Sk1Bum

Is this a good price for Maggies?

No I'd say it's not a very good deal.  I'd be closer to $600 with everything working properly.  He's asking for ~$1000 (once repaired) and you have to install the replacement tweeter.  Also, if one tweeter has failed; the second one might not be far behind...

• Thank You 2

Call Magnepan and ask. It might be feasible to have the seller ship directly to the factory for refurbishment if the price is right. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

It used to be $100 and a core exchange!  Plus shipping 2 ways!

im with UM 600 if everything is working, with tweeter out 500 max!

offer him $400- $450 since he has a best offer option!  Explain that the ribbon cost to replace is about $200 if you include labor!

Good luck

bg

I sent my iiia’s to magnepan and it was about 600 to strip and rewire and new ribbons and new socks!   That’s not including trucking fees!

i still regret trading them off!  To this day my favorite speakers!  When you have a sub to boost!

bg

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 1

Overpriced, and DIY repairs on Maggies is asking for trouble.  I'd wait to find a set in working condition you can demo.

I love maggies, but they dont do well with my kind of music because they have room filling bass, but it lacks visceral kicks you associate with bass in many genre's (metal, rock, rap, hip-hop).  

So if you havent heard em before, they are worth demoing at a dealer with your kind of music to make sure they will work right.

I'm not a total purist, so I'd just add subs, but I dont have the room they need to sound right (they need a decent amount of space from the back and side walls).  However they are super easy to move out and then back lol

• Thank You 1

I agree with the other comments,  and I have saved searches for Maggies all the time on onecraigs and ebay.

Here's one that's a better deal. If I was in the market for MG2.7QR's I'd look at this one instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-MG-2-7QR-pair-only-one-owner-450/173497565856

I have never heard 2.7's. They are not true ribbon tweeters, and I know I prefer the true ribbons over the quasi-ribbons.

That's why I have MG2.5R's and MGIIIa's, and I want to sell my MG1.6QR's.

However, Fluidcool has 2.7's and he loves them.

• Thank You 1

Just a cautionary note; sometimes a Maggie with failed ribbons doesn't sound horrible.  The crossover slopes are shallow so the M/R can cover up for the lack of a tweeter making sound.  You have to listen to them yourself to determine if they have bad ribbons sometimes the owner isn't aware the ribbon or QR went bad. 

That set from Reno might be OK but the frame looks like it has a crack on the back of one unit, indicating it may have been dropped in transit.  Also says Local Pickup only.

• Thank You 2

Maggies are a special type of speaker. Not for everybody. But, if you can get a big pair for cheap money it's worth auditioning them. My finding agree with those above, lack deep bass, need tons of power, never get REALLY loud. But! They can sound incredible at moderate volume. We tortured the pair of MMG's last year at CF17, they were simply stunning with ALIII bases filled with Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1's and pushed by 1Kw amps.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, UncleMeat said:

Just a cautionary note; sometimes a Maggie with failed ribbons doesn't sound horrible.  The crossover slopes are shallow so the M/R can cover up for the lack of a tweeter making sound.  You have to listen to them yourself to determine if they have bad ribbons sometimes the owner isn't aware the ribbon or QR went bad. 

That set from Reno might be OK but the frame looks like it has a crack on the back of one unit, indicating it may have been dropped in transit.  Also says Local Pickup only.

Good points on the tweeter and the "crack".

Text details "Shipped in new factory boxes from Reno, NV.  Must sell and ship before September 2.  If ship, buyer pays shipping and insurance. "

Edited by iamjohngalt
  • Thank You 2

27 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Maggies are a special type of speaker. Not for everybody. But, if you can get a big pair for cheap money it's worth auditioning them. My finding agree with those above, lack deep bass, need tons of power, never get REALLY loud. But! They can sound incredible at moderate volume. We tortured the pair of MMG's last year at CF17, they were simply stunning with ALIII bases filled with Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1's and pushed by 1Kw amps.

Magnepans have incredible mid-bass, but they roll off at about 40-60 Hz so you really need a good sub.  I never thought my MG-IIB's were terrible in the lows but I did use eq to help the lows and I never played them super loud.  Properly set up and with a good sub they should sound great.

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

TBH, if your really considering Maggies, buy a pair of MMG's from Magnepan direct for 500, and use the 30 day window to see if that type of speaker is right for you (they used to offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy).  If they are what you want, decide if you want to return them (and buy used vintage), or trade them in (I think you get full replacement cost toward the model you buy).  Either way you get to hear them in your room, with your gear, and your music.

Honestly the MMG's are REALLY GOOD on their own, so maybe thats as high up as you need and add subs.

My wife HATES big box speakers, and speakers in general for the most part, but the Maggies she was ironically enough a fan of.

The other thing to mention is that they tend to have a fairly small sweet spot that can be a pain to dial in.  This isnt to say they dont sound good everywhere, but their sweet spot is very particular and literally big enough for one person.

**edit** apparently the MMG was replaced by the MMGi.  They are 650 a pair and come with a 60 day in home trial.  More info on them here

Edited by Bean
  • Thank You 4

Oh my. Thank you all for all the sage advice. I appreciate that a great deal. All in all, I am just interested if that was a good price. I don't have the discretionary money to buy speakers for a few months, and I have a slew of amps and a preamp that need upgrading. 

I was thinking that if a pair became available locally, and I became enchanted by them, what should I offer.

@Daddyjt-- Thank you for the kind offer Mark, and If I ever make it that far west again, be certain that I'll look you up!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Bean said:

TBH, if your really considering Maggies, buy a pair of MMG's from Magnepan direct for 500, and use the 30 day window to see if that type of speaker is right for you (they used to offer a 30 day no questions asked return policy).  If they are what you want, decide if you want to return them (and buy used vintage), or trade them in (I think you get full replacement cost toward the model you buy).  Either way you get to hear them in your room, with your gear, and your music.

Honestly the MMG's are REALLY GOOD on their own, so maybe thats as high up as you need and add subs.

Good advice, Bean, to get them in your own environment to decide.

I just hated the MMGs though. After having a pair of used MG2.5R's, in comparison the MMGs sounded like Bose (no highs, no lows) to me even with the same Carver TFM22 that I used with the 2.5's.

I have not heard the newer MMG whatevers, but I understand that now Magnepan encourages also buying their bass panel to make them sound better. I'd much rather have the used 2.5R's with the true ribbon and solid musical lows without a sub.

Edited by iamjohngalt
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

@Daddyjt-- Thank you for the kind offer Mark, and If I ever make it that far west again, be certain that I'll look you up! 

Dick,

If you do find your way out here into the Wild, Wild West, I'd really enjoy meeting you too.  Daddyjt and I live in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area.

That would rock no doubt!

Turbo

• That Rocks 1

51 minutes ago, Turbo said:

Dick,

If you do find your way out here into the Wild, Wild West, I'd really enjoy meeting you too.  Daddyjt and I live in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area.

That would rock no doubt!

Turbo

Thank you! I think so too.

There are several areas out west that I want to visit. I've never been to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas or Montana.