oldtexasdog

Karma New Hendrix CD Both Sides if the Sky

Nice offering OTD!

i love Hendrix!   I was in ninth grade when I heard the cuts from Woodstock!  The Star Spangled Banner absolutely made my day!  I now have the whole Woodstock concert streaming from amazon prime music!

i never got to see him live, but my friend Nils Lofgren saw him several times and that’s what inspired him to switch from accordion to guitar!

in please!

barryG

I got to jam with him at of all places a Steak and Ale in 1968. The boss George Beal was a investor in concerts west which put on his show at Moody at SMU and we all had tickets to the show then a after show party at the S&A. Cooked him his and others their steak dinner then we sat around drinking and jamming. Had a date and when she asked him to autograph his album (which I provided as she had no idea who Jimmie Hendrix was) He looked her up and down and said she was a sweet looking pice of Puss!!kitty cat! He was cool and just played to the others skill a great experience.

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

In please.  I've always loved Hendrix for his style.  Playing a right hand guitar strung right handed and learning to play it left hand and strung upside down for a lefty was a feat of it's own, but he mastered it in a way that no one else in his time could.  He was a great friend with Janis Joplin and the loss of Jimmy was too great for her.  It was a sad day when we lost both these music legends.  IMO Mahogany Rush "Moonlight lady" played alongside of Jimmy Hendrix's "When the Wind Cries Mary" is indistinguishable to me.  In that number Rush was the closest one to imitate Hendrix.   It was a prime time of my Teen years that will never be forgotten. 

http://<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E0RKB8ve_eM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sorry it didn't take that link 

Edited by danowood

I discovered Jimi Hendrix just a few years or so before his death, and I was 14 or 15. My dad was a Johnny Carson guy, but he had fallen asleep in front of the TV and the Dick Cavett show was on. I was in bed, and I heard Hendrix start playing "The Star Spangled Banner." I was up and in the living room. It was a clip from Woodstock, and Cavett and Hendrix talked about it a bit. If I remember correctly, Hendrix played "Hear My Train A-Coming" live on the Cavett show, but that's been over 40 years ago, and I may be thinking of more than one show.

Jimi Hendrix single handedly changed my music tastes from bubble gum to psychedelic acid blues rock. I didn't even know what Purple Haze was, but I knew I loved it. Fire, All Along The Watchtower, Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Red House, The Wind Cries Mary, Third Stone From The Sun..."and to you I will put an end. May you never hear surf music again." I was a changed teen. I still have, and regularly play, Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and Rainbow Bridge. I played Valleys of Neptune either yesterday or the day before.  

Yes, I am in, and we all win because of the most innovative guitarist of all time, and many, myself included, believe the greatest guitarist of all time.

Thank you old texas dog.

Posted (edited)

I've always loved Jimi, his music was so different from what was being played on the radio at that time.

I remember an interview with Jimi and he was asked what it felt like to be the best guitarist in the world and he replied I don't know you need to go ask Rory Gallagher that question.

Very humble man......... 

In Please

Edited by Blues Pwr

Well I got it in and played my disk. Interesting--It was put out by the family and comes with a booklet explaining all the cuts. Quote: Both sides Of The Sky presents thirteen studio recordings made between 1968 and 1970. It is the third volume in a trilogy-Valleys Of Neptune,Hells And Angles, People, intended to present the best and most signifcant unissued studio recordings remaining in the Hendrix archive. The April 22 1969 session for "Mannish Boy" marked the first ever recording session by the trio who would become the Band of Gypsys. bassist-Billy Cox-Drummer Buddy Miles.

Seemed he would go out for a night on the town then invite folks over to his new toy-the "studio" and jam.  Stills, Crosby, Nash, and Young, Dallas Taylor, Mitch Mitchell, Duane Hitchings, Johnny Winter, Lonnie Youngblood. It was engineered and mixed by Eddie Kramer

Is it the best Hendrix I ever heard-No

Is it a fulfilling album and fun to listen to-Yes

Does it need a good system due to it being on the -rough_ side--Yes Studio cuts right. I noticed a huge difference on which system I was listening on.

Like I said

INTRESTING

Very Intresting (2).jpg

• Thank You 2

WOW  Great Karma James..........   It will be the missing piece in my Hendrix collection.  Thanks so much Brutha for thinking of us all on the site to share your experience.

• Thank You 1