Papajoe

Well, I am back to visit the site.

Hi all,

While many of you were enjoying Carverfest, I was having hip replacement surgery. The original one that came with me body, just plain old wore out. Everything went really well with the procedure and I am home, recovering now. I have been suffering with a bad right hip for a long time now. It was showing as a persistent problem even when I was working. I would just put it off as tired from work.  Finally, after I retired, it started getting really annoying. So, I swallowed my 'male pride' and went to the orthopedic center. When I saw the X-rays, I could see the actual truth. No cartilege  left between the ball and socket and lots of little pieces of bone in the area. The doctor said that he could see that it had happened over a long time period. When they removed the ball, it was also cracked. So, I have a plastic relined socket and a ceramic ball on a titanium shaft.  No pain, no limp. Just need time to let it all heal.  Feeling pretty good and, as planned, starting on the refurbishment of the TFM-9, to keep me busy.

Papajoe

• Thank You 10
  • That Rocks 1

I hope PT gets you back to normal soon!  

Thanks for the update!  I am glad my knee surgery did not interfere with CF18!  I’m back in PT after a week off!  

Good to to hear from you old friend!

Barry

• Thank You 2

The surgery certainly come a ways. Good to hear that you are doing well. If they ever have a brain replacement procedure, count me in.

• Thank You 1

Waiting may have got you better care!  My sister had both hips done at the Center for Special Surgery about a year ago. They went in from the front, no cutting of muscle like the older technique from the glute side. Her originals wore out too - lives in Manhattan, doesn't drive, walks miles every day to get around.  The CSS in NYC had her w/o pain, and walking in less than a week.  Crazy how the hip surgery has improved.  She's in the best shape of her life, now, at 63.

Glad to see you are back - like Dominic asked, I'm thinking we need to see some of that ironwork art.

• Thank You 3

Grats on able to bounce quickly back from surgery. My left knee was done 33 years ago with the old method even for back then. The surgeon felt with the damage sustained it would provide the most stability.

I only bring this up as I was too young at the time for knee replacement. Now I go to the VA and get asked how has it been I will tell them while they are looking for a replacement for their replacement. The life cycle I'm told is 20 years for them.

In physical therapy I was talking with another vet who apparently had some alergic reaction so he had to quickly go again under the knife. He's the first I've spoken about reacting to a replacement.

It's so easy to have unexpected reactions so do well with your recovery.

Welcome back to the site! Glad you could join us again!.......grin. My daughter had hers done and is living better because of it. May your recovery be a blessed one.