Sign in to follow this  
kve777

Hegeman HAPI 2 Preamp

I've been searching for a nice preamp (or three) to go with the upcoming CarverFest amps. I had my hopes on getting another Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS, but they are not cheap. Nor readily available. This morning I spotted a Hegeman HAPI 2, with rare outboard transformer, that had been completely gone through. I made an offer, was countered, made a counter to that and struck a deal. I know Bob speaks highly of Stu Hegeman and this pre got great reviews. Hoping it pairs well with tubes.

image.thumb.png.a2257709630881a0da0234eea487c1e1.png

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Wow that’s really nice, looks to be really well-built.

Very nice Kevin!  Are you bringing it to CF?

1 hour ago, kve777 said:

Yes, Barry, I will be bringing a few preamps to try.

I hope you also have a Tube Pre in your arsenal at CF2018.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, loner_t said:

I hope you also have a Tube Pre in your arsenal at CF2018.

I have a couple of Dynaco PAS', I'll bring them, too. Somehow I'm expecting an SS pre to match better with digital sources into these CF amps, though.

Edited by kve777
  • Thank You 1

I’ll be bringing my new to me AVA (Audio by Van Alstine) hybrid valve FET preamp I bought from Jim.

Posted (edited)

Cool.

Oh yeah, I'll be bringing a BottleHead Foreplay tube preamp, with mods, and a matching BH Seduction phono preamp, too.

Klipsch Heresy 1.5 speakers for sure, maybe others. I have Cerwin Vega D-5's, not sure if they are coming.

Edited by kve777

There is one on eBay listed here in Maryland!  What is a good price on these?

Bob will appreciate your bringing that preamp I'm sure. Question, there doesn't seem to be anyone mentioning how the BillD c1 will pair with the Fest amp. Aren't SS preamps mated to tube amps supposed to tighten up the low end, and good ones get out of the way of the mid/highs? I'm just learning here and want to move toward running the Tesla's with the tubes and vinyl set up. Should I be on the look out now for what might be a better preamp w/phono just to aquaint myself with brands and pricing? Then after the 'fest there might be a better thought on what would work well with it?

• Thank You 1

23 hours ago, pindrop said:

Question, there doesn't seem to be anyone mentioning how the BillD c1 will pair with the Fest amp.

A C-1 should be excellent with the CF tube amp.  I'm running a stock C-11 with my Marshall tube amp.  I'd like to try a good all-tube pre for comparison at some point.

• Thank You 1

Sign in to follow this