New member from the Seattle area

Hello all,

New member here.

I picked up a few tube radios at an estate sale about 5 years ago and got hooked. I bought everything in sight it seemed and then settled on Zenith. Love those old Zenith cube radios. I've restored all of my Zenith cubes myself.  I've found lots of great gear at estate sales which includes 1000's of vacuum tubes, many parts radios, and some test gear. My wife says I'm a hoarder and she may be right.

Then I got hooked on Marantz 70's gear and ended up buying a 2238B, two 2245's, 2285B receiver, and a couple of 5025B cassette decks. I also have two Dual 1219's TT's. One I bought restored and the other I restored myself. I have a couple more Dual's in the queue to restore. 

I recently bought a Carver MXR-150 that I'm picking up today. I started doing research on Carver and discovered that they are from the Seattle area. 

In a previous addiction I restored antique clocks and still do on occasion.

Anyway, I hope to learn a lot here about Carver gear.

Are there any Carver tech members in the Seattle area that do repairs? I may need some help.

Thanks...Carter

Edited by Zenith4me
Revised MXR-130 to MXR-150
  • Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome to the forum, Carter. 

Great to have you join the community.  There's a few here with an affinity for the MXR-130.

I restored my grandfather's table-top tube radio. He listened to "the fights" on Saturday night, and radio free Europe back during the WWII days on it. It's an heirloom, now.

It was a Garod 830, circa 1937. 

Welcome!  You'll like it here.

Edited by AndrewJohn

Hello Carter, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

When you get the chance, upload some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

Many years ago, there was a Zenith TV manufacturing facility here. I have a few friends that worked there.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.c50038af83498f29f57c43c1ffb6a4f1.gif

I just picked up my MXR-130. I bought it at the Seattle Goodwill store for $38. The description stated the display didn't work but it did power on. I brought it up slowly on my variac and the display works but was slow. At first it wasn't there and then it appeared. I hooked up some speakers and on FM it appears to be working fine.  I think I scored a nice receiver here! Now to go down the Carver rabbit hole and learn how to restore it.  

I'll be opening her up and will post some pics in the appropriate forum after my Sunday brunch outing.

Carter

Edited by Zenith4me
typo
  • Thank You 2

Welcome @Zenith4Me.  Given your interests, you are definitely are in the right place!  As a relative newcomer, I can attest to how welcoming the folks here are.

I'd warn you about OCCD, but given your great receiver find, it's clearly way too late, so just enjoy the ride.  ?  With your skills, a find like that receiver is going to be easy to go from a cheap find to a great piece of equipment.  If you have questions, you will definitely be able to find help here.

Keep at the Zeniths though.  ?

Let me know when the tuner display quits, which I figure it will. There's a vari-cap that ages poorly on the tuner 'sandwich' of boards. Sometimes just hitting it with DeoxIt brings function back. Replace the output relays ASAP for cleaner sound, too.