Carver Preamplifiers - Need Opinions

Chops -

Two quick questions -

Whats the difference between the  4000 and the 4000t

I'm looking at Tuners - I don't listen to a ton of AM/FM. That being said, do I really need the 11a or could I just go with a TX 2 or a TX 8

Thanks!

Tom

2 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

I'm looking at Tuners - I don't listen to a ton of AM/FM. That being said, do I really need the 11a or could I just go with a TX 2 or a TX 8

TX8 and TX8r (Remote version of TX8) are black-face, while TX2 and TX11(a) are Anthracite. TX2 closely matches a C2, while a TX-11(a) matches a C-1 more closely. Consider a TX-11, if you do not need AM. 

Edited by loner_t

I'm rather partial to the TX-10, it's a good tuner when paired with a good antenna, it's black faced.B|

It also has AM if you need it.

Edited by peck555
Additional info

8 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

Whats the difference between the  4000 and the 4000t

The C-4000 was produced from 79-85. It had built-in (15 wpc?) amps for the time delay channels and was known to be a bit noisy.

The 4000t was produced from 86-89. The time delay channels became line level outputs and some of the noise issues were addressed.

8 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

Any Carver tuner will produce acceptable results if you feed them via a good external antenna. 

If you are in an urban location with multi-path issues I recommend the TX-11a or TX-11b.

• Thank You 2