Sign in to follow this  
Papajoe

Hi all. Well, I'm back. Site looks wonderful.

Hi,

To all my friends who are still on here. "HELLO"

I have been busy creating sculptures and enjoying my retirement. I tried to get on the site a while back; but, I could not get in.  The work that you have done on here is amazing. My Kudos to the people who did the work.  The 'Carvers' have all been behaving themselves.  Now that I have a 4K TV, I have been using them more for theater sound.  But, I have returned here also to get some of our members sage advice. I have been using my original Sunfire TG IV as the preamp/processor in my theater. I have it configured so that the recently purchased Oppo BDP105 is fed thru the 7 channel inputs and the TV's Digital audio out is routed through the Sunfire surround sound. But, i have noticed that the Sunfire surround processor when compared to the newer one in the Oppo, has lost some of its discreteness. I know that you will probably say "when was the last time it was refurbished"?  So, that is my problem, is it worth it to have it refubished?  The firmware that is available is still from when they last produced it in the 1990's. Do you think that a complete refurbish, all caps, resistors, etc. , and installing the old firmware, will do any good? 

Thanks, Joe

Why not consider a more modern audio processor to match the 4K UHD (with HDR) and get HDMI?

34 minutes ago, Papajoe said:

But, i have noticed that the Sunfire surround processor when compared to the newer one in the Oppo, has lost some of its discreteness.

• Thank You 1

Good advice Lt.

I recently finished my HT Room, I bought a Onkyo NR-757....at London Drugs for $499 Can......thats about $50 US.....lol.

I bought a 4K DVD player as well as a 65" 4K Television.

I have a lot to learn.....like using my phone as the remote....wtf

Things have come a long way in a short time.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome back papajoe, wondered where you went.  Glad to see you back  on board.

Edited by danowood
spelling correction

I have the TG-V and oppo 105 and can choose source direct (the oppo) then the TG-V is not using it's dac. Does the TG-IV have that feature?

Cuda-

By using the OPPO's 7 channel out to the TGIV's 7 channel ins,  I am using the up to date decoders in the Oppo to decode the DVD and streaming audio.  There is one problem inherent in doing this, the 7 channel' in' on the TG IV,  bypasses its tone control and surround sound capabilities. So, you have to set all the 'surround sound' settings in the Oppo for that input.   Had to 'carefully' read the manual to find that out.  Now, if I feed a Dolby Digital signal into the TG IV like from the TV, I have to also set-up the TG IV's Surround settings for that input. 

What has made me think about the decoded audio signal is, since the Oppo and the TV both have the VUDU apps on them, I am able to listen to the same 'streaming' movie on both unit. Almost at the same time. Meaning that to do so, I must log-in to VUDU on both units, which give VUDU a slight problem, easily solved by loging in each time I switch units.  The sound difference is quite amazing between the Oppo's present day decoding and the older DSP on the TG IV.  Hence, is it better to have the TG IV refurbished with the 2008 firmware or invest in a newer unit? Keeping in mind my financial status.