The music memory game

Nahash5150

I'd like to see music with more context, so I though, why not make a topic for people to share a little of their own history with music?

Here's how it works:

Post a memory about the song posted before you, then post a song for someone else to wax nostalgia with! You're welcome to comment on why you're posting your song for others to listen, but make it short and sweet. The spotlight is on the responder!

(If you never heard it, then please defer to someone who did...bumping is allowed after 3 days of no responses)

So here goes!

I was just a kid when this was popular, and I remember it was the most exciting song I ever heard! I was on the school bus home and us kids were dancing in our seats like total maniacs. It was such a blast. To this day, this extraordinary artist still sounds as fresh and exciting as he did so many years ago. What were you doing when you first heard this masterpiece!

• Thank You 2

I was a Freshman in High School when that fabulous Album came out in 76'.  I love roller skating to that tune too.  Skating was big way back then.

My most memorable tune I'd ever hear is when I was still in middle school.  I was down and out and had moved so many times, my Dad was in the Air Force.

I'll never forget this tune from 71':

Turbo

• Thank You 3

I was quite young, but I distinctly remember my mom crying and listening to Staiway To Heaven over and over on 8-track after my father left. Probably because of that memory, the song has always had an overwhelmingly sad connotation for me. 

And now, for one I find to be the polar opposite and superbly uplifting:

• Thank You 3

I was a high school radio DJ. The station was located in a separate room attached to the electronics class and during senior year I ran the last 3 hrs of the school day playing anything I chose. One day the electronics teacher was reviewing the day’s playlist when he saw Foreplay - Long Time in the log and he nearly blew a vein in his skull convinced there was sexual innuendo in the song. I had to play it for him to keep my slot at the controls.

• Thank You 2

I first heard ABACAB at a friend's house. His dad had a pretty nice system (well, it was BIG) and let it play all day on the weekends sometimes. Anyway, it was summer, we were relaxing in the air conditioning from a hot day outside, and basically exhausted from riding our bikes. ABACAB started rocking, and I was covered in chills the entire song. I never heard anything like it. I remember asking who it was and how rad the song sounded, and my friend just shrugged and walked out to head back outside. I also remember requesting it at other people's houses (because when you're a kid, you don't really understand music taste all that much...you think everyone owns the good songs!) and they had NO IDEA what I was talking about. It wasn't until Mtv that I was able to listen to it again.

• Thank You 2

Love Genesis too!  Have most all of their stuff and Phil Collins' solo stuff as well.

After my down and out experience in 71', I was riding the school Bus home one day and we had a really cool driver that had a killer stereo in her bus.   This was now 72' and she jammed rock and roll mostly on our rides to and from school.  I heard the following tune for the first time ever on her bus in 72':

You should've seen us kids when she cranked it up for us on our way home on the last day of school that Summer!  We went nuts!

It was also on her school bus in 73' was the first time I'd ever heard of this, then unknown, band and she jammed it loud for us.  All us kids went crazy and they became one of my favorite bands of all time:

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
embedded video
  • Thank You 2

Ah yes I remember Dream On blasting on the radio and us little snots bobbing our heads - an inspirational song for an adolescent, no doubt.

On a altogether different vibe I can so clearly recall a friend of mine getting this album sitting down holding the gate fold cover and listening to this monster for the first time. I can recall the feeling and wonder it invoked it me. The reverberations never stopped. YMMV of course but I'd be interested to know if this hit anyone else like a ton of bricks back in the day. 

I can't listen to Aqualung without thinking of the cast party for our production of Dracula (that's me with snot running down my nose....)

1293157829_1983MedressedasAqualungforHalloween.jpg.af133a9986d1368350e16651e6ce6bf4.jpg

This one brings back memories of the summer of my senior year (high school). My brothers and I spent most of it sitting in a friend's garage, drinking his dad's beer and listening to tunes.

• Thank You 1

I will never understand how those guys got so good in such a short amount of time. I don't have early memories of Zep, but every time I hear them I think of my buddy Jim I worked with at a bust ass job in Detroit, shortly after graduating High School. He was all about Zepplin - every other band and every other form of music was judged in comparison to Zepplin. He knew everything about them, explained what was happening during the songs playing over a piece of shit radio in an old green Ford work van with 450,000 miles on it. Jimmy Page to him, was the greatest guitar play that ever lived...by far. After listening to Jim explain how Jimmy got his sound, used his cords, changed his tuning, all his guitar and amp combo choices and why - I'm still convinced to this day that Jimmy Page is definitely in the top 10 musicians that ever lived. And I have to admit...I'm not even a Zepplin 'fan'...I like them, but I'm not a Zep Head. I do not own the T-shirt.

This song scared the shit out of me as a kid - don't know why...

• Thank You 1

I really like this album. Gary Wright has always been fun. When it first came out it was not like the other stuff I was listening to at the time, yet it is still in my rotation today.

Here is something some of you may remember... or not. It was a little out of the mainstream but a great album, if a bit ahead of its time.

The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Edited by compwaco
  • Thank You 3

My first 'favorite song'. I got the album in Dec. '73. PF is still my favorite band. Never looked back...

Edited by kve777

Love Pink Floyd as well.  Their Wish You Were Here tribute to Syd Barrett is my Fave from them.

I don't recall what it was that drew me to this band, perhaps it was classical infused with rock, and everyone is so enamored with Dust in the Wind from them.

But not me, I always loved this tune of theirs most from a year earlier on Leftoverture in 76':

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
Typo correction

My younger brother bought "Leftoverture" when it came out. I remember listening to "Carry On Wayward Son" and trying to understand what the lyrics were all about. Once we got our fill of that song, I actually listened to the rest of the album. "What's On My Mind" is one of the better songs on the album. Crazy - I thought it sounded so good on a Sanyo receiver with a built-in turntable and cassette deck.

My older brother was more of a hard rocker. He heard us listening to the Kansas album and made a derogatory comment. Two days later he walked into my room and gave me this album. He insisted I play the 1st track right then. He is 10 years older than me and was my idol at the time. I threw it on the turntable and was instantly hooked. I still think this is their best work ever.