Hello! New to the Carver Site.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Nick and I hail from northern Illinois.  I've been into audio since I was a little kid but never really knew what I was doing...still don't!  I first got into Carver stuff a year or two ago.  I was cruising craigslist for gear and found some old Kef speakers.  I'm of English heritage, so I'm a bit of a sucker for Kef and other British audio gear.  So, I go over to this guy's place and he plays these Kef's for me on a random system he has set up.  They sound awesome, so I pay the man and take them home.  Hook them up to my janky old Denon receiver and I was so disappointed.  I was trying to figure out what kind of black magic he pulled on me.  While I was there, he had tried to sell me some equipment he had lying around.  He had a Parasound pre-amp and amp combo and an Onkyo pre-amp with a Carver AV-405.  I'd never heard of any of this stuff, but I called him right back and said I'd buy it all to take advantage of the old Kefs.  What little did I know about the slippery slope had just fell down.  

I started reading about Carver and got hooked.  Not long after, I got myself a C-1 off of eBay and loved it.   Next thing I know, I've got the thing torn apart and I'm doing the billD mods.  Now I've got this amazing pre-amp and the AV-405 that has a dead front channel so I'm running my system with the one good channel and the center...not ideal.  I've pretty much settled on swapping it out for an M500t because I can't get over how pretty it is and who doesn't love some old school power displays???  Just yesterday I thought I had found an M500t in town but, alas, it was sold an hour before I emailed him.  But then, he threw a wrench in my plan.  He says he's got a 1.5t with a weak channel and a 1.0t with a hum.  Says he'd sell either of them to me for $100.  So, now I'm really tempted to buy them both and see if I can fix them up.  What do you guys think?

Anyway, here's a summary of the jank-tastic system I'm running right now:

Pre-amp/amp

Carver C-1, BillD recap/upgrade

Carver AV-405 with a dead channel

Speakers:

KEF Q300 bookshelfs on stands

Sources:

B&O Beogram 3404

iPad/Dragonfly Red DAC

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 3

5 minutes ago, nwlaznik said:

He says he's got a 1.5t with a weak channel and a 1.0t with a hum.  Says he'd sell either of them to me for $100.  So, now I'm really tempted to buy them both and see if I can fix them up.  What do you guys think?

Anyway, here's a summary of the jank-tastic system I'm running right now:

Pre-amp/amp

Carver C-1, BillD recap/upgrade

Carver AV-405 with a dead channel

Speakers:

KEF Q300 bookshelfs on stands

Sources:

B&O Beogram 3404

iPad/Dragonfly Red DAC

@nwlaznik,

Welcome to the site!

You're gonna love it here and you already know what I'm going to say, but I would jump all over that M-1.5t and M-1.0t if it were me.  I repaired my M-1.5t and have been finding my musical nirvana ever since.

Great start you've got going on already there and I'm certain you'll be bitten by the OCCD like most here have and will love every second of it.

So kick back, relax and hang around with us all for awhile.

Turbo

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the site! If it was me I would buy those amps and get them as fast as I could if they are in good cosmetic shape!  Sounds like you are tech savvy so I have confidence you can fix them. Welcome to the land of Carver....grin. This is a great site full of great people and information. If you need help ask......grin

Edited by Dadvw
  • Thank You 2

Welcome to the site nwlaznik!

Sounds like you already got bit with OCCD (Obsessive Craver Collecting Disorder)

I agree with the others - grab them before I get there.:D

If you do need help in their revivals, there is a great bunch here that are beyond generous with their expertise.

Meanwhile, crank up some tunes, sit back and enjoy the show!

• Thank You 2

Run, (don't walk) and buy both! As you can see in my signature line that I have both and love them. I run them in a vertical bi-amp set up. I payed much more for one than you will for both and feel like I got  a steal! :)

welcome home.jpg

Not to mention that  both have historical significance via the Carver amp challenges!

Hello Nick,and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

On those amps, get them both, but offer him $175 for the pair. The worst he will do is say no.

When you get the chance, upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.5bb9cd67e7368b17e523a732be837b2b.gif

• Thank You 1

No cover here buy them! With the help of the experts here you'll get them up and running.

I started with my original m400t bought new. Moved to 1.5t then to M500tMk2 then added Tfm45.

All rebuilt aquired another m400t, 1.5t along the way. Couple of sunfire subs too.

Enjoy and welcome to the site!!

Edited by Retriever
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  You're already a bad influence on me!  I did the deal for the M1.0t and M1.5t this morning.  They're outside sitting in my trunk which is making it really hard to focus on work today!  I'll get some pictures posted of everything sometime this weekend.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 5

2 hours ago, nwlaznik said:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.  You're already a bad influence on me!  I did the deal for the M1.0t and M1.5t this morning.  They're outside sitting in my trunk which is making it really hard to focus on work today!  I'll get some pictures posted of everything sometime this weekend.

If you have any interest in liquidating either one of those, let me know.......lol

• Thank You 1

Welcome and so sorry for what is about to happen to your wallet !!!  ?

Seriously - MKII Opt 2 that M1.0t and refresh the caps in the M1.5t and you will enjoy them for a long, long time.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Admin

You have the OCCD bug.  Don't fight it, breath in deep, and enjoy.

Nice score - $100 each, that is a bargain.

There's a number of us on theCarverSite!  here in northern Illinois.  I'm a member of a few local audio groups - the resident "Carver guy" in them - our paths should cross if you get out there.  The dude you bought those amps from sounds familiar... ?

Welcome , and show us some pics when you can.

Welcome Nick.  Great folks in here ready to make your ears the happiest they have ever been.   i came in here the 405  as well and now own a 500t with the cool blue lights and still use the 405 with my TV set up. 

All the best,

Dave

• That Rocks 1