Sk1Bum

Polk SDA on Craiglist

Posted (edited)

I found this listing on Craigslist for a set of Polk speakers asking $300.

The listing just says  they are SDA SRS.

Other listings I've seen on CL and eBay are generally in the $1400-1600 range, so this appears to be a too good to be true, and of course that makes me cautious.

Those of you familiar with Polks, what questions should I ask, and what should I look and look out for?

Thanks all.

Edited by Sk1Bum
correction

The CL advertisement says - size / dimensions: 64" X 22" X 13" which look like the big boys. Based on SRS 1.2 manual, the dimensions indicate a SRS 1.2. Ask for pictures, condition of the mid-range and woofer surrounds, etc.. If you can audition these, carry a small round tube (like the toilet paper tube) and listen to each driver. Ask about any repairs to the cabinet(s) and/or grills.

• Thank You 1

The map address is about 10 minutes from me, so if the owner and I can make arrangements, I will look & listen as soon as possible. The paper tube is a great idea! Thank you. Is there anything I should look for with the interconnect cable for the speakers, provided it's included?

I suggest you become familiar with the SDA series by reading the SDA Handbook. It contains a detailed history of each speaker, lists generational changes and driver complements, and provides photos.

NOTES

The larger SDA's like the 1.2 and 1.2tl include as many as 4 tweeters and 8 mid-woofers with a crossover that is essentially 6-way. Each tweeter is fed a unique signal so they should sound subtly different. The mid-woofers are arranged in two horizontal groups, one for normal stereo and the other for the "dimensional array".

The passive sub is very hard to find and expensive to replace so be sure the rubber surround is intact and it is working properly.  (These are sealed speakers so any leaks will reduce bass response and overall efficiency.)

Lastly, you will need a common ground amp to use the stock interconnect cable. (150 - 300 wpc is recommended.) Alternately you can use a non-common ground amp if you do NOT use the cable. You can still get the dimensional effect via a Carver C-9 or preamp with sonic holography.

• Thank You 1

If they are missing the interconnect cable, us that fact as a bargaining point. However, do not worry, as there are many options to retrofit a replacement:-). I can help you there. Remember lacement drivers are available from polk, so again, if any are blown, us as a bargaining point. 

Keep us posted!

• Thank You 1

Excellent advice already given!  At $300 price point, I would expect some drivers not working!

i had fun upgrading mine!

i think Travis is going to sell his upgraded sda’s but at a higher price than this!

Barry

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I was too late.

DANG!

If it makes you feel better, at that price they were probably in terrible shape...

Posted (edited)

LOL, It doesn't really matter. I will still retire in 3 years. I still have daughters that are two of the finest women I've ever known, and there will always be more deals.

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • That Rocks 2

This same set of speakers is back up on Craigslist and eBay 

You can make out the serial numbers on the back of the speakers, and they match the numbers in the original $300 listing.

Are you in the car yet??

Never mind - someone is trying to flip them. $1500 is too much, especially without the RDO 194 tweeter upgrade. 

• Thank You 1

Flipping them for $1K is what I had in mind if I didn't fall in love with them.

12 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

$1500 is too much, especially without the RDO 194 tweeter upgrade.

Agreed. $800 - 1,000 would be reasonable.

FYI: I see SL2000 tweeters in the new listing photos so those are either 3rd gen SDA SRS or 4th gen SDA SRS 1.2's. (5th gen 1.2tl's came with SL3000 tweeters.)

SL1000

polk-audio-peerless-sl1000-tweeter_1_d7a

SL2000

Polk-Audio-Tweeter-sl2000-Polk-Monitor-5

SL3000

Polk-Audio-OEM-RD0198-1-SL3000-1-Dome-Tw

The best way to determine which model he has is to pull and check the mid-woofers. All 8 mid-woofers in the SDA SRS should be MW6503. The 1.2 has 4 MW6503 drivers for the stereo array but the 4 drivers in the SDA array were changed to MW6511. Model numbers are listed on the back of the magnets as shown below.

dz2io9gtdcjo.jpg

• Thank You 1