Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjt

Things you maybe never noticed about certain songs/albums/artists.

This is NOT another favorite song/album/artist thread, nor is it a “what are you listening to” thread.  I would like this to be a place to highlight certain things that you never noticed about music you listen to, until maybe you heard it on a new system, heard a better recording, or (in my case today) you maybe just slowed down a listened a little better.

I was listening to the Doobie Brothers today, taking a little breather from the bench. I’ve listened to them for decades, mostly while driving - IMHO, it’s damn hard to beat the Doobies’ for driving music. However, today I noticed just what an awesome bass line most of their songs have - from China Grove, to What A Fool Believes - just a great, solid bass line. I am ashamed to admit that I have never really noticed before, but I’ll never hear them the same way again!

• Thank You 2

Every time I listen to Bob Seeger's Turn The Page, while driving, the following line

You can listen to the engine moanin' out it's one note song 

continues to play in a loop in my head, even after the car has stopped. 

Doobie Brother's It Keeps You Running has a haunting chorus. 

• Thank You 2

Stickers

The last line of Turn The Page, before the final chorus, always kinda made me wonder. Only time in the song he mentions “she”...

Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringin' in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette,

Rememberin' what she said

Here I am
On the road again
There I am
Up on the stage
Here I go
Playin' star again
There I go
Turn the page
Here I am
On the road again
There I am
Up on the stage
Here I go
Playin' star again
There I go
Turn the page
There I go
There I go

• Thank You 1

This happens to me a lot. Most of the time, it is something in the background, like bottle being thrown down in the alley on Dire Straits song, "Private Investigations". It happens right after you hear the cat in the alley howl. The bottle is much much softer.

There are so many more examples that arise when you get a new system, or in my case, start listening with headphones.

• Thank You 1

In Great White's "House Of Broken Love", right after the awesome guitar solo, there is a faint electronic "beep". I can't tell you how many stereos I've listened to that did not reproduce that little "beep" where you could hear it as well as I can on my system.

It happens in this section of the lyrics:

When the night falls and she's leavin' (BEEP)
Oh the moon shines so cold and gray
Hear my heartbeat yeah yeah hear me weepin'
Pain and sorrow's here to stay

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Come Together

The “breathy accent that sounded like ‘shoooook’ against the downbeat, repeating the effect at the bridge tying each bar together” but, in reality, “at the end of each line, John sang the phrase ‘shoot me!”

“On the finished record, you can only hear the word ‘shoot’,…the bass guitar note falls where the ‘me’ is.”

Give it it a go. Have you heard, without this audio cue, “shooooot  me”? Not me. I’ve always interpreted it as a percussive vocal interjection dovetailing with Ringo’s drum figure.

From The Beatles, The Biography, Bob Spitz (2005).

img%5D

• Thank You 3

Addendum to above: Watch Anil Seth, How Your Brain Hallucinates Your Conscious Reality, on TED. In particular, beginning at  6:05: “One more example of how the brain uses new predictions to change what we consciously experience. Have a listen to this”. Then, explaining,  “the sensory information coming into the brain hasn’t changed at all. All that’s changed is your brain’s best guesses …& that changes what you consciously hear.”   Adding this in the spirit of  Daddyjt's theme of "highlighting certain things that you never noticed about music you listen to until..."

• Thank You 1