New Guy from Metro Detroit

So, it turns out my mid life crisis involves vintage stereo equipment not a new Corvette. I got back into two channel audio last year and I can't stop eyeballing Carver gear. I bough two broken amps - one from craigslist (TFM-24) and one from ebay (TFM-25) and I am in the process of getting them going. Both of them have very clean looking boards, original caps, and no scorch marks that I can find. They both have the same issues - one good channel and one bad (the 24 is static-ey, the 25 is out completely) I would like to pair at least one of them with some vintage Magneplanars at some point, and possibly a vintage McIntosh pre-amp (something simple like a C24).

I am a mechanical engineer, but I am in the process of learning a bit more about electronics via the local community college. This site looks like a great place to get into the nuts and bolts of Carver gear. I have been hooked on Carver since I read the Stereophile article about Bob cloning the amp sound. I have been dying to get a listen to his Transfer Function Amps, and I figured buying and repairing one would be the best way.

Anyone else around here from Detroit?

Thank you.

-Geoff

• Thank You 5

Hello Geoff, and welcome to thecarversite. We're glad to have you hear(:D).  There are very talented techs here that will help you get your amps going. I noticed that some have already answered some questions, and pointed you in the right direction.

I hope you enjoy your stay and the tunes.

Oh, and we all like pics of audio gear.

giphy.gif.3b5f93606aabb65bfa376f8d539d5b8d.gif

• Thank You 1

Howdy Geoff and welcome to the forum. Thanks for introducing yourself. Please tell us more about yourself, your taste in music, non-audio hobbies, etc.

When you get around to posting system pics, please start a thread in Member Systems.

Good luck with your amp projects!

• Thank You 1

Welcome aboard Geoff from a former Yooper!

Those amps will do you very well when repaired.

They are pretty easy to work on.

Pull up the schematics and study them awhile.

Assuming you have a decent soldering station and a digital multimeter, you should be ready.

A 'scope would be nice but shouldn't be necessary.

Having one working channel will be a big help in comparing voltages. What should be there vs what is there.

One word of caution: there are high voltage inside there in various locations that can kill!

Another note is the power supply caps keep a charge for a very long time, even after they are shut down and unplugged.

I made a voltage drain device from a couple clip leads with a resistor in line to keep the drain current down.

I'm heading to the UP shortly, gotta pay Mom a visit.

The techs here are the best and are very helpful.

Pull up a chair and enjoy a visit. 

There are a few threads around to browse and gain some familiarity with the amps.

• Thank You 1

Thanks for including us in your Carver journey. If you get stumped don't be afraid to ask - there's lots of talent here.

Be sure to throw some pics of your set-up in the Member Systems section.

Enjoy !!!

6 hours ago, SomeGeoffGuy said:

So, it turns out my mid life crisis involves vintage stereo equipment not a new Corvette. I got back into two channel audio last year and I can't stop eyeballing Carver gear. I bough two broken amps - one from craigslist (TFM-24) and one from ebay (TFM-25) and I am in the process of getting them going. Both of them have very clean looking boards, original caps, and no scorch marks that I can find. They both have the same issues - one good channel and one bad (the 24 is static-ey, the 25 is out completely) I would like to pair at least one of them with some vintage Magneplanars at some point, and possibly a vintage McIntosh pre-amp (something simple like a C24).

I am a mechanical engineer, but I am in the process of learning a bit more about electronics via the local community college. This site looks like a great place to get into the nuts and bolts of Carver gear. I have been hooked on Carver since I read the Stereophile article about Bob cloning the amp sound. I have been dying to get a listen to his Transfer Function Amps, and I figured buying and repairing one would be the best way.

Anyone else around here from Detroit?

Thank you.

-Geoff

Welcome Geoff!

I believe both of those amps use individual speaker relays for the left and right channel outputs. I repaired my TFM-55 with relays from circuits and concept if you determine that's the root cause. Les is a great resource for high quality parts and a member of this forum. 

Good luck and post your progress!

6 minutes ago, SomeGeoffGuy said:

I don't have any working Carver stuff right now but I will post some pics of what is in progress.

Thanks Geoff, but they don't have to be pics of Carver gear, or your current system. If it's audio-related, and you owned, borrowed, or stole it at some time, feel free to post away. ?

Welcome Geoff! Carver is my mid life crisis as well! lol I've been keeping an eye open for some TFM's myself. (leaning toward the 45 or 55) I know there is a list of which amps they are modified to clone but can't seem to find it. I understand that they have a different but equally pleasing sound.

welcome home.jpg

Welcome to the site Geoff, glad you found us and decided  to join in on all the forum has to offer.

What types of music and bands/artists do you enjoy listening to ?

I like modern blues guitar rock : Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Tab Benoit, Jimmy D. Lane

14 hours ago, kve777 said:

Welcome, Geoff! 

Ye shall reap the rewards of owning vintage Carver gear. I hope you have a lot of money to buy more...?

Yea, two TFM55's just sold on ebay. Had to use some willpower to not click the bid button. One sold for $530, the other for $640.

-Geoff