Daddyjt

Bands/singers you “should” like, but don’t.

It's amazing - I sit here, reading everyone's opinions, amazed at myself. I am truly a dumbass sometimes. (Some may argue all the time...)

To have really thought that myself and my brothers are the only folks who think the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc. are just not that good. Really. I have assumed for many years that EVERYONE at least liked the Beatles a bit, most seem to love them. I rarely stated that opinion because I had been thoroughly trashed by others in the past for such blasphemy. I have friends who would buy every damn remaster CD they could find, hoping that "this one" will finally have the "great sound" they are so sure must exist for their catalog.

For me, Ozzy is an example of a great performer, writer, etc. that has a voice that is arguably not musical at all, yet somehow fit the Black Sabbath band like a glove. The same goes for AC/DC - Brian Johnson did a good job carrying the sound of the band forward, but he is no Bon Scott.

Dom made a good point earlier - music IS personal. I love Boston, Journey, Kansas, Rush, Whitesnake, REO, Black Sabbath, Molly Hatchet, The Allman Brothers, Hank Williams Jr., The Outlaws, AC/DC, etc. Not because they are particularly awesome singers, writers, etc. but because every one of those bands released songs that imprinted themselves in my mind. When I hear "Slide It In" I am instantly transported back into my 1968 Camaro. It had a bad-ass Alpine cassette deck, driving a Sanyo 50 WPC amp running to 2 Radio Shack 2 Way Crossovers, driving a pair of Emminence 10" woofers in the 3/4" thick plywood rear deck and a pair of Kenwood 6 1/2" co-axials in the front doors. All my friends were running the classic "500 Watt" graphic EQs into Jensen tri-axials, or something similar. I lived in Tampa at the time (a big city compared to my tiny hometown) so I was able to find such gear. I assembled the stereo and tweaked it, getting it "just right". When I drove back home that 1st weekend with the stereo, all of my friends were flabbergasted at how my "little" 50 WPC amp could easily outperform their "500 watt" graphic EQ systems. Some of them had two or three of those things wired in their cars. They did get loud, but did not really sound good.

I used to think I was a sort of music freak because of the breadth of my likes and tastes. A single song that hits me right by an artist I would never give a 2nd thought to can easily cause their CD to end up in my collection. Outside of a single Usher CD, I own no rap. I do own opera, classical, jazz, heavy metal, classic rock, country, easy listening, pop rock, etc.

Music is my single greatest joy in life, outside of those family and friends that I love. Nothing comes close. It has cost me 10's of thousands of dollars during my life. I don't regret spending a single cent of it.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 3

12 hours ago, PhilDent said:

The singer I should like but don't is...Alison Krauss. 

Heard this one in@treitz3 cabin at CF2017. See if you like the story (and AK any better)...

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

I think this is/was a fun exercise.  As some of the erudite members have pointed out, music is a personal thing.  We share many likes and dislikes.  I really like AC/DC; Stones, and many others.  However, not everything they have done or will do.  I do not own an entire library of any one artist or groups music.  The closest I have come to that is the original Fleetwood Mac.  I have found very little, if anything they did, I do not like. 

• Thank You 3

2 hours ago, MLB111 said:

I think this is/was a fun exercise.  As some of the erudite members have pointed out, music is a personal thing.  We share many likes and dislikes.  I really like AC/DC; Stones, and many others.  However, not everything they have done or will do.  I do not own an entire library of any one artist or groups music.  The closest I have come to that is the original Fleetwood Mac.  I have found very little, if anything they did, I do not like. 

I could not agree more on Fleetwood Mac... textbook chemistry (musically, certainly NOT personally!), insane talent, and great songwriting. Quite possibly my all-time favorite band. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

I'm surprised that no one added Jimi Hendrix to this list. I have quite a few friends locally that admire what Hendrix did with, and where he took psychedelic guitar, they simply cannot listen to Hendrix more than a couple of minutes or so. 

On 6/28/2018 at 11:52 PM, Daddyjt said:

I have fairly broad musical tastes - I’m up for most anything but rap and opera...

Well, I am certainly in agreement with this opinion.  But hey, I like the Stones, although my favorites tend to be the guitar greats.  So all of you that don’t like Hendrix should be taken out behind the barn and given a thorough thrashing!

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

I'm just going to say this and then hide for cover....  The Grateful Dead!  I guess if you're at a concert, stoned and on acid, they sound good 😕

• Thank You 3

On 6/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, Sk1Bum said:

I'm surprised that no one added Jimi Hendrix to this list. I have quite a few friends locally that admire what Hendrix did with, and where he took psychedelic guitar, they simply cannot listen to Hendrix more than a couple of minutes or so. 

@Sk1Bum

Ouch, I still find myself listening to Hendrix' "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower" I love some of his stuff.  But I agree it's an acquired taste I suppose.  Bu then again I still also listen to The Doors.  I have  fairly vast musical tastes too as I can go from Hendrix to Jesse Cook and on to Vivaldi Blue Danube and Four Seasons...

• Thank You 1

+1 on the grateful dead. I used to joke that I would rather listen to a disco record skipping backward than listen to them.  I liken it to reggae music. I guess I've just never been high enough to appreciate it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Turbo said:

@Sk1Bum

Ouch, I still find myself listening to Hendrix' "Hey Joe" and "All Along the Watchtower" I love some of his stuff.  But I agree it's an acquired taste I suppose.  Bu then again I still also listen to The Doors.  I have  fairly vast musical tastes too as I can go from Hendrix to Jesse Cook and on to Vivaldi Blue Danube and Four Seasons...

Personally, I love Jimi Hendrix. 

From a Jimi Hendrix karma thread:

On 3/10/2018 at 2:52 AM, Sk1Bum said:

Jimi Hendrix single handedly changed my music tastes from bubble gum to psychedelic acid blues rock. I didn't even know what Purple Haze was, but I knew I loved it. Fire, All Along The Watchtower, Hey Joe, Purple Haze, Red House, The Wind Cries Mary, Third Stone From The Sun..."and to you I will put an end. May you never hear surf music again." I was a changed teen. I still have, and regularly play, Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland, and Rainbow Bridge.

I have a few friends locally with great systems, and I'm the only Hendrix fan of all of us. That was the basis of my surprise that his name didn't come up in the conversation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll put on Electric Ladyland, and I think I'll follow it up with a Dead fest. :D

IBoGMF

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting topic which requires more thought. Since thinking is not my strong point I'll just vomit out my answer.

A lot of the responses ring true with me - never a big fan of the Stones, Springteen or Billy Joel. U2 I just find mostly musically boring although they have some truly inspirational songs, their guitarist "The Edge" is just a snooze - same basic rhythm guitar with a digital delay - I honestly think the average decent amateur guitarist could master that style and technique of playing in a few months.  I guess I should like them all more, particularly Springsteen who I have a lot of respect for - he gives it his all in long concerts and keeps his ticket prices down - he's not a greedy bastard at least.

The band Yes, come to mind. Althought they have increadible musicianship and arrangements the twee lyrics and delivery just always rubbed me the wrong way on a lot of their songs. There are exceptions but man some of those songes are just heaps of flowery word-salad that hide abject vacuity. No offense, just my take. I still love the playing, production and arrangements.

Edited by WJStephens
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Personally, I love Jimi Hendrix. 

From a Jimi Hendrix karma thread:

I have a few friends locally with great systems, and I'm the only Hendrix fan of all of us. That was the basis of my surprise that his name didn't come up in the conversation.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll put on Electric Ladyland, and I think I'll follow it up with a Dead fest. :D

IBoGMF

Ah cool! 

Now that's more like it.  Electric Ladyland sounds good, think I'll stream it in from the NAS.

Turbo

• Thank You 1

I saw Springsteen for the first time at Madison in 1980... three and half hours and the environment was electrifying. Being 18 at the time with a good buzz on....

Flash forward 15 years... older, sober ... not so much.

There are plenty of artists that have ruined it for me.... they became POLITICAL at their concerts. James Taylor did that at Red Rocks... the crowd booed him.

I truly believe he was shocked by the crowds reaction. I took a chance and saw him again four years later... not one peep of political garbage. Full redemption.

Actors do the same crap... De Niro - arguably a best actor of our time - is dead to me... a total POS. (FYI - He started his bs back when GW was in office.)

I PAY to see you sing or act .... save your opinions for another medium!

P.S. I was never a fan of Katy Perry's music but now she is ugly to me.

• Thank You 3

In an episode of MASH, Charles Emerson Winchester III reflects:

"I will be head of Thoracic Surgery at Boston Mercy Hospital, so my life will go on pretty much as I expected—with one exception. For me, music has always been a refuge from this miserable experience... now it will always be a reminder."

I lived in Selma, AL for a couple years in the mid '80's where my aviation career took flight (pun intended).

Since then, and to this day, I cannot listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Thank You 2

I have two or three Hendrix cds.  I think I listened and tried to agree that he was the greatest guitar player.  Never happened for me.  He came along with such greats as Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, and the great Magic Sam.   Always did like his rendition of "All Along The Watch Tower"; a Dillon written ditty.

Posted (edited)

YEP....

political,

U2, use to like them. not now.

pearljam,  these dill weeds, shut the HELL UP!!!!....

As for not liking so much, that would be the Beatles....

She loves you bllaaa, bllaa blaaa,

as solo artist I like them much more

Edited by mbskeam
cantz spellz
  • Thank You 2

The talk of artists with a political bent, reminded me that I find the Beatles okayish, McCartney, especially with Wings very enjoyable, Harrison, also, but I have never cared for Lennon on his own.  It isn't the political side, I just don't enjoy his solo music.

8 hours ago, itchitch said:

I saw Springsteen for the first time at Madison in 1980... three and half hours and the environment was electrifying. Being 18 at the time with a good buzz on....

Flash forward 15 years... older, sober ... not so much.

There are plenty of artists that have ruined it for me.... they became POLITICAL at their concerts. James Taylor did that at Red Rocks... the crowd booed him.

I truly believe he was shocked by the crowds reaction. I took a chance and saw him again four years later... not one peep of political garbage. Full redemption.

Actors do the same crap... De Niro - arguably a best actor of our time - is dead to me... a total POS. (FYI - He started his bs back when GW was in office.)

I PAY to see you sing or act .... save your opinions for another medium!

P.S. I was never a fan of Katy Perry's music but now she is ugly to me.

I liked this post so much, that a “thumbs up” wasn’t enough - I could not agree more.  SO disappointed in Bobby Deniro.

6 hours ago, mbskeam said:

YEP....

political,

U2, use to like them. not now.

pearljam,  these dill weeds, shut the HELL UP!!!!....

As for not liking so much, that would be the Beatles....

She loves you bllaaa, bllaa blaaa,

as solo artist I like them much more

Every time someone mentions “the Edge” in a conversation about greatest guitar players, it makes me want to puke coat hangers.

• Thank You 3

Here's a twist on this theme ... albums, where you might like the group, but not the album everyone loves.  

This is likely going to get my account deleted, but I'm not known for playing it safe, so here goes.

I love Pink Floyd, BUT I really don't care for Dark Side of the Moon.  Sorry!  The Wall doesn't do it for me either.  But I could listen to Animals on repeat all day long.

There, I said it.  Been nice knowing you folks.  Now where did I put my asbestos suit.

• Thank You 2

15 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Here's a twist on this theme ... albums, where you might like the group, but not the album everyone loves.  

This is likely going to get my account deleted, but I'm not known for playing it safe, so here goes.

I love Pink Floyd, BUT I really don't care for Dark Side of the Moon.  Sorry!  The Wall doesn't do it for me either.  But I could listen to Animals on repeat all day long.

There, I said it.  Been nice knowing you folks.  Now where did I put my asbestos suit.

Dude - you read my mind!  DSOTM has been SO overplayed, and it’s far from PF’s best work. I much prefer Wish You Were Here or Division Bell. 

• That Rocks 1

10 hours ago, itchitch said:

I.. they became POLITICAL at their concerts. James Taylor did that at Red Rocks... the crowd booed him.

I truly believe he was shocked by the crowds reaction. ...

I saw the same thing happen here to Don Henley. He made a disparaging remark about G-Dub in an area that votes about 3-1 Republican for the last uhmm, forever.  After the booing subsided, he made a joke about knowing the local political climate before he put his foot in his mouth.  He then made another joke about how hard it is to sing with a foot in your mouth. Crowd cheered, he played, drama over.

1 hour ago, Daddyjt said:

Dude - you read my mind!  DSOTM has been SO overplayed, and it’s far from PF’s best work. I much prefer Wish You Were Here or Division Bell. 

Totally agree on Wish you were here.  My absolute favorite pink Floyd album. 

I am lukewarm on Dark Side of the Moon.  I've avoided admitting that in order to avoid the vitriolic hate of those who consider it the pinnacle of music.  I even have the multi-channel and have listened to it beginning to end on multiple occasions in an attempt to "get it", but it just hasn't happened.  For whatever reason, it just doesn't speak to me.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, B-Man said:

To be unbanned, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with.... a HERRING !!!!

I will do no such thing.  It can't be done.  But I can get you a shrubbery that looks nice and is not too expensive.  I can even get you another shrubbery and place it here beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get the two-level effect with a little path running down the middle.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

My love for DSOTM is a direct result of seeing them twice during their 1972 US tour, in Chicago 2 days before I enlisted, with my brothers and several close friends, and in LA with my cousins that September, a month after I was assigned to the Nevada Test Site. They toured with an immense sound system that was dialed in so you could hear everything from the softest whisper to the loudest crescendo. Those were the best live sound events I'd heard up to that point. I don't listen to the album very often these days, but when I do it brings back lots of great memories.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

2 hours ago, zumbini said:

My love for DSOTM is a direct result of seeing them twice during their 1972 US tour, in Chicago 2 days before I enlisted, with my brothers and several close friends, and in LA with my cousins that September, a month after I was assigned to the Nevada Test Site. They toured with an immense sound system that was dialed in so you could hear everything from the softest whisper to the loudest crescendo. Those were the best live sound events I'd heard up to that point. I don't listen to the album very often these days, but when I do it brings back lots of great memories.

What a great example of life being punctuated by music - cool story Dom, thanks for sharing!

• Thank You 1