New member with interesting find?

So I was chatting with a co-worker earlier this week about his Rega planar 3 turntable ( we both have the older version) and offered to help him trouble shoot/repair some issues he's been having and today he shows up at my classroom door (yes we are both teachers) with a model C 400 preamp that he proceeds to give me as a gift! He has had it for years and is currently no longer using it and was searching for a 'good home' for it.  Very cool I know, but the interesting thing is the manual that came with it. It is all old school typewriter text with hand drawn diagrams and says 'Preliminary' on the cover. I thought it might be of interest to some here as a historical document of sorts.  If someone would let me know how to post images i could put up a few pages and then  if this is of any interest to anyone  I could scan the 33 pages and upload it if someone could tell me how/where to do that.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome, this week many regular members are at Carverfest!  I am also a teacher of high school math!

I’ll be at Carverfest Sunday!  Hopefully someone can help you soon!

barry

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, Chas said:

If someone would let me know how to post images i could put up a few pages and then  if this is of any interest to anyone  I could scan the 33 pages and upload it if someone could tell me how/where to do that.

Welcome to CS, Chas!. In the Reply box, see 

CS-Post-an-Image.png

• Thank You 1

Welcome aboard Chas!

That C4000 is reputed to be a very fine preamp. What a wonderful gift!

I’ve not had the pleasure of experiencing one. Yet.

As stated, many members are heading to CarverFest 2018.

Sadly I’m not gonna make it myself this year, but they’ll be checking in.

Tell us what other grear you have, your musical tastes, etc.

And now that you know how, post some pics!

We love all things audio, not just Carver.

Pull up a seat, pour yourself a favorite beverage and enjoy some music!

• Thank You 1

Hello Chas, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

When you get the chance, upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

That's a nice score on the C4000 and manual, and a great karma from your friend.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.6d3600cfb3e166bbbfdfbeb2515b025a.gif

• Thank You 1

Chas,

Welcome to the site!

Your friend’s generosity may end up costing you thousands of dollars. One Carver piece is usually followed by the desire for more!

Where are you located?

itch

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, itchitch said:

Chas,

Welcome to the site!

Your friend’s generosity may end up costing you thousands of dollars. One Carver piece is usually followed by the desire for all things Carver!

Where are you located?

itch

Fixed. :D

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • Haha 2

Welcome Chas!  Nice to have another Canuck in the group - I'm in Pickering, - not next door, but down the road and around the corner, and through the wood to...  

Definitely beware of @itchitch's and @Sk1bum's predictions.  I'm a recent victim of the dreaded OCCD, so I know the consequences all too well.  ?

That was definitely a considerable gift from your friend - a C-4000 is certainly a nice piece of kit, and will form a great center for a system.

I can tell you that the folk here seem to have a real wealth of knowledge and a real willingness to share it.  

Were you able to help out your friend with his Rega planar 3 issues?

• Thank You 1

Ok. Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, My wife had a big list of 'Honey Do's' this weekend. Anyway I did manage to get the C 4000 hooked up to my basement system ( I have three Mid-Fi two channel systems - more about those in the Members Systems forum later) which consists of an older Rega Planar 3 (with motor isolated from plinth), running a Nagaoka Mp110, going into a Sharp Optonica SA 5201 Receiver (45W RMS) and out to a pair of Dynaco A 25X speakers (Scanspeak drivers). The C 4000 went between the Rega and the Sharp. It sounded really, REALLY good! I was kind of stunned actually. I hadn't fiddled with any of the 'options' yet just used it straight through, and man'oman did I like what I was hearing!

Then I started to push some of the buttons to see how things worked.  First was the Peak Unlimiter,  then when I pushed the Auto Correlator the sound went all crackly and there was smoke rising from the left side of the unit.?  UUUGGGGGH! So now I'm looking for a tech who can work on this thing for me. ?

Welcome to the forum Chas.

Sorry to hear the "magic smoke" escaped from your C-4000 preamp....#-o

You might try contacting our member @Bonzoro as he seems to be the go-to tech

for the C-4000s.....hope you get it running again soon.

• Thank You 1

Good luck with the C-4000 - you can be sure that the folks here will help get it restored for you.

On a slightly separate topic, out of curiosity, how do you find the Nagaoka Mp100 cartridge? 

• Thank You 1

On my planar 3 with the rb 300 tonearm it sounds very good. I should mention that I haven't used any really expensive cartridges. I've heard some in othes' systems, and soon came to realize that the differences my ears could make out were not worth the (ongoing) cost of 'High-End' carts and styli.

For the cost, I find the Mp110 well worth it. I also run a Shure M91 ED (Aftermarket Stylus) on a stock  AR-XA, and an Ortofon 2Mred on an Optonica 7205. Prior to the Nag I was using a Ortofon OM 30 on the rega and I was satisfied with the detail retrieval and tracking ability that I was getting, as well as the overall sound (although it was a smidgen on the bright side for my taste.)

I find the Mp110 to be very smooth, with more than sufficient bass (for me) and amazingly revealing for the cost. Also it is an absolutely masterful tracker, with very little surface noise (something that I found rather distasteful in the OM 30 in this set-up). I think what I like most about the MP110 is the mid-range presentation. I'm a mid-range guy more than a base-head and this cartridge does a superb job with its' midrange presentation. I did quite like the OM 30 on my Optonica deck (moreso than the 2Mred) so I am planing on switching those two out.

Hope that helps.

• Thank You 1

Thanks @Chas - I've been toying with getting a new cartridge, and that was one I was pondering, but I had no idea whether it was good, bad, or ugly.  Very much appreciated!

The tracking aspect is definitely of interest.  That's always a tough aspect, so it's great to know it holds well to the groove.  I can see the OM 30 having issues with that, although the sound in general is likely great.

Thanks again - great food for thought.

• Thank You 1