A surprising improvement--my LAN.

Sk1Bum

I've mentioned a few times how pleased I am with my oppo 105 as a CD/SACD/network player, and I've been playing more flac files as a result. I also rip all CD/SACD to flac files, and I store them on a DNLA network drive. I have the occasional pause, but I always attributed it to me giving priority to the Fire TV units. My router is a Linksys EA-7500, and it was setup to automatically grab firmware updates. I checked earlier this week, and there's been an update available since January of this year, and the router did not pick it up. I downloaded and updated manually, and I've not had any drops or the occasional DNS issues that had been occurring with increasing frequency.  The result is a pleasant surprise in network quality. File transfer throughput increased from around 20-22 mb/s to 27-29 mb/s. (megabyte, not megabit). I hope it's sticky. =)

So, if you have a Linksys router, I suggest manually checking for firmware upgrades at least quarterly.

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I've not had any drops or the occasional DNS issues that had been occurring with increasing frequency. 

Did you try using IP addresses to point to your DLNA servers?

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, loner_t said:

Did you try using IP addresses to point to your DLNA servers?

Yes. Static IPs was one of the first things I tried. Improvement came with the firmware update.

17 minutes ago, loner_t said:

Do you have a single flat LAN on your home network?

Single flat is a term that I've never heard used before.  My network topology is: Cable modem->router->various components both wired and wireless;

router->bridge->HT(pre and oppo 103D) The pre doesn't have wireless capability, and I bought the oppo 103d without the wireless dongle. Both are connected via cat5 cable to the bridge.

The router handled IPs via DHCP until the pauses and DNS issues started popping up. I then reassigned static IPs to several pieces, but it didn't help. 

The firmware update appears to have fixed the issue.

• Thank You 1

We've got Comcast's latest and greatest for Home use, I just ran a couple of those Ookla tests. 

Download was 942 Mbps, Upload was 41.8 Mbps. It was funny to watch the needle get buried at 500 almost immediately.

• Thank You 3