• Announcements

• Nahash5150

Member Map   04/08/18

To all users: I will be updating the Member Map, so please update your Location on your profile. Please see THIS POST for details (Click on the Member Map announcement title to get link to show up). Thank you!
TomcatCrew

Carver Preamplifiers - Need Opinions

Chops -

Two quick questions -

Whats the difference between the  4000 and the 4000t

I'm looking at Tuners - I don't listen to a ton of AM/FM. That being said, do I really need the 11a or could I just go with a TX 2 or a TX 8

Thanks!

Tom

2 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

I'm looking at Tuners - I don't listen to a ton of AM/FM. That being said, do I really need the 11a or could I just go with a TX 2 or a TX 8

TX8 and TX8r (Remote version of TX8) are black-face, while TX2 and TX11(a) are Anthracite. TX2 closely matches a C2, while a TX-11(a) matches a C-1 more closely. Consider a TX-11, if you do not need AM. 

Edited by loner_t

I'm rather partial to the TX-10, it's a good tuner when paired with a good antenna, it's black faced.B|

It also has AM if you need it.

Edited by peck555
Additional info

8 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

Whats the difference between the  4000 and the 4000t

The C-4000 was produced from 79-85. It had built-in (15 wpc?) amps for the time delay channels and was known to be a bit noisy.

The 4000t was produced from 86-89. The time delay channels became line level outputs and some of the noise issues were addressed.

8 hours ago, TomcatCrew said:

Any Carver tuner will produce acceptable results if you feed them via a good external antenna. 

If you are in an urban location with multi-path issues I recommend the TX-11a or TX-11b.

• Thank You 2