Quick Intro

Hey everyone...I recently stumbled on this forum during a search for a new amp. I'm interested in setting up a new 2-channel music system and want a Carver to be the foundation. I'm a younger guy, but my father is big on Carvers which is where I got my exposure. After looking at all the different models, I'm set on a M-500t (first choice) or a TFM-42...yes the (cool!) looks are playing a part in it.  I've been making the rounds on eBay, Audiogon & Reverb but haven't come up with a nice deal yet.

If anyone has any leads, I'd certainly appreciate it. There seems to be a good wealth of knowledge here so I plan on sticking around.

• Thank You 6

Welcome to the site prISM !!!!

You will find a wealth of knowledge on this site. Great people too. 

Its been unusually slow the past few months around here. Don’t get frustrated if you don’t see many responses. 

Many of the members have “extra” equipment and may be able to satisfy your need for a Carver foundation. 

Most of this vintage gear will have to be refreshed.... the internals need new capacitors etc. The technicians here do many types of modifications as well. 

What speakers are you thinking about driving?

Where are you from?

Itch

Welcome to the site PrISM! You’re in the right place for advice and assistance.

And a primary source of OCCD (obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder)

Those are some fine choices for a 2 channel setup for sure.

There have been e few m500t’s sold here recently. Usually amps sold and bought here have been completely refreshed, tested and calibrated. 

Dont forget your local (or distant) craigslist sites. I’ve made a few purchases through CL. You can usually audition pieces this way which can be of benefit. 

What other gear do you have or are planning to acquire? We all love pics of all audio gear, not just Carver.

Pull up a chair and stick around a while, and enjoy the music!

• Thank You 1

Howdy@PrISMand welcome to the forum. Thanks for the intro. It's great to have you on board.

Note that certain amps pair better with certain speakers, so it's best to audition them together if possible.

Also note that the TFM-42 and it's siblings (TFM-4.0, TFM-45) are better at driving difficult loads than the M-500t.

Thanks for the welcome fellas. Whichever I wind up with I'd send it straight to either Hi Tech Audio or have the MKII mod done (which I didn't know was done here before I joined), unless I actually find one available that's already been gone through. I also saw a guy on eBay doing a "Gold Upgrade" but haven't found a lot of info on him.

My intent is two separate 2-channel systems; building a desktop one now and a system for a bigger room in the future. On the desk I'm planning on running a pair of active monitors (Adam A5X, HEDD Type 05, Dynaudio LYD 5 & Focal Shape 50 are on my short list) and an Oppo Sonica DAC I recently picked up.

The Carver will be at the heart of the bigger system (probably with a sibling). Even though it's backwards I don't know how often they show up for sale so I'm starting that search now. This way I'm not pressed and can wait for one in nice condition and can have it sent in for a little TLC.

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the site PriSM,  =D=   Enjoy your stay, make yourself at home.... Full of great members, Highly Talented Techs also.  ~^

One day you will wake up and realize, you've stumbled into......  |-|  The Black Hole of Audio   |-|

01-welcome.gif.5d3fcebe1120e8986d7d5d271122a68b.gif

• That Rocks 1

Welcome @PrISM - as others here have suggested, this site is great, but it creates an addiction to Carver gear that is quite untreatable (aside from feeding the addiction, of course).  I was recently the happy, naive owner of a COUPLE.  It has been joined in my short time here by a C1 preamp and a M1.0t Poweramp, both of which are headed for upgrades.  Beware, but enjoy!

Hello PrISM and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;)  As others have told you, there is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

When you get the chance, upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.6e3975efe4382e14498f60643cb892cd.gif

Welcome. I'm pretty new myself, but as stated this is an exceptional group of folks here in terms of knowledge and generousity.

I don't know about the others but I have heard the Focal Shape 50's and I'm a Focal fan, they sound great and they are a popular choice for small "close field" studio monitors used by people who mix music and need accurate/transparent sound - BTW those are powered speakers so I'm not sure you would need or could use the Carver...

Edited by WJStephens

21 hours ago, Blues Pwr said:

Welcome to the site, glad to have you.

What types of music and bands or artists do you enjoy listening to ? 

I really can enjoy many different types of music; 80s, 90s alternative/grunge, hip-hop & trance are my top choices though.

10 hours ago, WJStephens said:

Welcome. I'm pretty new myself, but as stated this is an exceptional group of folks here in terms of knowledge and generousity.

I don't know about the others but I have heard the Focal Shape 50's and I'm a Focal fan, they sound great and they are a popular choice for small "close field" studio monitors used by people who mix music and need accurate/transparent sound - BTW those are powered speakers so I'm not sure you would need or could use the Carver...

Yeah I'm planning on the active monitors being part of a desk system, while the Carver gear is for a different setup.

1 hour ago, PrISM said:

I really can enjoy many different types of music; 80s, 90s alternative/grunge, hip-hop & trance are my top choices though.

Yeah I'm planning on the active monitors being part of a desk system, while the Carver gear is for a different setup.

In that case you might also want to consider the Audio Engine HD-6 as well. I have a smaller pair for my desktop system and for the size and the $ they are excellent IMO. It's all up to what sounds best to you of course.

Edited by WJStephens
  • Thank You 1

14 hours ago, WJStephens said:

In that case you might also want to consider the Audio Engine HD-6 as well. I have a smaller pair for my desktop system and for the size and the $ they are excellent IMO. It's all up to what sounds best to you of course.

Yeah I considered the HD-6s early on, but found a couple of so-so reviews on them and took them out of consideration. I know you need to take reviews with a grain of salt, but you have to start with something to narrow the huge field down. How do you like them?

Welcome Prism!

i sent a PM!

Do I detect a Pink Floyd reference in your handle?  If your close enough I have gear I will not ship for sale,  like a m-500t mkii .

Have a good day browsing the site!

as always enjoy the music!

barry

2 hours ago, BarryG said:

Do I detect a Pink Floyd reference in your handle?

Nah...I think we were learning about prisms in high school physics class way back when I came up with this. Just kept it since then because I liked it.