danowood

Society woes

No offense to those that listen to this type of music but I didn't realize there were so many in our society that catered to this kind of crapola and call it music.  And to top it off consider it more popular than the Beatles.  No wonder there is such a divide in our society and politics. (I know, a prohibited word on this site) so please don't make it about politics) 

https://www.thewrap.com/drake-scores-7-songs-on-billboard-top-10-besting-beatles-record/

• Thank You 1

What are we supposed to do? Listen to old music all the time? lol

• Haha 2

Of course we enjoy new music :)  but to me that isn't music.  Again, to each their own :) 

• Thank You 1

Though I have never heard this 'artist' I doubt that I would be any more impressed by his talent than of the Beatle's "I want to hold your hand",  "Help", and a few others that the band had to offer in their earlier days. Yet, those songs along with many others made the top ten, or at least 'American Bandstand'... "Um, well, it's got a good beat, and I like to dance to it" seemed to be all that was needed to make the grade. I have to agree that much that I turn off listening to on the radio or otherwise, can't be counted seriously as music to begin with. It reminds me that we are probably not the average American listener either.

• Thank You 2

Click.....how its done now.

Way different process back in early 60s

I like a lot of the new music.....not Drake and the beibs though......see how i stuck those Canadians in there?

Theres way better offerings from new artists than this crap.

I think its because recorded music was a badge of honour back then......discovery, contract, recording, air play, etc.

Now its utube hits and a $100 processor, crap overload.....Click.....how its done now...... 

• Thank You 3

It’s important to realize that the music industry is first and foremost a business, and secondly an artistic endeavor. 

Once you reconcile that in your mind, the current musical trends are much easier to understand.

424652AB-3604-47B7-9BE8-F102AAB39099.jpeg

• Thank You 2
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, PDR said:

I like lot of the new music.....not Drake and the beibs though......see how i stuck those Canadians in there?

Theres way better offerings from new artists than this crap.

Sadly, after decades of great talent, it appears we've either exhausted the talent Gene pool totally, or we allowed in too much influence from South of the border.  😉

Consider them a gift - but there is a strict no return policy!  😁

• Thank You 1

Crap music is nothing new...how soon we forget what the 60's were like to the Greatest Generation.

Many of the same critical language used here was used by my grandfather when listening to oldies my dad played on 45's back in the 80's.

And I'm sure that if I wasn't raised on 'oldies' I would have grown up laughing at all that 'old crap' that no one listened to anymore.

Music is not constrained - it means a lot of different things to many kinds of people. Without proper context, it doesnt make any sense sometimes.

That doesn't always mean it's crap - sometimes we legitimately just don't understand it.

Personally, I listen to many kinds of music. If I ever hear something I don't like, I usually resort to saying, 'sorry, I don't comprehend that'. I almost never resort to calling something crap...unless it's country music.  LOL

• Thank You 3

Drake isn't all 'that' bad... I am forced to listen to him in the car with the kids.

I don't mind Post Malone - Logic ........

I will say that Spotify (and others) have helped my teenagers broaden their musical tastes... more so than our age group when we were teens (I'm 56.)

I come home to stereo wars in our house ( daughter has a TFM-35 and some KEFs with a sub - son has 500t mii and a CTSeven with some Polks)

I hear Zepplin - YES - Supertramp -  Sinatra - Gerry Rafferty - Cat Stevens - Fats Domino along with the music of their generation.

When my son saw Joe Walsh play guitar live in Denver last week.. he was amazed.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

To be totally honest, I never even heard of Drake and I'm a musician with a vast music collection that would take me 20 years to listen to if I went at it 8 hours a day. I guess I'm out of it and I'm gonna stay heck out of it... 👴

Okay then, here's some Drake for you. Smooth R&B.

I bet he's heard of Marvin Gay...

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

^^^

Well I guess I'm not missing much. It's not crap but it sounds like typical commercial over-produced pop that could have been produced at any time over the last 20 years. Also sounds like heavy use of auto-tune was employed. Nothing distinctive or original at all to these ears. No discernible indication of musical talent, mediocre at best. Sorry if that offends anyone, just my opinion and I prefer to give you the straight poop. Also I'm a crotchety old bastard... now can I have my 3 minutes and 47 seconds back?

P.S. Personally I wouldn't let Marvin Gaye piss in Drake's cornflakes.

Edited by WJStephens
  • Thank You 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

^^^

Well I guess I'm not missing much. It's not crap but it sounds like typical commercial over-produced pop that could have been produced at any time over the last 20 years. Also sounds like heavy use of auto-tune was employed. Nothing distinctive or original at all to these ears. No discernible indication of musical talent, mediocre at best. Sorry if that offends anyone, just my opinion and I prefer to give you the straight poop. Also I'm a crotchety old bastard... now can I have my 3 minutes and 47 seconds back?

P.S. Personally I wouldn't let Marvin Gaye piss in Drake's cornflakes.

Ah, well that is to be expected since it is well known the human brain becomes fossilized after a certain age and can no longer make new neural networks adequate enough to appreciate new experiences. Everything is compared to a well visited and 'fossilized' memory of past experiences.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

Ah, well that is to be expected since it is well known the human brain becomes fossilized after a certain age and can no longer make new neural networks adequate enough to appreciate new experiences. Everything is compared to a well visited and 'fossilized' memory of past experiences.

That may very well be the case, it may be I am unable to make a self-assessment due to said fossilization. However as a musician I try to challenge myself every day - I'm still learning different modal systems as well as the Indian system of talas and ragas and the 72 South Indian scales, modern composition theory etc. and I have to report to you that I can find nothing new in that track. Having said that, I still can admire a well crafted pop ditty. It's pleasant enough and if people enjoy it that's fine with me. To each his own my friend!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

2 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

That may very well be the case, it may be I am unable to make a self-assessment due to said fossilization. However as a musician I try to challenge myself every day - I'm still learning different modal systems as well as the Indian system of talas and ragas and the 72 South Indian scales, modern composition theory etc. and I have to report to you that I can find nothing new in that track. Having said that, I still can admire a well crafted pop ditty. It's pleasant enough and if people enjoy it that's fine with me. To each his own my friend!

Alright then super man - post a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream that measures up to your sophistication. :D

9 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

...post a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream...

:|::|:🤣

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

Alright then super man - post a highly distinguished musical masterpiece composed and performed in the last 3 years that has hit the mainstream that measures up to your sophistication. :D

I'm far from a super man and claim no special talent other than writing a few decent songs and pieces that will never see the light of day. I certainly don't mean to come of like a snot, I'm just being honest so sorry if I do! I is what I am man. 😜 When I am ignorant I keep my mouth shut and simply read what you engineering geniuses write about the exigencies of electronics diagnosis, repair and building.

That is quite a challenge partly because almost by definition anything masterful tends to influence the mainstream and not be part of it. There are exceptions like the Beatles, Parker/Coltrane/Miles and great composers like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky who were all quite revolutionary in their day on different levels. Let me think about it.

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, WJStephens said:

I'm far from a super man and claim no special talent other than writing a few decent songs and pieces that will never see the light of day. I certainly don't mean to come of like a snot, I'm just being honest so sorry if I do! I is what I am man. 😜 When I am ignorant I keep my mouth shut and simply read what you engineering geniuses write about the exigencies of electronics diagnosis, repair and building.

That is quite a challenge partly because almost by definition anything masterful tends to influence the mainstream and not be part of it. There are exceptions like the Beatles, Parker/Coltrane/Miles and great composers like Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Stravinsky who were all quite revolutionary in their day on different levels. Let me think about it.

Well, no matter what happens...

Just be cool man. We mean no harm.

• Thank You 1

Hey UncleMeat - if Zappa were still alive he might have had the chops to pull off a mainstream masterpiece! 

Just now, Nahash5150 said:

Well, no matter what happens...

Just be cool man. We mean no harm.

Of course, all in good fun. I ain't no snowflake, but you've given me something to think about.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

9 minutes ago, UncleMeat said:

TOTAL CRAP!

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, WJStephens said:

Hey UncleMeat - if Zappa were still alive he might have had the chops to pull off a mainstream masterpiece! 

His work was and still is ahead of it's time.  If you went into the Zappa vaults I'm sure you could come up with several 'new release' masterpieces, no problem.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, UncleMeat said:

His work was and still is ahead of it's time.  If you went into the Zappa vaults I'm sure you could come up with several 'new release' masterpieces, no problem.

I agree, although still popular and revered I think his musical genius is not widely appreciated. He was moving in an interesting and more 'serious' compositional direction in his last years. What a shame for those who loved him and the world at large that we will never see what he would have created...

Edited by WJStephens
  • That Rocks 1

24 minutes ago, UncleMeat said:

Not a pop music fan either, but I gotta say that I enjoyed the visual and aural presentation. My son was heavily into the electronic sampling and looping genre a few years ago and there is something, although not my glass of beer, that is pleasing about some of this techno-style- Disco's newest incarnation. Thanks Meat - appreciated.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1