To start with, I have to admit, much of my system probably rates about the level of an 80's boombox, compared to the average, here, with at least one exception, that will become obvious.
the pieces may be more budget than what is appropriate for all of our ears, but they were carefully chosen for sound where it count.

So how did it come about?  I've had an interest in quality Hi-Fi since I first discovered music in my teens.  I always had as good eqipment as I could affort,  though being in University at the time, that was typically well below true Hi-Fi .  I did follow all the big names and dreamed, including beig fascinated by a neat new company called Carver when it came out with this wonderful sounding concept, called Sonic  Holography.

A couple of years later, I was lucy enough to get to check out a conumer electrinics show which,back then was primarily Hi`Fi, I wandered around fronm booth to booth, and room to room.

Yeah, sounds ok, next.  Not bad, next.  Decent, but bascally boring.   

And so it went.  

Until I walked into one room and WHOAH!!!!!  What is THAT!  The sound was incredible and filled the room like nothing I ever imagined, let alone heard.  Where am I?  A quick look, where's the sigh?  And there it is ... CARVER!

That was my intro to sonic holigraphy, and it left a very serious mark on my audio dreams.  I'm one of those lucky people who doesn't need to be right in the sweet spot to get that great effect - it's better, yes, but off center I still hear it.

Unfortunatey, life intervened,and I never did get that covetted Carver system.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago,  and many people are abandonig 2-channel systems for surround sound, so I thought "hmmm, maybe there are one foolish people dumping Carver SH units, that those of u who don't care about vidio could give a new home to?"

A quick look online and a willing sucker was found.  soon a lovely C`9 was on its way to me..

As fate would have it,  the  C-9 sat, unplugged on my cabinet until a few weeks, ago, whoen in a fit of (in)sanity, I yanked the back of the cabinet and reworked the cabling adding it in.  I fire things up, and start some music, then I hiit the BUTTON.  Ahhhhh. The whole room changes and fills with sound - it IS everything I remember from those years ago.

So that, folks, is why I'm here.

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

Howdy Brian and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the intro.

I had a similiar "come to Carver" moment, as did many of your fellow CarverSite members. It's good to have a common thread...

Don't worry about not having the shiniest, newest, highest fidelity kit. It's all OK as long as you are enjoying the music!

Hope you stick around, and please post some photos of your system (in the Member's Systems forum) so we don't have to beg you. ;) 

• Thank You 1

Hello Brian and welcome. We're glad you're here.  Like Z said, all that matters is how it sounds to you. I've said before if 2 tin cans and a string sounds good to someone,  they're thousands of dollars ahead of me.

Post some pics,  kick your shoes off, and welcome to the asylum. 

• Thank You 1

Hey - another audio genius !! (With the name Brian, it just makes sense !!!)  :)

We are glad you found us. Your story has more to do with a lot of us here than you might think. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Please look around, post some pictures and let us know if you need help with anything.

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the forum Brian.

Glad you decided to join in on all the fun.

Tell us more about the rest of your system, we love and appreciate all audio equipment, we are all in different places on our musical journey. 

Also what types of music/bands/artists do you enjoy listening to ?

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the site, Brian. I can totally relate to lusting of audio gear in my younger days. I swear I used to buy the Stereo Review magazine more to lust over the ads than to read the content! Among my favorites were Matthew Polk standing next to the SDA SRS, the Infinity Reference IV, and of course the Carver ads promising incredible power and fidelity in revolutionary new designs. 

Dont worry at all about the $ you have in your system - most of us here are pretty “beer budget”.  Unlike the audio snobs, we prefer to enjoy the music, vs chasing “perfection”...

let us us know if we can be of any help!

• Thank You 1

Welcome Brian,

I think it is safe to say that you will be hard pressed to find audio snobbery here, just a group passionate about good sound and how to achieve it.

Enjoy the info and the journey.

PhilDent

• Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Glad you found us! You should be hip deep in Carver gear by the end of September! LOL.

OCCD is contagious,  and we're a motley bunch of enablers.  ?

• Thank You 1

Hello  Brian,

Generous, knowledgeable, helpful, kind friends here. Join the conversations, look back into the topics, enjoy the community.

img%5D

• Thank You 1

Hello Brian,

Welcome to this wonderful site,  I'm sure you will find it very informative and friendly.  I'm so glad I found this place too.

Glad to have you here.

Turbo

• Thank You 1

Wow, and Thank You!

I've been bouncing around the Internet since well before the first web browser (yes, I did use an early pre-release browser, when the web was just research facilities), and I have never seen a welcome like this, anywhere.  If this is an indication of what people are like, here, I think I've found the long lost hiding place of all the good people.  I'm not sure I rate in that group, but I'll try.

KVE777 you worry me.  You have no clue how close I came to adding a C-4000, and M-series poweramp, yesterday.    ?  Whimper...

Pictures have to wait, until I finish fixing the stand.  Right now, it's a mess - my cleaner is slacking again, and busy reading Carversite forums.  I promise something soonish.

dcl, I love the advanced purr generator on your system.  I'm sure it improves the sound considerably.

Thanks again, all of you.

Oops - sorry, I missed peck555's dangerous suggestion, in there, as well.  I am definitely doomed...

For those asking, my music tastes tend towards Progressive Rock.  I have Marillion on right now, but a lot of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson have been in there lately.  But my tastes do wander, so the music does vary.

Misplaced Childhood is one of my favorites !!!

4 hours ago, kve777 said:

Glad you found us! You should be hip deep in Carver gear by the end of September! LOL.

The funny part is everyone here knows Kevin isn't joking !!!

• Thank You 1

B-Man, you have good taste, but that goes with the name.

I was hoping you were going to say he was joking, not clairvoyant.  Excuse me while I go change my PayPal password to something random that I can't remember .

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

my music tastes tend towards Progressive Rock.  I have Marillion on right now, but a lot of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson have been in there lately.  But my tastes do wander, so the music does vary.

Cool! Prog rock has been a staple on my play list since the mid/late 60's thanks to a friend's older brother who liked Amon Duul, Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd, The Moody Blues and King Crimson.

• Thank You 1