - 00517

There are 17-in and 19-in models that you will need to consider.

Also see http://www.sunfire.com/downloads_archive.asp .

Zumbini is the resident Carverpedia. He can correct/update this.

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, loner_t said:

Zumbini is the resident Carverpedia. He can correct/update this.

Wish I could help LT but I'm not that familiar with Sunfire gear.

Curious - I see a lot of "Cinema Grand" models (>2 Channel) - If I didn't use all of the channels, would it just deliver power to the used channels in the same manner and be used? Like, if I used a 7 channel amp as a 2 channel, would it essentially be the same? Or is the power supply discreet for each channel? Or is it shared?

I'm asking as I see a ton of multi channel versions on the secondhand market.

You can really only buy the 600 series amp and have or do the mod or buy 2 series 300 amps and do the mod or buy the 400x7 signature amps and do the mod plus cable it to use all the power into 2 channel. They are not all the same amp under the hood.. I myself have been looking for some sinsi speakers to drive with my 2 x 600 sunfire signatures but am still looking for some. And to put it in perspective a few months ago there where several 600x2 and 625 x2 signature amps on ebay that shrunk down in price to around $1500 so they are not that rare or expensive since jkid stopped driving up the price of them on ebay.