Sign in to follow this  
Cool Ohm

Finally! Just Scored an M1.0t - Happy Day

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know my quest is over (for now :))...!  Finally got myself the amp I wanted - an M1.0t.

This one is the inverting model, and the owner says to his knowledge it has never been opened.  No issues apparently...  He was using it bridged to drive the sub in the picture (it has a blown plate amp).  I asked the seller to throw the sub in and he graciously agreed.

I have not seen this baby in person, I should receive it soon.  My brother did the transaction for me and tells me the face plate looks really good (not perfect, but very clean)!

20180429_121045.thumb.jpeg.24c46449a97c80312eac0aafdbed9632.jpeg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Congratulations it's a great amp. The amp that won the "Carver Challenge" and made Stereophile throw in the towel in defeat.

Is there a list of techs who can do the MkII upgrade?  I saw it once but I have not been able to find it since...

1 hour ago, kingman said:

Nice purchase! Try it out before you do the upgrade. You might be  pleasantly surprised...

+1

Okay - thanks for the advice...  I will open it up and look at the large caps to check for any signs of distress.  If I see bulging or convex tops, then I will be at least doing a cap upgrade first.

Best regards,,

D

Update!  I tried out the amp last night!  Brought the C-1 and a tuner upstairs and this will be the new living room system.  Heard a Carver amp for the first time last night.

OMG this thing sounds so sweet I could listen to it all day!  Even my wife commented on the sound.  She described as 'clear' - I have to agree with her.  For now I am driving my Cambridge Ensemble (two minimus style satellites with two passive subs in parallel, 6 ohms).

Here is a picture of the current rig.  The Luxman tuner must return to the basement (it just doesn't match), and the Kenwood receiver will be relegated into storage.

I sold my house and will be moving into a new one in a couple months.  The new rig will see the Cambridge replaced with 901s on tulip stands.

Thanks to you all for the excellent advice!

IMG_1938.thumb.JPG.271737fb743d40b4523c1e2106431b30.JPG

David

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, UncleMeat said:

Will you run the Ohm Walsh speakers with your M-1.0t once you've moved?

Great question.  I don't think so.  The Ohms will stay downstairs with the big Hafler mainly for marital reasons.  Ohm offers a really sweet deal to owners of the Ohm Fs.  I can get a hefty discount on a new set of speakers if I return them, or I can send back the drivers (regardless of condition) and they will sell me a pair of modern Walsh replacement drivers with new grilles.  The new drivers will bolt on right onto the cabinets.  Because of the massive size of the old F cabinets the response is boosted relative to the factory set-up for the modern speaker (F2000).  The price for this latter option is $1500 US.  It is really tempting.

I wonder if anyone here has heard the new Ohms?