Best bang for the buck?

I'm looking to upgrade my sound...(said no one ever). Which direction do you think will have the larger impact? Purchasing a C-1 (I have a buddy who is willing to sell a EU version) and BillDing it, or buying a pair of powered subs? I currently run a Nad 116 pre and Infinity IL40's (bi amped with a M-1.0t on the highs and a M-1.5t running the lows). Hoping for some sage advice. :)

My suggestion - hang on to the NAD, buy one sub, listen to it. Decide if you need a second sub. If you do not need a second sub, consider a BillD C1 for audition, before you get the Euro C1 and spend on a BillD.

• Thank You 2

Good suggestion. I've heard that stereo subs are the way to go for 2 channel, but the cost of 2 decent powered subs would be 3x the price of a BillDed C-1. I would love to use passive subs (as I have a Crown K2 which is a killer amp designed specifically for that), but haven't been able to find any decent ones as everyone is going to powered. 

If you feel like building an enclosure for a sub, Kve777 (Kevin) may have some subwoofers (drivers). 

Edited by loner_t
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, loner_t said:

If you feel like building an enclosure for a sub, Kve777 (Kevin) may have some subwoofers (drivers). 

I might...?  There are some good Car Audio subs out there, like the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1, that can be used as a home sub. That crown would power them nicely.

If you are looking for more intense bass, sub(s) are the way to go. If you are looking for more detail and better soundstage, the C-1 w/ BillD mods is the way to go. Only you can decide.

If you need advice on good, used powered subs, PSB and Velodyne bargains are out there.

• Thank You 3

4 hours ago, kve777 said:

I might...?  There are some good Car Audio subs out there, like the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1, that can be used as a home sub. That crown would power them nicely.

If you are looking for more intense bass, sub(s) are the way to go. If you are looking for more detail and better soundstage, the C-1 w/ BillD mods is the way to go. Only you can decide.

If you need advice on good, used powered subs, PSB and Velodyne bargains are out there.

I'm looking for both. LOL I think I might start with the C-1 as I have one locally available and am ultimately looking for accuracy over boom. Does the improved detail  in the  C-1 extend to the lower end frequencies?