Daddyjt

Bands/singers you “should” like, but don’t.

I have fairly broad musical tastes - I’m up for most anything but rap and opera. That said, there are a few great, even legendary bands that I know I should like, but for whatever reason, I just don’t.  For example, The Rolling Stones - I’ve tried many times to get to where I like them, but I just can’t get there. I have respect for all that they have accomplished, but outside of 3 or 4 songs, I just don’t like their music. 

Anyone else have a similar experience with a group or singer?

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

25 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

I have fairly broad musical tastes - I’m up for most anything but rap and opera. That said, there are a few great, even legendary bands that I know I should like, but for whatever reason, I just don’t.  For example, The Rolling Stones - I’ve tried many times to get to where I like them, but I just can’t get there. I have respect for all that they have accomplished, but outside of 3 or 4 songs, I just don’t like their music. 

Anyone else have a similar experience with a group or singer?

Same here with the Stones. Back in the day, you were either a Stones fan or a Beatles fan and I was a Fab Four fan from  day one. But at least I could listen to a good number 

of the Stones classic songs, which brings me to this musical giant that every one on the planet seems to like and idolize.... except me.  I like exactly one of his songs, Like A Rolling Stone. So there you go - Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan. I guess it must be because I care more for a song's melody and less for the lyrics so Dylan's message in his songs didn't quite affect me. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Hmmm, I thought I was just me. :-k

I'm not a Stones fan, not a Dylan fan either.

There's one artist I've never cared for, save for one of his songs and the title escapes me.

Oddly, I chanced to see him in concert at his prime - mid '80s.

By far one of the best, most captivating performances I've seen. Phenomenal.

But I'm still not a fan of Bruce Springsteen.

I don't know why, his music just doesn't do it for me.

• Thank You 2

Wow, this is unreal - I have often wondered if I was the only one who feels like this.

I like a few songs by the Stones. Mostly, I don't enjoy their music.

Bob Dylan doesn't do a thing for me. Bruce Springsteen had a song or two that I like. Neil Young is in the same boat - I really don't understand how anyone can say he sings well.

Billy Joel lands in this group for me as well. Obviously has talent but his style just isn't my cup of tea. "Big Shot" is the only song by him I actually like, mostly for the guitar in the beginning.

This will probably get me tarred and feathered but I personally think The Beatles are the most over-rated band of all time. By far. I own ZERO of their work. I understand they were popular and that people were excited by them but I believe that if they would have come along 10 years later they would not have made such an impact on the people in America. The timing of their music was more important than the actual music itself, IMHO. I have several friends who really love them. I have tried to listen and like them. Ain't happening.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, B-Man said:

This will probably get me tarred and feathered but I personally think The Beatles are the most over-rated band of all time.

I am not a fan of Beatles either, despite being very wonderful musicians individually. McCartney and the Wings are another who I am no fan of. I prefer George Harrison's solo career over other Beatles'.

Traveling Wilburys, OTOH, are a very nice band to listen to. Wish they had more albums. 

@DaddyjtOpera can be fun, especially the comic variety. 

30 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Neil Young is in the same boat - I really don't understand how anyone can say he sings well.

I like CSNY, and CSN. Chicago is great, but Cetera, not that much. 

Edited by loner_t

Posted (edited)

This is weird, I agree with all of you, Stones, Dylan, Springsteen, Beatles, Niel Young. I've never been able to figure out how Dylan got a recording contract with that voice.

Also love the Traveling Wilburys.

My favorite right now is Steven Wilson.

Edited by peck555
spelling
  • That Rocks 1

I like the Stones, Beatles, Niel Young; but many of the artist listed I do not.  My dislike intensely includes, anything by Kansas, Boston, and absolutely, anything by Rush.  Many times I have bought an album for just one song by a particular artist and did not find anything else I care for.  Then will go back later and find  more cuts that I do like.  B-Man's comment on the Beatles timing is very interesting.  I do feel they may have opened the door for better(?) acts to follow them from England.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, niccolosito said:

Same here with the Stones. Back in the day, you were either a Stones fan or a Beatles fan and I was a Fab Four fan from  day one. But at least I could listen to a good number 

of the Stones classic songs, which brings me to this musical giant that every one on the planet seems to like and idolize.... except me.  I like exactly one of his songs, Like A Rolling Stone. So there you go - Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan. I guess it must be because I care more for a song's melody and less for the lyrics so Dylan's message in his songs didn't quite affect me. 

I could not agree more on Dylan - great songwriter and lyricist yes, but singer -not so much - in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Wow, this is unreal - I have often wondered if I was the only one who feels like this.

I like a few songs by the Stones. Mostly, I don't enjoy their music.

Bob Dylan doesn't do a thing for me. Bruce Springsteen had a song or two that I like. Neil Young is in the same boat - I really don't understand how anyone can say he sings well.

Billy Joel lands in this group for me as well. Obviously has talent but his style just isn't my cup of tea. "Big Shot" is the only song by him I actually like, mostly for the guitar in the beginning.

This will probably get me tarred and feathered but I personally think The Beatles are the most over-rated band of all time. By far. I own ZERO of their work. I understand they were popular and that people were excited by them but I believe that if they would have come along 10 years later they would not have made such an impact on the people in America. The timing of their music was more important than the actual music itself, IMHO. I have several friends who really love them. I have tried to listen and like them. Ain't happening.

I feel like I’ve tapped in to a “support group” of sorts 😉

Thanks for not making me walk the plank alone on the Beatles, Brian!  I actually own half a dozen of their albums, because I really wanted to “get it”. Hell, I even bought some Beatles vinyl, th8nking that might help. No dice, just don’t get it. Ironically, I REALLY enjoy McCartney’s solo work. 

1 hour ago, loner_t said:

I am not a fan of Beatles either, despite being very wonderful musicians individually. McCartney and the Wings are another who I am no fan of. I prefer George Harrison's solo career over other Beatles'.

Traveling Wilburys, OTOH, are a very nice band to listen to. Wish they had more albums. 

@DaddyjtOpera can be fun, especially the comic variety. 

I like CSNY, and CSN. Chicago is great, but Cetera, not that much. 

LT - I sincerely appreciate the immense talent involved in opera - the closest I can get to liking it is Sarah Brightman, and I absolutely LOVE her work.

53 minutes ago, MLB111 said:

I like the Stones, Beatles, Niel Young; but many of the artist listed I do not.  My dislike intensely includes, anything by Kansas, Boston, and absolutely, anything by Rush.  Many times I have bought an album for just one song by a particular artist and did not find anything else I care for.  Then will go back later and find  more cuts that I do like.  B-Man's comment on the Beatles timing is very interesting.  I do feel they may have opened the door for better(?) acts to follow them from England.

Hey now, I like Boston!  However, I agree on Rush - outside of about 8 songs, their stuff is little more than acceptable background music for me...

Artists such Springsteen, Dylan, and Neil Young and others, while vocals are lacking, are incredible song writers. There are songs I love and hate by all of them!  

Then as in the case of Springsteen, who admits he does not sing well, has an incredible band behind him, especially in live performances.

As with Dylan, again I look at him as a poet,  not a s a singer.  While not great vocally, inflections of emotions come through strongly at times, especially when he is live!

Barry

Neil Young is the musician that I have a hard time listening to. I have 2 Springsteen albums that rarely get played-it's been years. I have to agree about Bob Dylan. I love most of his songs, when someone else is performing them. Kristofferson is much the same for me too. 

Wow!  I have to admit I agree with you guys.  I was never a big fan of Bob Dylan, The Stones or Bruce Spingsteen.   Only thing of Neil Youngs I cared anything for was Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) with Crazy Horse, mostly because of that fab intro guitar riff.

One of those bands I really never quite got was called Oingo Boingo.  I just could never get to like them for some reason.  Have several of their CD's too, never ever play them.

Turbo

5 minutes ago, Turbo said:

One of those bands I really never quite got was called Oingo Boingo.  I just could never get to like them for some reason.  Have several of their CD's too, never ever play them.

The only time I liked Oingo Boingo was in Back To School. That said, Danny Elfman's music pedigree is outstanding. I don't know how many times I've seen "Music by Danny Elfman" in movie credits.

• Thank You 1

Wow, I'm on board with most of these. Young, Dylan, the Stones, Springsteen...I can listen to them but will not seek them out. However on the other hand I love, Boston, Kansas, Genesis, Van Halen and a lot of early Rush!

There are many reasons why one may (or may not) like a certain song/artist/genre but that's one of the great things about music - IT'S EXTREMELY PERSONAL!

For instance, I enjoy The Holy Modal Rounders, not because of the quality of their recordings (they suck at best), but because of the memories their music brings (I spent the summer of 1967 in San Francisco with my cousins). I enjoy (some) operas (The Barber of Seville comes to mind) because I worked for Illinois Opera for 7 seasons (2 on stage crew, 2 as lighting designer/director, 3 as technical director) and became familiar with the stories/lyrics, and good friends with many of the people I worked with.

I would also note that our musical tastes are not always etched in stone and can change over time. In my case I have developed a new found appreciation of avant-garde jazz from performers like Ornette Coleman, Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Sun Ra whom I had shunned in the 70's because they were different.

Just my 2 cents...

• Thank You 2

Strange, seems that there is a common thread here.  Young, Springsteen, Dylan, Stones; none of them are the best vocalists but the backing behind them either in music or lyrics are where they compensate.

Never really cared for Dylan, Springsteen, or Rush.  Listened to a couple of Young's albums and I really like the artistic aspects of his music now.  I've also grown to like the music of Rolling Stones more over time.  Still can't get into Rush. 

I think the Beatles suffered from poor mastering; everything early I've heard on vinyl is way too bright/harsh sounding.  Same seems true for The Mommas & The Poppas, way too bright.  Maybe their music was made to be listened to on a cheap 60's suitcase record player.  The Beatles remastered music on CD sounds a lot better to me.

• Thank You 1

U2, anyone? Apple released some years ago a U2 Edition iPod. As my wife's iPod had gone kaput the U2 Edition was a gift I loaded How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb in keeping with the theme. The iPod lasted longer than any clicking upon the U2 music. Some songs in their catalogue, okay; however an entire recording front-to-back has not happened.

7 hours ago, MLB111 said:

absolutely, anything by Rush. 

Can I/May I recommend Red Barchetta?

1 hour ago, zumbini said:

I enjoy (some) operas (The Barber of Seville comes to mind)

Mozart is so much fun in his Operas.

20 minutes ago, dcl said:

U2, anyone?

This is nice, DCL, don't you think so? 

9 hours ago, B-Man said:

Billy Joel lands in this group for me as well.

How about this one B-Man?

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

WXPN was playing a bunch of Stones tunes just yesterday. Most of their work is just dreck. Horrible. I like Angie and a few others, but only about 1% of their total run. No doubt a Stones concert is a great experience, but they just churned out albums to promote one or two songs. Same with the Beatles. 

I was just thinking a few weeks back of bands we just don't need. For instance, there is Journey and REO Speedwagon. Why? Either would do, no one needs both. I say dump REO Speedwagon. Michael Jackson and Prince? Dump MJ. Prince had real skills. Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Airplane? Give me more Mac, either Peter Green era or Buckingham-Nicks. 

Beatles-Stones? I'd have to go with the Beatles. Mostly because of Revolver and the White Album...

On the other hand, Pink Floyd and Steely Dan...😀😀😀

Edited by kve777
  • That Rocks 1

I have to agree with people here.  There are a lot of classic acts that I really can't handle, like many of you, the Stones, and Springsteen do not work for me.  Dylan is a poet - I have tremendous respect for him picking up the electric guitar at a folk festival, and he can write music that is incredible, but please take the microphone away from him. Some others I see people not liking, are ones that I really do (Kansas, Rush, and Neil Young is a real hit or miss for me), but I can totally see how many of you would put them into the "doesn't cut it" category.   PECK555, you need to change your name to imPECKable555 - great taste by my standards.

My tastes are pretty wide ranging though I can't handle rap, most classic opera (rock opera's are okay), and country (way, way too much from my parents in my youth - slide steel guitar is like fingers on a chalkboard to me, now).   But if those are your thing, crank them up!!!

For what it's worth, it's really good to know that I'm in good (great?) company in that I don't care for some of the "everybody loves them" bands or singers.

It just shows how personal musical tastes are.   :-)

6 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

I'm not that fond of the Doors, although I think they were extremely talented.

Tool is another tremendous band that I never liked very much, yet appreciate their creativity.

Banned! For not liking Tool. 

Wrong thread?😀

• Haha 4

On 6/29/2018 at 7:14 PM, kve777 said:

Banned! For not liking Tool. 

Wrong thread?😀

Okay...I did at one time claim that Lateralus was one if the greatest rock songs ever recorded. But that is the only song of theirs I will listen to without prejudice. I turn my system up to 11 at the end every time I listen to it...

EPIC!

Absofuckinglutely...EPIC!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2018 at 7:22 PM, Nahash5150 said:

Okay...I did at one time claim that Lateralus was one if the greatest rock songs ever recorded. But that is the only song of theirs I will listen to without prejudice. I turn my system up to 11 at the end every time I listen to it...

EPIC!

Absofuckinglutely...EPIC!

Ban lifted.

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

I'll probably get banned for this one because she's been included on a Carverfest Disk and is often featured on Hi-Res websites like HD Tracks.  So take a deep breath and brace yourself.  The singer I should like but don't is...Alison Krauss.  At times I can tolerate her and other times I find her absolutely grating - to the point where I can't skip the song quick enough.  Don't know what it is about her, but her voice does not please me.  

Let me know when I'm unbanned.

Edited by PhilDent